Nikon Coolpix E2000 keeps forgetting date now - how can I ..

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
July 13, 2005 10:10:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

Nikon Coolpix E2000 (3 years old) keeps forgetting date now - how can I open
it up to replace the cell battery (if there is one)?

I've undone all the tiny screws I can find, it won't come apart, don't want
to apply to much pressure in case I break and otherwise-working camera!

Phoned Nikon, they were vague and said they couldn't recommend people do
their own repairs but if I'd like to enclose a large cheque....
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 2:53:51 AM

"Jonathan" <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Nikon Coolpix E2000 (3 years old) keeps forgetting date now - how can I
> open it up to replace the cell battery (if there is one)?
>
> I've undone all the tiny screws I can find, it won't come apart, don't
> want to apply to much pressure in case I break and otherwise-working
> camera!
>
> Phoned Nikon, they were vague and said they couldn't recommend people do
> their own repairs but if I'd like to enclose a large cheque....

If it's like the 990 battery, it may not be defective after all.

Put the batteries in and wait 10 hours. This is the charge time for the
internal battery, and if you test before then, the battery can appear to be
dead when it is not.
--
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

> Nikon Coolpix E2000 (3 years old) keeps forgetting date now - how can I
> open it up to replace the cell battery (if there is one)?
>
> I've undone all the tiny screws I can find, it won't come apart, don't
> want to apply to much pressure in case I break and otherwise-working
> camera!
>
> Phoned Nikon, they were vague and said they couldn't recommend people do
> their own repairs but if I'd like to enclose a large cheque....

While I am not actually advising you to do this, just in case some little
bit falls out and gets lost, have you looked for other screws inside the
Battery Compartment or under one of the other openable bits.

Do not completely remove them until you know for sure that they are holding
the case together.

Film Cameras always had at least 1 case screw inside the Film Door.

Roy G
July 15, 2005 4:28:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

If you are *sure* you have found all the screws, try using a flat knife
blade to gently apply a little pressure to the case joins and see which
way it flexes, and where the lilkely 'hidden clips' may be. By doing
this very carefully you will often be able to locate where you need to
apply a little more pressure, and also in what direction, to release
the clip.

But if you haven't done this sort of stuff before, maybe try to find a
friendly watchmaker or helpful camera repairer... As the chances of a
loud cracking sound, followed by 'Ooh dear!', are quite high at this
point... (O:
July 17, 2005 4:58:07 PM

<chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
> If you are *sure* you have found all the screws, try using a flat knife
> blade to gently apply a little pressure to the case joins and see which
> way it flexes, and where the lilkely 'hidden clips' may be. By doing
> this very carefully you will often be able to locate where you need to
> apply a little more pressure, and also in what direction, to release
> the clip.
>
> But if you haven't done this sort of stuff before, maybe try to find a
> friendly watchmaker or helpful camera repairer... As the chances of a
> loud cracking sound, followed by 'Ooh dear!', are quite high at this
> point... (O:

In case anyone was wondering (or cares), the thing that was holding it was
the mode dial - I slightly damaged a clip getting this off, and after all
that, the battery was indeed soldered to the underneath of the pcb, which
looked like it needed even more screws and ribbon cables disconnected to get
at.
So I gave it up, and by some miracle managed to get the whole thing back,
but the focus was wrong - I opened up again and found I'd dislodged the lens
just in front of the photo chip. Tried again, still slightly blurry. But
then I turned it back on, and accidentally had my finger on the popout lens,
the thing said "system error", turned off and on again, and the focus seemed
fine! Do you think it might have done some sort of auto-recalibration?

Anyway, this camera has made it across Aus, NZ, the USA and virtually
everywhere I go in the UK withouth incident, and yet it was overcome by a
drained battery...poor design, tsk!

Thanks for the help anyway.
July 17, 2005 4:58:08 PM

"Jonathan" <digitaltoast@gmail.com> wrote:
>Anyway, this camera has made it across Aus, NZ, the USA and virtually
>everywhere I go in the UK withouth incident, and yet it was overcome by a
>drained battery...poor design, tsk!
>
>Thanks for the help anyway.

three years on one battery is not bad - besides, it is part of the
pre-planned obsolescence theory that many manufacturers subscribe to.
!