Windows XP Pro/SP2 and Firewire capture

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 20, 2005 9:56:52 PM

I've been away from this NG for a while but I've hit a problem which has
appeared since SP2 was installed on my system. I know I am not alone in
having this problem. However, despite searching the net I can not find any
firm answers.

My basic build is WinXP Pro/SP2. I'm using Premier Pro 1.5 on a Notebook
COmputer (HP Pavilion zd 7000 series) which has an IEEE-1394 port. Prior to
upgrading to SP2 I could capture from my Panasonic NVMX300 Digicam. SInce
upgrading to SP2 I can no longer capture - Premier and Movie Maker report
capture device offline.

I know the problem ISNT the camera or the cable as I can plug the MX300 into
another PC (which isn't mine) and capture from that. Also, if I connect my
JCV edit deck via firewire to the notebook it works fine. The reason I can't
use this deck for editing footage from the MX300 which was shot in "wide
screen" mode.

SUmmary: Has anyone over comethe problems which have appeared to be
introduced since SP2? I'm aware of MS hotfix 885222 but this doesn't appear
to fix the problem. I spent alot of money on the Camera (about £1800UK) and
apart from this problem I have had no bad experiences what so ever.

HELP!

TIA,

Dave
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 12:08:58 AM

From the Avid Pro forum, the following advice was given:
In "networking", under the advanced tab for this device, disable
"networking" on the 1394 port.

"bugsy57" <bugsy57@spammer.spam> wrote in message
> I've been away from this NG for a while but I've hit a problem which has
> appeared since SP2 was installed on my system. I know I am not alone in
> having this problem. However, despite searching the net I can not find any
> firm answers.
>
> My basic build is WinXP Pro/SP2. I'm using Premier Pro 1.5 on a Notebook
> COmputer (HP Pavilion zd 7000 series) which has an IEEE-1394 port. Prior
> upgrading to SP2 I could capture from my Panasonic NVMX300 Digicam. SInce
> upgrading to SP2 I can no longer capture - Premier and Movie Maker report
> capture device offline.
>
> I know the problem ISNT the camera or the cable as I can plug the MX300
into
> another PC (which isn't mine) and capture from that. Also, if I connect my
> JCV edit deck via firewire to the notebook it works fine. The reason I
can't
> use this deck for editing footage from the MX300 which was shot in "wide
> screen" mode.
>
> SUmmary: Has anyone over comethe problems which have appeared to be
> introduced since SP2? I'm aware of MS hotfix 885222 but this doesn't
appear
> to fix the problem. I spent alot of money on the Camera (about £1800UK)
and
> apart from this problem I have had no bad experiences what so ever.
>
> HELP!
>
> TIA,
>
> Dave

February 21, 2005 3:41:17 AM

"bugsy57" <bugsy57@spammer.spam> wrote in message news:<cvamhj$4ur$1@sparta.btinternet.com>...
> I've been away from this NG for a while but I've hit a problem which has
> appeared since SP2 was installed on my system. I know I am not alone in
> having this problem. However, despite searching the net I can not find any
> firm answers.
>
> My basic build is WinXP Pro/SP2. I'm using Premier Pro 1.5 on a Notebook
> COmputer (HP Pavilion zd 7000 series) which has an IEEE-1394 port. Prior to
> upgrading to SP2 I could capture from my Panasonic NVMX300 Digicam. SInce
> upgrading to SP2 I can no longer capture - Premier and Movie Maker report
> capture device offline.
>
> I know the problem ISNT the camera or the cable as I can plug the MX300 into
> another PC (which isn't mine) and capture from that. Also, if I connect my
> JCV edit deck via firewire to the notebook it works fine. The reason I can't
> use this deck for editing footage from the MX300 which was shot in "wide
> screen" mode.
>
> SUmmary: Has anyone over comethe problems which have appeared to be
> introduced since SP2? I'm aware of MS hotfix 885222 but this doesn't appear
> to fix the problem. I spent alot of money on the Camera (about £1800UK) and
> apart from this problem I have had no bad experiences what so ever.
>
> HELP!
>
> TIA,
>
> Dave

Two other options:

1. IEEE1394 is a network connection according to Windows and could be
limited in de windows firewall introduced in SP2.

2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

B/R
Martin
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 1:50:41 PM

Hey Dave.

I have the same series notebook (zd7260, specifically) and do Firewire
captures from a miniDV cam.
Also running SP2. No problems.

As others have suggested, try disabling the IEEE1394 network connection and
see that MS article. (SP2 seems to bump the speed of your Firewire port
DOWN...lord knows why)

C.

!