128 bit wep encryption with sp2

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
November 2, 2004 2:04:02 PM

Since upgrading to sp2, I can no longer type in 26 hex/dec characters for my
network key. The microsoft wireless configuration will only accept 23 chars.
My router will not accept 23 chars. It worked prior to the upgrade. I am
running xp home edition. 2 other friends have the same problem. When I looked
at the microsoft xp knowledge base it shows wep to be 40 bit, and 104 bit(vs
128bit). If microsoft only allows 104 bits, then this explains the 3 char
difference which is causing the problem, but what is the fix?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 3, 2004 3:54:20 PM

Try pasting (ctrl-V) the WEP key into the dialog?

The extra 3 bits should be used for the IV (which should be random).

I found this site at random that sort of explains how WEP works:

http://www.nwfusion.com/research/2002/0909wepprimer.htm...

Let me know if this helps. I've seen pasting the key work in the past.

--
Standard Disclaimers -
and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

news:D 735ADA6-A1DC-4236-A82C-976B1FC89CEA@microsoft.com...
!