128 bit wep encryption with sp2

Since upgrading to sp2, I can no longer type in 26 hex/dec characters for my
network key. The microsoft wireless configuration will only accept 23 chars.
My router will not accept 23 chars. It worked prior to the upgrade. I am
running xp home edition. 2 other friends have the same problem. When I looked
at the microsoft xp knowledge base it shows wep to be 40 bit, and 104 bit(vs
128bit). If microsoft only allows 104 bits, then this explains the 3 char
difference which is causing the problem, but what is the fix?
1 answer Last reply
More about encryption

    Try pasting (ctrl-V) the WEP key into the dialog?

    The extra 3 bits should be used for the IV (which should be random).

    I found this site at random that sort of explains how WEP works:

    http://www.nwfusion.com/research/2002/0909wepprimer.html

    Let me know if this helps. I've seen pasting the key work in the past.

    --
    Standard Disclaimers -
    and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

    "mefitz" <mefitz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Since upgrading to sp2, I can no longer type in 26 hex/dec characters for
    > my
    > network key. The microsoft wireless configuration will only accept 23
    > chars.
    > My router will not accept 23 chars. It worked prior to the upgrade. I am
    > running xp home edition. 2 other friends have the same problem. When I
    > looked
    > at the microsoft xp knowledge base it shows wep to be 40 bit, and 104
    > bit(vs
    > 128bit). If microsoft only allows 104 bits, then this explains the 3 char
    > difference which is causing the problem, but what is the fix?

Wireless Encryption Microsoft Wireless Networking