How to extract audio and video frame from video files

Hi,

I'd like to extract audio data and video frames from video files on
Linux. Where should I start? I prefer the video file is in a free format.

Regards,
Derek

On a sunny day (18 Feb 2005 09:44:09 -0800) it happened
derekli.london@gmail.com (Derek Li) wrote in
<aa9ec083.0502180944.41e282d6@posting.google.com>:

>Hi,
>
>I'd like to extract audio data and video frames from video files on
>Linux. Where should I start? I prefer the video file is in a free format.
>
>Regards,
>Derek
What is you input format?

I don't know which format is good yet. As I said, hope the audio-video
file's format is not patented.