Scan with camera

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 14, 2005 6:58:58 AM

What would be the minimum specs for a camera to photograph
documents & pages to be uploadedto a computer?Could
a cheapie 3mp do this ok?
Laurence

More about : scan camera

July 14, 2005 6:58:59 AM

Laurence wrote:
> What would be the minimum specs for a camera to photograph
> documents & pages to be uploadedto a computer?Could
> a cheapie 3mp do this ok?
> Laurence

How big are the pages? How big is the type? Do you just wantt ot read what is on the
page, or do OCR.

The OCR program I use wants pages to be scanned at 300 ppi. For an 8X10" page, that is 7
Mp. To just read the type, 150 ppi is probably enough, or 2 Mp.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 6:58:59 AM

"Laurence" <erambam@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> What would be the minimum specs for a camera to photograph
> documents & pages to be uploadedto a computer?Could
> a cheapie 3mp do this ok?
> Laurence

If all you want to do is read the document on the screen, 3 MP is a big
plenty.
For viewing on the computer only, it is maybe too much.

If you want make a editable document on the computer, it is not enough.
OCR programs need 300 DPI to convert the text.

For a 8.5 X 11 inch document that is 2550 x 3300 Pixels. Which is 8.415
MegaPixels.

A cheap flatbed scanner is best for A4 or Letter Size documents.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com