I am trying to access my laptop with Windows XP from my HP Ipaq h6315 (2003)
w/Terminal Services. My 6315 has built-in WiFi. My laptop at home is
connected to the internet via DSL using a Linksys router and Wireless A+G
pcmcia.

This is my first time trying this, and I don't know what it means to "enter
a fully-qualified domain name for the remote computer to connect to." I just
want to be able to connect to and control my laptop when I am not at home. I
would appreciate any help in the right direction.
1. Is this the best solution for remote desktop access and control? Or, are
there other options I should explore?
2. Please explain what I need to input in the "Server:" field in Terminal
Services on my PPC.
--
Thank you,
Liana

Hello -

You need to:

1. Find out the PUBLIC IP that your home DSL connection has been assigned
by your ISP. This is what you put in the "Server:" field in terminal
services.

2. Forward TCP Port 3389 on your Linksys to the private IP address which
your computer receives. If you are unclear on how to do this, see the
linksys documentation.

3. Enable remote access on your laptop by right-clicking on "My Computer"
and selecting "Properties." Then select the "Remote" tab. There, check the
box that states "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer." The
user which is logged in at that time will automatically be added to the
allowable users to log in remotely.

It is recommended that you make sure that you have a non-blank password
associated with any account which you would like to use to connect to your
home laptop.

BTW - if you are running XP Home on your laptop, none of this will work
anyway - Home edition does not offer Remote Desktop. In that case, seek out
RealVNC or PCAnywhere.

- Eric

"Liana" <Liana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to access my laptop with Windows XP from my HP Ipaq h6315
>(2003)
> w/Terminal Services. My 6315 has built-in WiFi. My laptop at home is
> connected to the internet via DSL using a Linksys router and Wireless A+G
> pcmcia.
>
> This is my first time trying this, and I don't know what it means to
> "enter
> a fully-qualified domain name for the remote computer to connect to." I
> just
> want to be able to connect to and control my laptop when I am not at home.
> would appreciate any help in the right direction.
> 1. Is this the best solution for remote desktop access and control? Or,
> are
> there other options I should explore?
> 2. Please explain what I need to input in the "Server:" field in Terminal
> Services on my PPC.
> --
> Thank you,
> Liana

Wow! Thank you so very much! I was told by my provider, SBC, that I need to
get a static IP, so I put in the order for that. And, I spoke to Linksys
about how to forward the TCP Port. I should be go to go once I get my static
IP.

Thanks again very much!
Liana

"Eric McWhorter" wrote:

> Hello -
>
> You need to:
>
> 1. Find out the PUBLIC IP that your home DSL connection has been assigned
> by your ISP. This is what you put in the "Server:" field in terminal
> services.
>
> 2. Forward TCP Port 3389 on your Linksys to the private IP address which
> your computer receives. If you are unclear on how to do this, see the
> linksys documentation.
>
> 3. Enable remote access on your laptop by right-clicking on "My Computer"
> and selecting "Properties." Then select the "Remote" tab. There, check the
> box that states "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer." The
> user which is logged in at that time will automatically be added to the
> allowable users to log in remotely.
>
> It is recommended that you make sure that you have a non-blank password
> associated with any account which you would like to use to connect to your
> home laptop.
>
> BTW - if you are running XP Home on your laptop, none of this will work
> anyway - Home edition does not offer Remote Desktop. In that case, seek out
> RealVNC or PCAnywhere.
>
> - Eric
>

> "Liana" <Liana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to access my laptop with Windows XP from my HP Ipaq h6315
> >(2003)
> > w/Terminal Services. My 6315 has built-in WiFi. My laptop at home is
> > connected to the internet via DSL using a Linksys router and Wireless A+G
> > pcmcia.
> >
> > This is my first time trying this, and I don't know what it means to
> > "enter
> > a fully-qualified domain name for the remote computer to connect to." I
> > just
> > want to be able to connect to and control my laptop when I am not at home.
> > would appreciate any help in the right direction.
> > 1. Is this the best solution for remote desktop access and control? Or,
> > are
> > there other options I should explore?
> > 2. Please explain what I need to input in the "Server:" field in Terminal
> > Services on my PPC.
> > --
> > Thank you,
> > Liana

parker

Liana,

If I was you I would hold on spending the money on the static IP your router
is online and connected all the time so the only way the IP will change is if
it offline for a period of time. Also you should consider the cost of the
static IP verses the cost of a service like Gotomypc.com I just checked into
it and its only 130.00 a year for a host pc. I have a client that runs this
on all his computers and it work great. I know my cable company wanted an
arm and a leg when all I wanted was a static IP.

Also Thanks Eric you gave just the info I was looking for "Forward TCP Port
3389 on your Linksys".

Parker

Liana wrote:
> Wow! Thank you so very much! I was told by my provider, SBC, that I
> need to get a static IP, so I put in the order for that. And, I spoke
> to Linksys about how to forward the TCP Port. I should be go to go
> once I get my static IP.

You don't need a static IP - although it's not a bad thing to have. If you
don't have one, you can look at www.dyndns.org or www.no-ip.com. I wouldn't
bother paying extra for a static IP just for this purpose.