Remote desktop connection for xp

Im trying to connect between home which is on a cable modem with comcast and
work which is on a small network (6 computers) and it is on a satillite. So
far I have had no luck. Is this even possible?
3 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop connection

    Nuggettac wrote:
    > Im trying to connect between home which is on a cable modem with
    > comcast and work which is on a small network (6 computers) and it is
    > on a satillite. So far I have had no luck. Is this even possible?

    Depending on the latency with the satellite connection, sure.

    Windows XP Professional on all the machines (or Windows 2000/2003 Server?)
    Proper ports forwarded through any routers you may have?
    Proper ports opened in the personal firewalls on the individual machines?

    A little description of the exact setup and what you have tried and the
    corresponding results might help us help you.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    One of the macines has XP home, one has ME and one has 98SE. (*SE gets a
    "Timed out message and the other two get a "The client could not connect to
    the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer
    might be to busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that
    network problems are preventing your connection." I can get a remote
    connection from other computers in the office that are running xp pro. The
    satellite connection is directway. We use a smc router and have win NT 4.0
    server.

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Nuggettac wrote:
    > > Im trying to connect between home which is on a cable modem with
    > > comcast and work which is on a small network (6 computers) and it is
    > > on a satillite. So far I have had no luck. Is this even possible?
    >
    > Depending on the latency with the satellite connection, sure.
    >
    > Windows XP Professional on all the machines (or Windows 2000/2003 Server?)
    > Proper ports forwarded through any routers you may have?
    > Proper ports opened in the personal firewalls on the individual machines?
    >
    > A little description of the exact setup and what you have tried and the
    > corresponding results might help us help you.
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    You can't use Remote Desktop to access/control any of those from any of the others. Alternatives are
    UltraVNC or NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing (RDS).

    Get the UltraVNC server, client and encryption plug-in software from...If the PC is behind a
    firewall/NAT/router you need to forward/open TCP Port 5900.

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

    NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing (RDS)...

    If t­he PC is behind a firewall/NAT/router you need to forward/open TCP Port 1503 in order to
    connect u­sing NetMeeting RDS, which is *NOT*
    compatible with XP Pro Remote Desktop.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;233175

    To start NetMeeting on an XP box go to "Start | Run" and typ­e conf at the command line...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Nuggettac" <Nuggettac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > One of the macines has XP home, one has ME and one has 98SE. (*SE gets a
    > "Timed out message and the other two get a "The client could not connect to
    > the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer
    > might be to busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that
    > network problems are preventing your connection." I can get a remote
    > connection from other computers in the office that are running xp pro. The
    > satellite connection is directway. We use a smc router and have win NT 4.0
    > server.
    >
    > "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
    >
    >> Nuggettac wrote:
    >> > Im trying to connect between home which is on a cable modem with
    >> > comcast and work which is on a small network (6 computers) and it is
    >> > on a satillite. So far I have had no luck. Is this even possible?
    >>
    >> Depending on the latency with the satellite connection, sure.
    >>
    >> Windows XP Professional on all the machines (or Windows 2000/2003 Server?)
    >> Proper ports forwarded through any routers you may have?
    >> Proper ports opened in the personal firewalls on the individual machines?
    >>
    >> A little description of the exact setup and what you have tried and the
    >> corresponding results might help us help you.
    >>
    >> --
    >> <- Shenan ->
    >> --
    >> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    >> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    >> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    >> getting into before you jump in with both feet.

Remote Desktop Connection Windows XP