Connection succeeds using IP address but not DNS name?!

January 26, 2005 6:51:04 AM

Here is an RDP head-scratcher you may be able to help me with.

I am tring to connect to a client on my local network using RDP. Connection
to the remote computer succeeds when specifying the client's IP address, but
fails when using its fully qualified DNS name. DNS is set up correctly on the
local network and I can ping the destination computer using its DNS name. I
can also successfully RDP to other clients in the LAN using their DNS names.
The destination computer has has no firewall enabled.

What is different about this one problem client?

To sum up:
- RDP works using IP address, but fails using DNS name.
- I can ping the client's DNS name.
- RDP to other clients in the LAN using DNS names succeeds.

Any suggestions?

Kerry

More about : connection succeeds address dns

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 3:36:58 PM

Can you do other TCP based connections using DNS Name like try doing "net
use" to the machine you were trying to do RDP?
Also try using Netmon to see if DNS queries are being sent or not our on the
proper interface on not when RDP or other connections are being initiated.
--
-Pawan [MSFT]

rights."
"Kerry" <Kerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here is an RDP head-scratcher you may be able to help me with.
>
> I am tring to connect to a client on my local network using RDP.
> Connection
> to the remote computer succeeds when specifying the client's IP address,
> but
> fails when using its fully qualified DNS name. DNS is set up correctly on
> the
> local network and I can ping the destination computer using its DNS name.
> can also successfully RDP to other clients in the LAN using their DNS
> names.
> The destination computer has has no firewall enabled.
>
> What is different about this one problem client?
>
> To sum up:
> - RDP works using IP address, but fails using DNS name.
> - I can ping the client's DNS name.
> - RDP to other clients in the LAN using DNS names succeeds.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Kerry
January 28, 2005 4:41:06 PM

Follow up:

The problem seems to have corrected itself. Today I could log in to said
remote client using the DNS name even though I made no explicit changes
anywhere in the system. Perhaps their was some time sensitive network or DNS
cache thingy that needed to sort itself out.

Thanks for the tips.