Canon XL1s, during playback sound goes in and out?

I have a Canon XL1s. When I playback a tape previously recorded from
another Canon XL1, the sound goes in and out. In the display it keeps
switching from saying "16 bit" to "STEREO 1". Every
time it switches to "STEREO 1" is when the sound goes out. But if I
record a tape on the XL1s and play it back, it plays fine. Also if I
play those previously recorded tapes in a 3rd player, they will play
fine. So basically, it's like my XL1s, doesn't like tapes previously
recorded in other camcorders. Any suggestions on a fix or what causes
this? Thanks.

Just a Friend wrote:
> "Ded" <ded_serious@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> |I have a Canon XL1s. When I playback a tape previously recorded
from
> | another Canon XL1, the sound goes in and out. In the display it
keeps
> | switching from saying "16 bit" to "STEREO 1". Every
> | time it switches to "STEREO 1" is when the sound goes out. But if
> | record a tape on the XL1s and play it back, it plays fine. Also if
> | play those previously recorded tapes in a 3rd player, they will
play
> | fine. So basically, it's like my XL1s, doesn't like tapes
previously
> | recorded in other camcorders. Any suggestions on a fix or what
causes
> | this? Thanks.
> |

> Did you record standard play or long play. Long play recording (90
minutes
> on standard-length tapes) is reported to cause interchangeability
issues.

> SB

It was long play. Thanks. I'm getting a copy of a standard play tape
I did tonight and going to test that. That's probably the problem,
thanks again.

-Ded