VPN and Mapping Drives

Server is W2K SP4
Laptops are XP Pro SP2

Logging into VPN, then trying to map 5 drives by using a batch file.

2 drives map reliably. 3 do not. Error is always: System error 53 has
occured - network path not found.

If I take the same VPN settings and login... and the same batch file... and
use them on a SP1 XP Pro machine... all 5 map reliably, repeatably, happily,
consistently etc.

XP SP2 firewall is disabled.

I have assigned permissions and security settings on the shared folders for
the mappings letter for letter identical.

HOSTS and LMHOSTS files on both machines are identical.

Tomster

Are the 3 mapping which are failing are always same? If so for the failing
drive mappings try to ping the remote machines to see if machines are
reachable.

I hope these machines are in your private network over which ping will not
be disabled.
--
-Pawan [MSFT]

rights."
"Tomster" <tomster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Server is W2K SP4
> Laptops are XP Pro SP2
>
> Logging into VPN, then trying to map 5 drives by using a batch file.
>
> 2 drives map reliably. 3 do not. Error is always: System error 53 has
> occured - network path not found.
>
> If I take the same VPN settings and login... and the same batch file...
> and
> use them on a SP1 XP Pro machine... all 5 map reliably, repeatably,
> happily,
> consistently etc.
>
> XP SP2 firewall is disabled.
>
> I have assigned permissions and security settings on the shared folders
> for
> the mappings letter for letter identical.
>
> HOSTS and LMHOSTS files on both machines are identical.

> Tomster

Yes - we can ping.

The drives we are mapping are actually five folders on the same machine e.g.

Mapped drive T = \\server\folder_1\folder_a
Mapped drive U = \\\server\folder_1\folder_b
Mapped drive V = \\\server\folder_1\folder_c
Mapped drive W = \\\server\folder_1\folder_d
Mapped drive X = \\\server\folder_1\folder_e

In this example T and W would be mapping each time, the others do not.