Switched to DSL, now I can't browse shares

Bit of a strange problem, not sure what is broken exactly.

I used to be on Rogers cable modem (in Canada). I have a linksys
wireless router plugged into the modem, my laptop was running Win2K
with SSH Sentinel VPN client. I never had any problem turning on the
VPN and mapping and browsing company file server windows shares
(actually samba, not windows).

I moved and switched to DSL. Home setup was exactly the same, but now,
I map a share, but I cannot browse it, the system just hangs. I've
tried everything possble, fiddling with Zonealarm settings, VPN
settings, router mtu, etc.. but nothing seems to work. All parts of
the VPN work (WINS and DNS work), I can connect to web servers etc..,
but network shares cannot be browsed (they can be mapped, but do a dir
and it just hangs).

Again, the absolutely only thing that changed was switching from cable
broadband to DSL. What would cause this problem?

Ivor <ivor.erikson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Again, the absolutely only thing that changed was switching from cable
> broadband to DSL. What would cause this problem?

You need to set the MTU for the network connection in your PC that connects
to your Linksys router. It is not sufficient to set it in the router.

Download DrTCP from http://www.broadbandreports.com/drtcp to make this
setting. Be sure to select the right network connection in the "Adapter
settings" drop-down before setting the MTU. You should set the MTU of the
ethernet NIC or wireless card connecting to the Linksys to be 1492. Then
the VPN dialer should detect this and adjust its own MTU further downwards
to allow for the VPN overheads.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk