Analog Video to Digital Video Converter for Sony Screenblast

Hi Everyone, I'm just getting started with desktop video so I may not
be asking to right questions. I purchased a Dazzle 150 which included a
stripped down version of Pinnacle Studio software. This works OK, but I
wanted more features so I shopped around. I finally decided on the Sony
Screenblast Movie Studio software, which I really like. The problem is
that the Dazzle 150 (which does a decent job) is not compatible with
the Sony software. So I have to keep the Pinnacle software just to
capture video. Then I load the digital version into Sony software to
edit it. I've been searching for a conversion device or card for the
Sony software, but am not finding much out there.

Can someone give me some ideas on what I need to purchase?

Thanks for the help

Smooth

srr113@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi Everyone, I'm just getting started with desktop video so I may not
> be asking to right questions. I purchased a Dazzle 150 which included
> a stripped down version of Pinnacle Studio software. This works OK,
> but I wanted more features so I shopped around. I finally decided on
> the Sony Screenblast Movie Studio software, which I really like. The
> problem is that the Dazzle 150 (which does a decent job) is not
> compatible with the Sony software. So I have to keep the Pinnacle
> software just to capture video. Then I load the digital version into
> Sony software to edit it. I've been searching for a conversion device
> or card for the Sony software, but am not finding much out there.
>
> Can someone give me some ideas on what I need to purchase?
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> Smooth

The Dazzle captures to MPEG-2 format which, as you've discovered, your Sony
software doesn't like.
Do you have a miniDV or digital 8 camcorder? If so, then all you need is a
basic firewire card for your computer and you're all set. Also, if your
camcorder has a feature called pass-through, then you can connect an analog
source (VHS VCR for example) to your camcorder and use it to "pass" the
signal through it and into your computer. If all you have is a VHS/8mm.
camcorder, invest in a Canopus ADVC-100 which gives you analog & firewire in
and out.

Mike

This problem happens because of the lack of standards for capture devices.
Why is is such a tragedy that the program that you like does not capture
with your device? I can name some very expensive ($1,500+) video products
where capture is separate from other functions....that is, a completely
separate program, particularly if it is directly to Mpeg2 through hardware.