Remote desktop over VPN?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

We have remote clients and yesterday I asked one of them to connect to VPN
so I can do a remote desktop session. Well, when I forced her logoff so
that I could get in to the Remote Desktop session, the VPN disconnected.
Logically, after thinking about it, I guess it makes sense. Her account
connected to the VPN, and when logged off, the connection went w/ it.

Obvious question... any workaround to this?

There is a registry setting which you can manipulate to do this. If you are
uncomfortable manipulating the registry, you can have the user download
Microsoft's TweakUI for Windows XP, from the Powertoys section of the
Windows XP site. This utility will allow you to set "Keep RAS connections
after logoff," in the "Logon" section of the utility, which will allow these
to persist.

You can download this from:

Hope this helps.

- Eric

"John" <noSPAM@please.net> wrote in message
> We have remote clients and yesterday I asked one of them to connect to VPN
> so I can do a remote desktop session. Well, when I forced her logoff so
> that I could get in to the Remote Desktop session, the VPN disconnected.
> Logically, after thinking about it, I guess it makes sense. Her account
> connected to the VPN, and when logged off, the connection went w/ it.
>
> Obvious question... any workaround to this?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Rather than installing TweakUI, can I get this registry entry from
somewhere? I don't mind editing/adding myself.

Thanks for your help!

"Eric McWhorter" <creditinterlink@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> There is a registry setting which you can manipulate to do this. If you
> are uncomfortable manipulating the registry, you can have the user
> download Microsoft's TweakUI for Windows XP, from the Powertoys section of
> the Windows XP site. This utility will allow you to set "Keep RAS
> connections after logoff," in the "Logon" section of the utility, which
> will allow these to persist.
>
> You can download this from:

> Hope this helps.
>
> - Eric
>
> "John" <noSPAM@please.net> wrote in message
>> We have remote clients and yesterday I asked one of them to connect to
>> VPN so I can do a remote desktop session. Well, when I forced her logoff
>> so that I could get in to the Remote Desktop session, the VPN
>> disconnected. Logically, after thinking about it, I guess it makes sense.
>> Her account connected to the VPN, and when logged off, the connection
>> went w/ it.
>>
>> Obvious question... any workaround to this?

I am currently attempting to locate it. One question - is the remote user a
member of a Windows domain, or is this a standalone XP Pro machine?

> Rather than installing TweakUI, can I get this registry entry from
> somewhere? I don't mind editing/adding myself.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>

> "Eric McWhorter" <creditinterlink@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>> There is a registry setting which you can manipulate to do this. If you
>> are uncomfortable manipulating the registry, you can have the user
>> download Microsoft's TweakUI for Windows XP, from the Powertoys section
>> of the Windows XP site. This utility will allow you to set "Keep RAS
>> connections after logoff," in the "Logon" section of the utility, which
>> will allow these to persist.
>>
>> You can download this from:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> - Eric
>>
>> "John" <noSPAM@please.net> wrote in message
>>> We have remote clients and yesterday I asked one of them to connect to
>>> VPN so I can do a remote desktop session. Well, when I forced her
>>> logoff so that I could get in to the Remote Desktop session, the VPN
>>> disconnected. Logically, after thinking about it, I guess it makes
>>> sense. Her account connected to the VPN, and when logged off, the
>>> connection went w/ it.
>>>
>>> Obvious question... any workaround to this?

Here you go:

Key:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon]
Value Name: KeepRASConnections
Data Type: REG_SZ
Data:(0=disable, 1=enable)

Hope that helps.

- Eric

>I am currently attempting to locate it. One question - is the remote user
>a member of a Windows domain, or is this a standalone XP Pro machine?
>
> - Eric
>
> "John" <noSPAM@please.net> wrote in message
>> Rather than installing TweakUI, can I get this registry entry from
>> somewhere? I don't mind editing/adding myself.
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>>

>> "Eric McWhorter" <creditinterlink@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>>> There is a registry setting which you can manipulate to do this. If you
>>> are uncomfortable manipulating the registry, you can have the user
>>> download Microsoft's TweakUI for Windows XP, from the Powertoys section
>>> of the Windows XP site. This utility will allow you to set "Keep RAS
>>> connections after logoff," in the "Logon" section of the utility, which
>>> will allow these to persist.
>>>
>>> You can download this from:
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> - Eric
>>>
>>> "John" <noSPAM@please.net> wrote in message

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Yes, member.

"Eric McWhorter" <creditinterlink@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>I am currently attempting to locate it. One question - is the remote user
>a member of a Windows domain, or is this a standalone XP Pro machine?
>
> - Eric
>
> "John" <noSPAM@please.net> wrote in message
>> Rather than installing TweakUI, can I get this registry entry from
>> somewhere? I don't mind editing/adding myself.
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>>

>> "Eric McWhorter" <creditinterlink@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>>> There is a registry setting which you can manipulate to do this. If you
>>> are uncomfortable manipulating the registry, you can have the user
>>> download Microsoft's TweakUI for Windows XP, from the Powertoys section
>>> of the Windows XP site. This utility will allow you to set "Keep RAS
>>> connections after logoff," in the "Logon" section of the utility, which
>>> will allow these to persist.
>>>
>>> You can download this from:
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> - Eric
>>>
>>> "John" <noSPAM@please.net> wrote in message

I thought so, but wanted to make sure - with XP Pro standalone with fast
user switching enabled, you can have multiple simultaneous logon sessions,
and access one at a time via RDP - which would have enabled the VPN
connection to remain connected in one session, while you connected to
another. Joining a machine to a domain removes that as a possibility.