Sign in with
Your question

Question ABout Counter Strike LAG

Last response: in Video Games
April 23, 2004 5:46:39 AM

ok..

I am a HUGE counter strike fan.. For some reason, even when im on a good server with very low pings.. 25-48.... i will get this gay ass lag every once n' awhile.

I'm just wondering if it's my ISP? If you have an Older Modem will that effect anything... i mean i never upgraded to the newer, shark-finn type one. Also i have a GF4 ti4200 128mb...... for CS im almost positive that's good enough right? 1gb of memory as well, i don't see wtf im getting this stupid ass lag.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
April 23, 2004 6:07:28 AM

your video card is adequate for most maps on cs, there are a few that since 1.6, they are too detailed for the engine. are you talking about lag all the time on a certain map or lag spikes? try typing this in your consol "rate 9999"

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring valve security module!
April 25, 2004 11:08:19 PM

There are many things that can cause what people call "lag". It can be server caused, or it could be a problem in your PC, or it could be the communications link between the server and you.

There are a few things you can do to sort this out.

1. Type cl_showfps 1 in the console. This will show the actual fps (frames per second) of your video system. Usually it is 99, might be as low as 60, but indicates graphics performance problems if it is below that. This is a good indicator of your graphic systems performance. Some incompatibilities in video drivers and CS 1.6 have been known to cause intermittant decreased FPS (such as the smoke grenade issue with ATI cards)

2. Type net_graph 3 in the console to display a server communication display. It show missed and choked packet counts, as well as ping and upload/download data rates. If the missed packet numbers are non-zero, then you have server communication issues. The two variables that control this are cl_cmdrate 101 and rate 9999. (Those are the highest values you can enter.) Note that you can move the netgraph data display with the command net_graphpos 2 (1,2,3 are valid entries)

3. Choke means the server is not receiving packets you are sending. If you have choke, lower cl_cmdrate until it goes away. A high cmd rate means you tell the server what you are doing more often. The default is pretty low (dont remember right now).

4. Dropped (or missed or whatever they call them) packets means you are missing packets the server is sending you. Decrease rate until that number is 0 also. (many times the server will cap rate)

5. Look at the ping numbers. Does the ping go high when you experience lag?

I've seen quite a few servers that start lagging when the action starts. They don't have enough compute power, bandwidth, or process priority to operate correctly. Does your problem happen on crowded servers?

Anyway, that should get you started. You can google on those commands to get all the experts opinions on what else you should try.

meBig
April 25, 2004 11:11:39 PM

There are many things that can cause what people call "lag". It can be server caused, or it could be a problem in your PC, or it could be the communications link between the server and you.

There are a few things you can do to sort this out.

1. Type cl_showfps 1 in the console. This will show the actual fps (frames per second) of your video system. Usually it is 99, might be as low as 60, but indicates graspics performance problems if it is below that. This is a good indicator of your graphic systems performance. Some incompatibilities in video drivers and CS 1.6 have been known to cause decreased FPS (such as smoke)

2. Type net_graph 3 in the console to display a server communication display. It show missed and choked packet counts, as well as ping and upload/download data rates. If the missed packet numbers are non-zero, then you have server communication issues. The two variables that control this are cl_cmdrate 101 and rate 9999. (Those are the highest values you can enter.) Note that you can move the netgraph data display with the command net_graphpos 2 (1,2,3 are valid entries)

3. Choke means the server is not receiving packets you are sending. If you have choke, lower cl_cmdrate until it goes away. A high cmd rate means you tell the server what you are doing more often. The default is pretty low (dont remember right now).

4. Dropped (or missed or whatever they call them) packets means you are missing packets the server is sending you. Decrease rate until that number is 0 also. (many times the server will cap rate)

5. Look at the ping numbers. Does the ping go high when you experience lag?

I've seen quite a few servers that start lagging when the action starts. They don't have enough compute power, bandwidth, or process priority to operate correctly. Does your problem happen on crowded servers?

Anyway, that should get you started. You can google on those commands to get all the experts opinions on what you should try.

Don't rule out the possibility that you have a virus, adware, or other process that sucks you computers bandwidth periodically. Does the mouse freeze when this problem occurs? Hopefully everyone knows about adaware, spybot and "hijack this" software to clean up your system.

meBig
!