Remote Desktop Connection and Terminal Services...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hi all,

We have a W2K terminal server serving a remote office through an internet
connection. Our clients wants to access their local drives while they are in
a terminal server session. The article KB272519 clearly says it is not
possible in W2K when using internet. But the article KB313292 says you can
use a new feature called "Remote Desktop Connection" when connecting to 2003
server and XP and access local drives when connecting through the internet.
But which is the relationship between "Remote Desktop Connection" (RDC) and
the terminal server? Does the RDC blocks the 2003 server computer from
another users as other remote access programs do? Can I have various
terminal server sessions using simultaneously RDC? And how about XP? Can I
have many simultaneous RDC sessions in a XP Proffessional box? My suspicion
is why local drive access is not a Terminal Services feature instead of
Remote Desktop Connection feature...

Thanks in advance
Faustino

Faustino Dina wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have a W2K terminal server serving a remote office through an
> internet connection. Our clients wants to access their local drives
> while they are in a terminal server session. The article KB272519
> clearly says it is not possible in W2K when using internet.

Not possible at all, actually, in W2k TS.

> But the
> article KB313292 says you can use a new feature called "Remote
> Desktop Connection" when connecting to 2003 server and XP and access
> local drives when connecting through the internet.

Or from any network connection, yes. "Remote Desktop Connection" is kind of
generic - means you can connect to a TS box or an XP Pro workstation.

> But which is the
> relationship between "Remote Desktop Connection" (RDC) and the
> terminal server?

You need a W2003 terminal server, or need to connect to an XP Pro
workstation configured with Remote Desktop, to get this.

> Does the RDC blocks the 2003 server computer from
> another users as other remote access programs do?

Not sure what you mean. You can have only one connection/login to an XP
box - whether remotely, or at the console.

> Can I have various
> terminal server sessions using simultaneously RDC?

Yes, if you have a terminal server. If you want local drive redirection,
you'll need W2003 instead of W2000.

> And how about XP?

See above.

> Can I have many simultaneous RDC sessions in a XP Proffessional box?

No, unfortunately.

> My suspicion is why local drive access is not a Terminal Services
> feature instead of Remote Desktop Connection feature...

This is just a terminology change, really. I think that's what's confused
you....

> Thanks in advance
> Faustino

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

RDC is just a fancy name for a Terminal Server connection.
Redirection of local drives is supported on Windows 2003 Terminal
Services, but not on W2K TS.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT