Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Bill Gates: This Is How Steve Jobs Inspired Me

Last response: in News comments
January 27, 2012 4:18:16 PM

Life's too short,. make it worth not only for your family but also to others,.. Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation have been a strong supporter.
Score
January 27, 2012 4:27:10 PM

friskiestLife's too short,. make it worth not only for your family but also to others,.. Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation have been a strong supporter.

Don't forget to make it worth to yourself.

So... here I was hoping that everybody would finally STFU about Jobs and this happens? Bill, I am disappoint.
Score
Related resources
January 27, 2012 4:28:26 PM

when i hear bill gates and steve jobs in a sentence

i always think of that TNT movie Pirates of Silcon Valley....

Jobs says "were better, u know" and Gates says " it doesnt matter"
Score
January 27, 2012 4:34:11 PM

I'm sorry, but I see Jobs as the George Lucas of the computerworld, he got lucky.

I cannot respect the kind of man that he was, and what his company stands for. (r.i.p.)
I'm not denying that there are some good products from apple. (this is difficult for me to say)

Bill Gates on the other hand has always given back, and has conducted business on a humane level.
Ofcourse you have to be cut-throat in some occasions.
Score
January 27, 2012 4:48:49 PM

and nothing of value was lost that day
Score
January 27, 2012 4:54:39 PM

NightLightI'm sorry, but I see Jobs as the George Lucas of the computerworld, he got lucky.I cannot respect the kind of man that he was, and what his company stands for. (r.i.p.)I'm not denying that there are some good products from apple. (this is difficult for me to say)Bill Gates on the other hand has always given back, and has conducted business on a humane level.Ofcourse you have to be cut-throat in some occasions.

I disagree.

While I will admit that Bill Gates does do significantly more philanthropic work than Steve Jobs did, I don't believe Apple is really any different that Microsoft at the core. They are both tech companies that make tech products, granted Microsoft has a more software-oriented approach than Apple's all-in-one approach, but they really are no different. They both use hardware products from companies without any real employee labor rights (including Foxconn), they both defend their products as much as they can, and they both try to eliminate the competition.

I just can't see why Steve Jobs and Apple is hated by tech users when every other CEO and tech company conducts business in a very similar way. The only difference is Apple somehow makes front page news. Microsoft sues retailers that carry the Android for some bogus reason and hardly anyone pays attention. Yet when Apple sues Samsung over the Galaxy it all of a sudden makes front page news. I. just. don't. get. it.
Score
January 27, 2012 5:08:58 PM

amk-aka-phantomDon't forget to make it worth to yourself.

Indeed. If you help yourself, you will be able to help all those around you. We must all look at the choices we make and how they affect not only us, but everyone who will be affected by them.
Score
January 27, 2012 5:16:42 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
January 27, 2012 5:18:07 PM

Steve Jobs donated a magnificent grand total of ZERO dollars to charity, the community, or anything of that regard. When he returned to Apple in 1997 he cancelled all philanthropic programs and to this day they remain so.

Steve Jobs is an inspiration to all.

Give me a break.
Score
January 27, 2012 5:29:50 PM

I think after 5-10 years there will be article about BILL GATES **** and how he inspiration all..IS IT!
Score
January 27, 2012 5:33:37 PM

aftcometSteve Jobs donated a magnificent grand total of ZERO dollars to charity, the community, or anything of that regard. When he returned to Apple in 1997 he cancelled all philanthropic programs and to this day they remain so. Steve Jobs is an inspiration to all. Give me a break.

That. Says. It. All.
Score
January 27, 2012 5:36:04 PM

Ragnar-Kon... I just can't see why Steve Job and Apple is hated by tech users when every other CEO and tech company conducts business in a very similar way....

Apple and child labor, over 90 incidents that were reported in 2010, 13 reported by apple in 2011, 6 still ongoing.

At some point in time every company makes mistakes, and every major company has had a factory with child labor and inhuman conditions make their products. When you make as much profit as Apple does (13 billion last quarter), you should be able to do "The right thing" and hire from factories with better conditions, or -GASP- make an American factory.
Score
January 27, 2012 5:36:53 PM

This explains perfectly Bill Gates vs Steve Jobs.
Score
January 27, 2012 5:52:19 PM

aftcometSteve Jobs donated a magnificent grand total of ZERO dollars to charity, the community, or anything of that regard. When he returned to Apple in 1997 he cancelled all philanthropic programs and to this day they remain so.

Not supporting Steve jobs or Apple in any way, but when he came back to Apple in 1997, they were on the verge of going bankrupt. After Apple recovered, they joined the Project Red program and are now the single biggest financial supporter of that program.

While I agree that he could have done more. Saying that he did nothing is incorrect.

dalethepcmanApple and child labor, over 90 incidents that were reported in 2010, 13 reported by apple in 2011, 6 still ongoing.At some point in time every company makes mistakes, and every major company has had a factory with child labor and inhuman conditions make their products. When you make as much profit as Apple does (13 billion last quarter), you should be able to do "The right thing" and hire from factories with better conditions, or -GASP- make an American factory.

United States companies that use Foxconn factories:
- Amazon
- Apple
- Barnes & Noble
- Cisco
- Dell
- EVGA
- HP
- Intel
- IBM
- Microsoft
- Motorola
- Netgear
- Vizio

EVERY one of those companies saw their income increase in 2011, all but four saw a increase greater than $3 Billion, and the vast majority of Americans use a product made by one of those companies. How come they aren't "doing the right thing."

I mean I completely agree with you, something needs to be done about this. But some people seem to think that Apple is root of all evil while every other company gets a magical get-out-of-free ticket. I just doesn't make sense to me.
Score
January 27, 2012 6:15:31 PM

Ragnar-KonI disagree.While I will admit that Bill Gates does do significantly more philanthropic work than Steve Jobs did, I don't believe Apple is really any different that Microsoft at the core. They are both tech companies that make tech products, granted Microsoft has a more software-oriented approach than Apple's all-in-one approach, but they really are no different. They both use hardware products from companies without any real employee labor rights (including Foxconn), they both defend their products as much as they can, and they both try to eliminate the competition.I just can't see why Steve Jobs and Apple is hated by tech users when every other CEO and tech company conducts business in a very similar way. The only difference is Apple somehow makes front page news. Microsoft sues retailers that carry the Android for some bogus reason and hardly anyone pays attention. Yet when Apple sues Samsung over the Galaxy it all of a sudden makes front page news. I. just. don't. get. it.

apple sues over rounded edges, microsoft sued over things they had pattents for, and back when they were filed, they were VERY relevant. however now they are common sense and should be open source.

the difference is where they come down on the suits. apple sued because of ascetics, microsoft sued over function. both of them dick moves, but apple was worse.

and apple is the only company suing over the most retarded reasons. most other trolls have at least one reasonably valid patent, but apple, no, they sue over touching your phone in the most obvious way to unlock it.

i think jobs is less than George Lucas, george came up with the ideas, and made them the best way he could at the time, potatos, shoes and all. its after it was big that he screwed it all up by re touching everything. jobs is only good as a designer, he didn't make crap, just told his engineers what to do and guarded them like a hawk and has prison lock down like checks in the company. all he did was make it pretty, lucas at least made his product.
Score
January 27, 2012 6:23:57 PM

Ragnar-Kon After Apple recovered, they joined the Project Red program ..... But some people seem to think that Apple is root of all evil while every other company gets a magical get-out-of-free ticket. I just doesn't make sense to me.
First of all I have never heard of Project Red and a google search lists something about hospital disposal something or other. Second Apple is HUGE with tons of money compared to most of those other companies if not all. Do you really believe that the little guys should be the ones to set the example while the big fish just go about their business of using people and making money? Is that not the problem with big government in the US where the little guy has to make the financial sacrifices but the big multi billionaires get all the incentives and the tax cuts. I think you along with these corporate big wigs need to get some perspective.
Score
January 27, 2012 6:31:13 PM

I don't understand why people keep complaining how Steve Jobs and Bill Gates steal other people's idea. Ideas, if not put into practical use, are just plain imaginations! Steve and Bill are the people who turn ideas into reality; one day of their life time is worth 10 years of most of our life. So, to you bunch of losers and whiners, just keep your ideas/imaginations to yourself and take them to the grave with you!
Score
January 27, 2012 6:53:41 PM

warezmeFirst of all I have never heard of Project Red and a google search lists something about hospital disposal something or other.

I think he meant Product Red.
Score
January 27, 2012 7:11:27 PM

ClonazepamI think he meant Product Red.

Indeed I did, thank you. mousemonkey closed the topic so I could not edit my post. But for some reason we can still comment... strange.
Score
January 27, 2012 7:31:50 PM

So the 13 year old in me found it necessary to point out that during their last conversation Jobs
Quote:
would throw some things out, you know, some stimulating things
and then Jobs filled a void in Gates.

Yes this is irreverent, juvenile, petty, and a complete mockery of what the article is actually about, but late on a Friday afternoon this will have me laughing all the way home. And yes I do hope people mock me this way after I die, at least then people would know I was relevant.
Score
January 27, 2012 7:43:10 PM

Project Red the BRAND that spends more on advertising than on doing any good.... yup sits well with the Apple brand.
Score
January 27, 2012 7:58:04 PM

In the end people need to understand that behind those big company names are sensible persons too who admittedly could be ferocious rivals but at the same time respect and admire each other. Is when we come to the public opinion, and the internet lately, when some myths and distortions get really wild.

And I am not going to apologize to anyone for using an Apple product. But neither I am going to apologize to anyone for using any product from DeLL, MS, IBM, Adobe, Autodesk, ASUS, Lian-Li, Intel, Corsair, D-LINK, Kensington, OWC, Samsung, Nvidia or ATI among many others. I have all these and more in only one desk where I work and play. I read about technology because I like it and is useful to me and that is the only side I take.
Score
January 27, 2012 8:43:44 PM

revolutionary my ass. tablet computers were used in star trek from ages ago!
Score
January 27, 2012 9:17:06 PM

NightLightI'm sorry, but I see Jobs as the George Lucas of the computerworld, he got lucky.I cannot respect the kind of man that he was, and what his company stands for. (r.i.p.)I'm not denying that there are some good products from apple. (this is difficult for me to say)Bill Gates on the other hand has always given back, and has conducted business on a humane level.Ofcourse you have to be cut-throat in some occasions.

Huh, That is a really bad comparison because Star Wars is most of what George Lucas's legacy is. Jobs had a good bit more. Also, Bill was not always a saint. Microsoft destroyed allot of their competitors through the integration of software solution into their OS. Remember Netscape, Real, and many others. They did very similar things using different approaches and as a result have dominated at different points.
Score
January 27, 2012 9:20:15 PM

dalethepcmanApple and child labor, over 90 incidents that were reported in 2010, 13 reported by apple in 2011, 6 still ongoing.At some point in time every company makes mistakes, and every major company has had a factory with child labor and inhuman conditions make their products. When you make as much profit as Apple does (13 billion last quarter), you should be able to do "The right thing" and hire from factories with better conditions, or -GASP- make an American factory.

This is not Apple's factory that has this problem. This is Foxconn which by the way also manufactures the Xbox and many other products for companies in the US.
Score
January 27, 2012 9:22:38 PM

Ragnar-KonNot supporting Steve jobs or Apple in any way, but when he came back to Apple in 1997, they were on the verge of going bankrupt. After Apple recovered, they joined the Project Red program and are now the single biggest financial supporter of that program.While I agree that he could have done more. Saying that he did nothing is incorrect.United States companies that use Foxconn factories:- Amazon- Apple- Barnes & Noble- Cisco- Dell- EVGA- HP- Intel- IBM- Microsoft- Motorola- Netgear- VizioEVERY one of those companies saw their income increase in 2011, all but four saw a increase greater than $3 Billion, and the vast majority of Americans use a product made by one of those companies. How come they aren't "doing the right thing."I mean I completely agree with you, something needs to be done about this. But some people seem to think that Apple is root of all evil while every other company gets a magical get-out-of-free ticket. I just doesn't make sense to me.

Thank You. Exactly right. People try to make Apple to root of all evil much in the same way they did Microsoft. The only reason why that is happening is because they are successful. Period
Score
January 27, 2012 9:26:24 PM

alidanapple sues over rounded edges, microsoft sued over things they had pattents for, and back when they were filed, they were VERY relevant. however now they are common sense and should be open source. the difference is where they come down on the suits. apple sued because of ascetics, microsoft sued over function. both of them dick moves, but apple was worse. and apple is the only company suing over the most retarded reasons. most other trolls have at least one reasonably valid patent, but apple, no, they sue over touching your phone in the most obvious way to unlock it.i think jobs is less than George Lucas, george came up with the ideas, and made them the best way he could at the time, potatos, shoes and all. its after it was big that he screwed it all up by re touching everything. jobs is only good as a designer, he didn't make crap, just told his engineers what to do and guarded them like a hawk and has prison lock down like checks in the company. all he did was make it pretty, lucas at least made his product.

Uhhh no, When did you see them sue over rounded edges. All of Apples suites where about patent infringement. They have every right to protect their patents and intellectual property as any other company out there. You have no idea what your talking about. Just go to Wikipedia and do some reading so you at least understand where all this stuff came from.
Score
January 27, 2012 9:28:14 PM

Flameoutrevolutionary my ass. tablet computers were used in star trek from ages ago!

That is funny, they where not available to the public at that time and when they where the execution was absolutely terrible. I had one from Samsung that ran XP on it and it was the worst purchase ever.
Score
Anonymous
January 27, 2012 10:28:16 PM

Steve Jobs changed the entire world with his visionary outset and revamping of wireless media and communications. He’ll be a name which rings out through history for evolving the way we live, share and communicate. I was compelled to create a portrait of him, now In Memoriam on my artist’s blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2011/08/end-of-era-s...
Score
January 27, 2012 10:35:03 PM

Ragnar-KonNot supporting Steve jobs or Apple in any way, but when he came back to Apple in 1997, they were on the verge of going bankrupt. After Apple recovered, they joined the Project Red program and are now the single biggest financial supporter of that program.While I agree that he could have done more. Saying that he did nothing is incorrect.United States companies that use Foxconn factories:- Amazon- Apple- Barnes & Noble- Cisco- Dell- EVGA- HP- Intel- IBM- Microsoft- Motorola- Netgear- VizioEVERY one of those companies saw their income increase in 2011, all but four saw a increase greater than $3 Billion, and the vast majority of Americans use a product made by one of those companies. How come they aren't "doing the right thing."I mean I completely agree with you, something needs to be done about this. But some people seem to think that Apple is root of all evil while every other company gets a magical get-out-of-free ticket. I just doesn't make sense to me.

The company is worth 74 times now than it was back then. What do they give back? Nothing. To this day not a penny. I'm not saying end world hunger, but how about build a technology community center for underprivileged kids, or donating some computers to schools?

Do they have good products? Sure. But I'm tired of people saying Apple's crap is delightful. Most of the stuff they "innovate" have been out for many years yet they're credited for revolutionizing it.

I'm sure there are fools out there who think Apple invented all technology. People rag on Microsoft for causing a monopoly. Yet they praise OSX which is nothing more than a stolen open source copy (BSD Linux) that was locked down and sold as just another piece of proprietary Apple bullcrap.
Score
January 28, 2012 12:00:53 AM

aftcometPeople rag on Microsoft for causing a monopoly. Yet they praise OSX which is nothing more than a stolen open source copy (BSD Linux) that was locked down and sold as just another piece of proprietary Apple bullcrap.

a) BSD is not Linux. There is no Linux in Mac OS X.
b) Mac OS X's open source component consists of several sources. The Kernel is made up of the Mach Kernel and parts of FreeBSD.
c) The core of OS X is still open source even though they could make it closed source if they wanted (The BSD license allows that) and Apple's development feeds back to FreeBSD.
d) Apple developing open source means that they also give back to the community. WebKit (The open source rendering engine that powers Safari and Chrome and the web browser in Android) was developed by Apple.

btw: Even Microsoft took some BSD code to improve Windows many years ago even though they were campaigning against open source software at the same time.
Score
January 28, 2012 12:53:07 AM

I tend to thank my success in the production industry to Apple II+, Beagle Bros, MS:D os and Windows 3.1. No mater their personal decisions, their products had a major affect on my career directions.
Score
January 28, 2012 1:35:12 AM

ap3xUhhh no, When did you see them sue over rounded edges. All of Apples suites where about patent infringement. They have every right to protect their patents and intellectual property as any other company out there. You have no idea what your talking about. Just go to Wikipedia and do some reading so you at least understand where all this stuff came from.

some of their patents are rounded edges and patents they have gone for are swiping finger to unlock, and part of the Samsung lawsuit is how similar they look to iphone with doctored photos.
Score
Anonymous
January 28, 2012 3:09:14 AM

Gotta hand it to gates, even after all the crap he got from the public, he's out there spending his retirement ending MALARIA. Awesome.
Score
January 28, 2012 3:21:40 AM

So when were talking about innovation, then there are two or three parts to it.
Steve Jobs had a very good conception of business, and also how simple and easy devices should be to use.
At the end of the day,he may of given a lot of inspiration to people, also promoted
Apple company products to the masses of consumer base out there.
There is a word for that Apple pro, or not. Sales man.

Score
January 28, 2012 3:21:42 AM

WebKit wasn't made by Apple. WebKit is based on KHTML from the KDE desktop environment.
Score
January 28, 2012 6:17:51 AM

And I thought this was an article that told us How Jobs Inspired Gates......
Funny, how the comments turned into Apple Vs The World.....
For all Apple haters and lovers out there..... the Individual does deserve a lot of credit for having such a huge love hate following.....
Score
January 28, 2012 11:02:40 AM

I do not care how Bill Gates went on to become one of Fortune's top businessmen of the last millenium. I (and my family) suffer from HIV (though on drugs and as healthy as a `normal' person). In that sense, I admire Bill Gates for the work he is doing/funding he is providing on this disease and so many others. Regardless of what Steve Jobs used to say (when he used to look down on charity work) , an ipad or any Apple product will not make me live longer or better. Rather the drugs that have invented in the US and the funding that Bill Gates has been providing for better drugs and a cure. Bill Gates has not invented these drugs, but he has been for the past few years been providing a lot of money towards a newer generation of drugs. Ask the millions of HIV and other sufferers from various infectious diseases as to what they want--a shiny iphone/ipad or a drug that makes them live longer for their family.
Score
January 28, 2012 2:00:42 PM

Think about this if you care about accidents on Foxcom factories and blame Apple alone. This is a single opinion from a Chinese reader on the iEconomi (translated):

If not to buy Apple, what’s the substitute – Samsung? Don’t you know that Samsung’s products are from its OEM factory in Tianjin? Samsung workers’ income and benefits are even worse than those at Foxconn. If not to buy iPad – (do you think) I will buy Android Pad? Have you ever been to the OEM factories for Lenovo and ASUS? Quanta, Compaq … factories of other companies are all worse than those for Apple. Not to buy iPod – (do you think) I will buy Aigo, Meizu? Do you know that Aigo’s Shenzhen factory will not pay their workers until the 19th of the second month? If you were to quit, fine, I’m sorry, your salary will be withdrawn. Foxconn never dares to do such things. First, their profit margin is higher than peers as they manufacture for Apple. Second, at least those foreign devils will regularly audit factories. Domestic brands will never care if workers live or die. I am not speaking for Foxconn. I am just speaking as an insider of this industry, and telling you some disturbing truth.

I am not defending Apple and saying they are philanthropies but they are doing better than many think and there are other big tech names doing even worst.
Score
January 28, 2012 8:30:51 PM

When the words come out of Gates, it really carries weight. These two were friends on a personal level.
Score
January 28, 2012 9:29:42 PM

Both companies and guys are/were A-holes in their own ways. Period.

In my younger days, I hated both companies and both guys. Both of them robbed people, both of them sued other companies, both of them are full of S-bomb.

But in the end, this is what we are left with... and it make little difference. The battle is over, use what works. Android, iOS, Windows.... I use ALL three of these, depending on my needs.

To Molo: There is a bit of UNIX in both MacOS X and WindowsNT (WinNT ~ Win8).
Still, AmigaOS from 1985~199x was the first consumer computer (Amiga 1000 ~ 4000) to have a multi-tasking OS... since 1.0 (1985) and it too has some aspect of UNIX without being Unix.

It would take Apple 15 years to have a true multi-tasking OS and MS 10 years to have a crappy multi-tasking OS (Win95) for consumers and another 6 years for a decent OS (XP). and another 8 years for a good OS (Win7).

Even to this day, AmigaOS is still more elegant "under the hood" compared to Windows. - But its a dead platform.

Its good that we, as we age - get over stupid things. In the end, both guys/companies made money from us... they worked together, they cross-licensed various stuff.

They both do good and bad things... and I don't see ANY company than can do much better in the "Don'T be Evil" department.
Score
January 29, 2012 4:28:43 AM

"But not in an engineer approach, [but rather] a design approach"
I thought design WAS a part of engineering.
IMHO Microsoft's approach to building products showed a singular lack of up-front design, and follow on design processes. Vista is a great example of this, amongst many.
A friend of mine once said that doing good design at Microsoft was like "pearls before swine" - you did not get rewarded for it. You got rewarded more for "visibility", whatever that is.
On the other hand, Apple's engineering, all phases of it, is astounding - I'm sure many people deserve credit, but if Jobs was the great enabler, then that is amazing in it's own right, because the buck starts there. And look at the bucks....
Score
January 29, 2012 4:40:16 AM

And @ Belardo, great comments, although I had many words for my XP experience for 2 years after it's release and +20 vendor's products in various levels of compatibility, with endless updates, issues, etc. and "decent" was not one of them.

Score
January 29, 2012 8:11:01 PM

@Tomuw: There is different ways of approaching a project. Apple and MS are different. Apple, while rarely the inventor of anything - pushes new ideas to the mass-market for the regular people. (novices)

MS has bought most of its IP from others (MS-DOS, Word, IE, etc), a bigger bully than Apple, while at the same time, didn't care that it was putting out crap (MS-DOS, Word, IE, etc), it didn't matter people would buy it. While they didn't copy Apple direction (IMHO), they followed Apple and everyone else and muscled their way in.

(And add @tomuw)

Lets go back to 1988 for example. (I'm remembering as best I can) When a tech-reporter asked an MS employee about how DOS compared to AmigaOS. Response "Who needs multitasking?" Until Windows 3.0 in 1992, MS didn't have a GUI system. Windows 1~2 were useless. 3.0 was somewhat usable. It wasn't an operation system, but a GUI launcher on top of MS-DOS. ie: Win3.x will not WORK at all without MS-DOS installed. As an OEM builder, we'd have to buy MS-DOS and WIN3 separately (costs about $90 combined)

Its one of the reasons we have a registry and other crap built into Windows for legacy DOS compatibility. Win95 is an actual OS with a hybrid DOS file system... ie: while you DID have long file names in Win95, dropping down into MS-DOS mode or shell showed 8.3. "Asus3815 Audio drive.exe" turns into "ASUS381~.EXE"

This is the garbage people bought. Yet, there were these Amiga computers for $600~2000 that came with a REAL GUI OS, included graphics and audio (considered toys by the MSDOS folks) in the 80s. A typical 286 clone was about $1500~5000. Without a GUI-OS, there really wasn't much reason to get anything better than a 386-16mhz computer. Hell, I was running a GUI shell (GEOS) on my C=128 computer (2mhz/128k/360k floppy drive) back in 86~88.

For performance, a PC with a 386-16mhz / 4MB (not GB) clone at $2000 running Windows 3.0 could NOT touch a 1985 Amiga (68000-7mhz / 2MB) in performance. The Amiga was faster and it multi-tasked. I would listen to music files while doing WORK on my Amiga. Even when I worked for a PC company in 1995, I used my 1989 Amiga 3000 at the office for much of my work, including DTP for magazines. I and friends used a launcher (I think called Star Fish) replacement for Win3.x that made Win3 actually usable. It gave use 3~5 screens (that we could task switch from), it has a start-menu like interface, but it hovered on the screen like a dock.

Win95, was such unreliable garbage - but its filesystem was a big step up from DOS. I murdered 2 keyboards because of W95. I mean, I BENT a keyboard in half with my bare hands with keys flying. "Sorry, cannot find modem on COM2 - install driver for COM2 - blah blah" when its right there. Microsoft's wasn't very good with PnP "Plug N' Play" - it was called Plug N-Pray, it was that bad. Meanwhile, since 1985 - Amiga HAD PNP, Apple soon had PnP with their MacII. Seriously, my 1985 Amiga never had driver issues with hardware. Installing modem, hard drive controller, P or S ports, etc... no issues. The mouse driver was BUILT into the OS.

Win98 fixed most of the issues, was a godsend compared to W95. I used Win98se until 2004. I didn't and still don't care for MS's activation crap. But software ran better and faster on XP (after SP1) compared to W98. I had benchmarked the same computer with both OSs. I first noticed this when a new build with XP was faster than my own... so that is when I went to XP.
Score
January 29, 2012 8:59:36 PM

tomuwAnd @ Belardo, great comments, although I had many words for my XP experience for 2 years after it's release and +20 vendor's products in various levels of compatibility, with endless updates, issues, etc. and "decent" was not one of them.

(I actually didn't know you had made 2 posts when I made my last response... LOL)

I didn't experience the pains of XP when it was new. After Win98se, I had aged (29yrs old back then) and was more interested in stability, reliability and minimal headaches. The days in which I would use beta or hacked software to run were over. (hacked, as in running AmigaOS 3.0{1992 OS} on my 1985 and 1989 Amigas because C= didn't support older hardware well, somewhat understandable) or doing odd-ball upgrades and overclocking. (The 1985 Amiga could be modded in ways the engineers didn't think of).

So 2+ years after XP is released, its very stable and its driver support is vast. Gone were the days of installing Win9x every 6 months or so (Clean or from a backup image). My XP installs were only during major HW changes. Funny thou, every time I installed XP on a new PC for a client, it always reminded me how backwards MS is... its a DOS environment to setup, its tools are piss-poor for novices. Yet, AmigaOS from 1989 (2.x) you can boot into a fully functional GUI OS from the floppy, click on the HD Tool box icon, setup and format the HD with a graphical bar for partition size with sliders to adjust. Even Windows 7 STILL *STILL* uses type in numbers only with NO graphical graph of how big the partitions are, unlike Partition Magic. So yeah, it still took MS 20 years to surpass Amiga in many areas.

I totally skipped the vista garbage. Not as bad as ME, but its horrible. The faults of Win7 are carry-overs from Vista... like going to a folder and the Explorer window slowly thinks about WHAT to do with the files, I can't sort or do anything for a minute or two. On XP, it wouldn't have cared. Other than a few things like that, Windows7 is a very nice OS from MS.

I think what MS is doing with Windows 8 is good, they are thinking OUTSIDE their normal box. They are actually trying to do something, different. And if they do it right, it will be impressive.

An issue that has come up, is that the TILES slide left to right... to solve movement problem, just use the mouse wheel. Yes the wheel isn't pointed in the right way, but it'll work. Better than using the hand and doing it manually.

We'll see how they do soon.
Score
Anonymous
January 30, 2012 1:45:42 AM

This article has meandered to some very opinionated discussion taking on the comparison's of the two men's and other technical creations, but the article maybe more in regard on how Gates is now even more aware of maybe something like in an old saying, ".....you can't take it with you", and Gates continues spreading his vast wealth around where it may be really needed, and maybe his current course is even more directly inspired and motivated after seeing how his competitor Jobs had lived since learning his own certain fate as Jobs continued his own personal disregard for such charities and other worthwhile causes straight to his death.
Just a difference in personal value systems and priorities but on a much grander scale.
Score
January 30, 2012 10:00:01 PM

Less talk more child labor.
Score
January 31, 2012 3:34:04 PM

Apple isn't the only company culpable this abusive labor practices problem. They are just the largest user (meaning the biggest abuser).
Score
January 31, 2012 11:15:16 PM

And the sad thing is, FOXCONN is one of the BETTER companies. There are other tech jobs in China that are far far worse. You can work for a company for 6 weeks, quit/fired and not get paid. Work for even less pay than the $10 you get at FOXCONN.

But we ALL like our cheap toys, right? bring those tech jobs back to the USA would add about 25% to the costs. But we are the people of Walmart... were we'll scream if something costs $2 more.

And the thing is, low-cost items are starting to turn into cheap-garbage that don't last.
Score
!