RDP through Win Firewall using Netgear VPN Routers

January 27, 2005 10:59:01 AM

I have two Net great VPN routers model number FVM 318. I have a VPN setup
between my office and home and it is working great. We decided to enable the
Windows firewall on my home machine and now I can't do a Remote Desktop from
the office to my home by name. Before I enabled the Windows Firewall on my
Home PC I could do it by name or IP. I thought that maybe something on the
router needed changed, but I don't think that is the case. I have enabled
netbios traffic to pass through on the routers, but I think Windows firewall
is blocking something for netbios. Any ideas?

To summarize:
Before enabling WFC I could remote to my home machine through the VPN by
name or IP.
After enabling WFC on the home PC I can only remote to it by IP.
I do have Remote Deskop on the home machine to allow RDP using the Exception
list.

More about : rdp win firewall netgear vpn routers

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 5:27:19 PM

If you enable "File & Print Sharing" or just enable "TCP Port 139" in the SP2 Windows Firewall
"Exception" list you should be able to use RDP by name.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Scott Micale" <ScottMicale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two Net great VPN routers model number FVM 318. I have a VPN setup
> between my office and home and it is working great. We decided to enable the
> Windows firewall on my home machine and now I can't do a Remote Desktop from
> the office to my home by name. Before I enabled the Windows Firewall on my
> Home PC I could do it by name or IP. I thought that maybe something on the
> router needed changed, but I don't think that is the case. I have enabled
> netbios traffic to pass through on the routers, but I think Windows firewall
> is blocking something for netbios. Any ideas?
>
> To summarize:
> Before enabling WFC I could remote to my home machine through the VPN by
> name or IP.
> After enabling WFC on the home PC I can only remote to it by IP.
> I do have Remote Deskop on the home machine to allow RDP using the Exception
> list.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 11:25:06 PM

Scott Micale <ScottMicale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have two Net great VPN routers model number FVM 318. I have a VPN
> setup between my office and home and it is working great. We decided
> to enable the Windows firewall on my home machine and now I can't do
> a Remote Desktop from the office to my home by name. Before I
> enabled the Windows Firewall on my Home PC I could do it by name or
> IP. I thought that maybe something on the router needed changed, but
> I don't think that is the case. I have enabled netbios traffic to
> pass through on the routers, but I think Windows firewall is blocking
> something for netbios.

To allow references to PCs by their NetBIOS machine name, you must enable
the Exception in Windows Firewall for File and Print Sharing.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk