TMPGEnc DVD Author / Studio 9 help

Hi,

I'm trying to find a way to get my DVDs I make with my set-top DVD
recorder into my system so that Studio 9 Plus will work with them.
TMPGEnc DVD Author lookes very promising, but there's a problem; it
will import the DVD fine, and make a .MPG file that Studio will
import, detect chapters, and display, but it won't play them. I can
edit scenes out, I can move them, I can do just about everything but
play them and actually render them.
I'm using the trial version, if that makes a difference (I didn't see
anything that said it would).
I've been using a Dazzle DC150b, which is real-time, and I'm looking
for a way to cut the time down.Can anyone help?
Thanks!
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

"Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find a way to get my DVDs I make with my set-top DVD
> recorder into my system so that Studio 9 Plus will work with them.
> TMPGEnc DVD Author lookes very promising, but there's a problem; it
> will import the DVD fine, and make a .MPG file that Studio will
> import, detect chapters, and display, but it won't play them. I can
> edit scenes out, I can move them, I can do just about everything but
> play them and actually render them.
> I'm using the trial version, if that makes a difference (I didn't see
> anything that said it would).
> I've been using a Dazzle DC150b, which is real-time, and I'm looking
> for a way to cut the time down.Can anyone help?
> Thanks!
> --
> Bill Funk

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "play them" and to
which program you are referring. The closest thing to "play" in
either program would be the preview functions they have.

If you are able to "display" in TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA)
I can't see what it is you are driving at. Are you saying that it
allow you to use the Chapter cut edit function? Or you can't
make menu(s) and output to a DVD file structure?

Luck;
Ken

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:04:12 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to find a way to get my DVDs I make with my set-top DVD
>> recorder into my system so that Studio 9 Plus will work with them.
>> TMPGEnc DVD Author lookes very promising, but there's a problem; it
>> will import the DVD fine, and make a .MPG file that Studio will
>> import, detect chapters, and display, but it won't play them. I can
>> edit scenes out, I can move them, I can do just about everything but
>> play them and actually render them.
>> I'm using the trial version, if that makes a difference (I didn't see
>> anything that said it would).
>> I've been using a Dazzle DC150b, which is real-time, and I'm looking
>> for a way to cut the time down.Can anyone help?
>> Thanks!
>> --
>> Bill Funk
>
> I'm not sure what you mean when you say "play them" and to
>which program you are referring. The closest thing to "play" in
>either program would be the preview functions they have.

That's it; click on the 'Play' arrow in the preview pane of Studio.

> If you are able to "display" in TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA)
>I can't see what it is you are driving at. Are you saying that it
>allow you to use the Chapter cut edit function? Or you can't
>make menu(s) and output to a DVD file structure?

I'm trying to use Studio after TMPGEnc has made the MPG file.
Studio seems to import the MPG file, and detect the scenes, and the
scenes can be put in the timeline to be edited. I can cut scenes, move
them around, all the normal editing stuff, but I can't then render the
final clip, nor can I view it in the preview pane at any time.

WMP will play the MPG files just fine, but I kinda expected that.

--

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:04:12 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
> <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>"Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to find a way to get my DVDs I make with my set-top DVD
>>> recorder into my system so that Studio 9 Plus will work with them.
>>> TMPGEnc DVD Author lookes very promising, but there's a problem; it
>>> will import the DVD fine, and make a .MPG file that Studio will
>>> import, detect chapters, and display, but it won't play them. I can
>>> edit scenes out, I can move them, I can do just about everything but
>>> play them and actually render them.
>>> I'm using the trial version, if that makes a difference (I didn't see
>>> anything that said it would).
>>> I've been using a Dazzle DC150b, which is real-time, and I'm looking
>>> for a way to cut the time down.Can anyone help?
>>> Thanks!
>>> --
>>> Bill Funk
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean when you say "play them" and to
>>which program you are referring. The closest thing to "play" in
>>either program would be the preview functions they have.
>
> That's it; click on the 'Play' arrow in the preview pane of Studio.
>>
>> If you are able to "display" in TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA)
>>I can't see what it is you are driving at. Are you saying that it
>>allow you to use the Chapter cut edit function? Or you can't
>>make menu(s) and output to a DVD file structure?
>
> I'm trying to use Studio after TMPGEnc has made the MPG file.
> Studio seems to import the MPG file, and detect the scenes, and the
> scenes can be put in the timeline to be edited. I can cut scenes, move
> them around, all the normal editing stuff, but I can't then render the
> final clip, nor can I view it in the preview pane at any time.
>
> WMP will play the MPG files just fine, but I kinda expected that.

That sounds like there may be a problem with Studio then. I haven't
used that program, and don't know how it works with MPEG video.
I assume that you have walked through the process as it is described
in your manual or the help files. The product's web site might have a
forum as well as a FAQ listing.

Luck;
Ken

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:18:08 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:04:12 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
>> <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message

>>> I'm not sure what you mean when you say "play them" and to
>>>which program you are referring. The closest thing to "play" in
>>>either program would be the preview functions they have.
>>
>> That's it; click on the 'Play' arrow in the preview pane of Studio.
>>>
>>> If you are able to "display" in TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA)
>>>I can't see what it is you are driving at. Are you saying that it
>>>allow you to use the Chapter cut edit function? Or you can't
>>>make menu(s) and output to a DVD file structure?
>>
>> I'm trying to use Studio after TMPGEnc has made the MPG file.
>> Studio seems to import the MPG file, and detect the scenes, and the
>> scenes can be put in the timeline to be edited. I can cut scenes, move
>> them around, all the normal editing stuff, but I can't then render the
>> final clip, nor can I view it in the preview pane at any time.
>>
>> WMP will play the MPG files just fine, but I kinda expected that.
>

> That sounds like there may be a problem with Studio then. I haven't
>used that program, and don't know how it works with MPEG video.
>I assume that you have walked through the process as it is described
>in your manual or the help files. The product's web site might have a
>forum as well as a FAQ listing.
>
>Luck;
> Ken

Yes, I've done all the normal processes, and I've come to the
conclusion that not all MPEGs are created equally.
I also tried this in Adobe Premiere Elements, and had a problem with
the playback being both choppy, and skipping forward and back in the
clip (strange). Premiere Elements wouldn't even put the clip in the
timeline to edit.

Oh, well, not a great loss; I'm retired, so I'll just do it the long
way.
Thanks!

--
Bill Funk