ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I have a usb/1394 pci card, an internal hub with usb/1394 ports , and an
external usb/1394 hub. both hubs are powered.

when i shutdown the system, the system turns off except for the fan
controller which remains on and continues to spin its connected fans.

the internal hub has a 12v dc port. i was able to work around the shutdown
issue by elimenating the external hub power brick and powering the external
hub from the 12v dc port on the internal hub.

can anyone explain what is an apparent power bleed and why the workaround
was necessary? is this just some glitch of 1394, is it the configuration
setup?

It was rather fortunate that the internal hub had a 12v dc port - perhaps
they included it on the internal hub for this situation?

> > >I have a usb/1394 pci card, an internal hub with usb/1394 ports ,
and an
> > > external usb/1394 hub. both hubs are powered.
> > >
> > > when i shutdown the system, the system turns off except for the
fan
> > > controller which remains on and continues to spin its connected
fans.

> > > the internal hub has a 12v dc port. i was able to work around the
> shutdown
> > > issue by elimenating the external hub power brick and powering
the
> > > external
> > > hub from the 12v dc port on the internal hub.
> > >
> > > can anyone explain what is an apparent power bleed and why the
> workaround
> > > was necessary? is this just some glitch of 1394, is it the
configuration
> > > setup?
> > >
> > > It was rather fortunate that the internal hub had a 12v dc port -
> perhaps
> > > they included it on the internal hub for this situation?

If the internal hub is powered from the PC supply it should respond to
the power off since the PC power supply switches off.

If it externally powered you would need some signal to its power supply
to get it to recognise a power off situation.

If you post the make and model number we might be able to give you a
better answer.

I have never seen a system that kept its fans running after a
powerdown. I have seen a few where the power off command waits until
the component temperatures are below a specific value.

In article <4216dbd5_2@news1.prserv.net>, kmk1@att.net says...
> Subject: firewire question
> From: "Ken" <kmk1@att.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> I have a usb/1394 pci card, an internal hub with usb/1394 ports , and an
> external usb/1394 hub. both hubs are powered.
>
> when i shutdown the system, the system turns off except for the fan
> controller which remains on and continues to spin its connected fans.
>
> the internal hub has a 12v dc port. i was able to work around the shutdown
> issue by elimenating the external hub power brick and powering the external
> hub from the 12v dc port on the internal hub.
>
> can anyone explain what is an apparent power bleed and why the workaround
> was necessary? is this just some glitch of 1394, is it the configuration
> setup?
>
> It was rather fortunate that the internal hub had a 12v dc port - perhaps
> they included it on the internal hub for this situation?

What fans are you talking about? If it's a fan on a HD enclosure or
other device that gets hot it may have a temp. sensor that runs the fan
until the enclosure is cool.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

The fans hooked up to the fan controller are 4 case fans. If the system is
shutdown without the workaround i mentioned, these fans continue to spin.
"Chris Phillipo" <cphillipo@ramsays-online.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> >I have a usb/1394 pci card, an internal hub with usb/1394 ports , and an
> > external usb/1394 hub. both hubs are powered.
> >
> > when i shutdown the system, the system turns off except for the fan
> > controller which remains on and continues to spin its connected fans.
> >
> > the internal hub has a 12v dc port. i was able to work around the
shutdown
> > issue by elimenating the external hub power brick and powering the
> > external
> > hub from the 12v dc port on the internal hub.
> >
> > can anyone explain what is an apparent power bleed and why the
workaround
> > was necessary? is this just some glitch of 1394, is it the configuration
> > setup?
> >
> > It was rather fortunate that the internal hub had a 12v dc port -
perhaps
> > they included it on the internal hub for this situation?

I asked because I use a FW hub here and had numerous problems with FW
devices until I removed the power to the hub and let the host power it. I
had no need for it anyway since everything hanging off the hub had its own
power.

"Ken" <kmk1@att.net> wrote in message news:42178d54_4@news1.prserv.net...
> the external usb/1394 hub has power so it has 500ma per port on the usb
> side
> otherwise it is a bus powered hub.. the internal hub has 2 power
> connections
> one for usb, one for 1394. removing either one disables the corresponding
> function.
> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
>> Why are you powering the hubs?
>> "Ken" <kmk1@att.net> wrote in message news:4216dbd5_2@news1.prserv.net...
>> >I have a usb/1394 pci card, an internal hub with usb/1394 ports , and an
>> > external usb/1394 hub. both hubs are powered.
>> >
>> > when i shutdown the system, the system turns off except for the fan
>> > controller which remains on and continues to spin its connected fans.
>> >
>> > the internal hub has a 12v dc port. i was able to work around the
> shutdown
>> > issue by elimenating the external hub power brick and powering the
>> > external
>> > hub from the 12v dc port on the internal hub.
>> >
>> > can anyone explain what is an apparent power bleed and why the
> workaround
>> > was necessary? is this just some glitch of 1394, is it the
>> > configuration
>> > setup?
>> >
>> > It was rather fortunate that the internal hub had a 12v dc port -
> perhaps
>> > they included it on the internal hub for this situation?

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

the only reason i powered the external usb/1394 hub was for the usb side -
have a modem that needs 400ma. i am now powering the external hub from the
12v port on the internal hub.

> I asked because I use a FW hub here and had numerous problems with FW
> devices until I removed the power to the hub and let the host power it. I
> had no need for it anyway since everything hanging off the hub had its own
> power.
>

> "Ken" <kmk1@att.net> wrote in message news:42178d54_4@news1.prserv.net...
> > the external usb/1394 hub has power so it has 500ma per port on the usb
> > side
> > otherwise it is a bus powered hub.. the internal hub has 2 power
> > connections
> > one for usb, one for 1394. removing either one disables the
corresponding
> > function.
> > "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
> >> Why are you powering the hubs?
> >> "Ken" <kmk1@att.net> wrote in message

> > shutdown

> > workaround

> > perhaps

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

the psu is an antec 380. the internal hub is koutech rcm1020 - usb/1394/card
reader/12v and 5v dc ports . the external hub is a trendnet tfu-430. the
problem of the fan controller and case fans remaining on after shutdown
occurs if the external is powered with its brick, and goes away if the
external is powered using the 12v dc port on the internal. external power is
not really needed for the 1394 side, but is needed for a 400ma usb modem.