Split and cut in Nero Vision Express

Johnny

I continue to be frustrated with this product. Its user interface is
just about the most nonintuitive thing I've ever used.

I have a video file in NeroVision Express 2. The file, created from a
videotape, was not split properly and is out of sequence. For
simplity's sake, let's say I have three video files, A, C, and B. The
ending of A flows into C, but the correct sequence of footage in the
finished product should be A, B, A1 (part chopped off of A that
belongs toward the end of the seqence), C. What I want to do is:

a) Split the file at the point of a specific scene change, thus
splitting A into A (truncated a bit now) and A1 (the trailing
portion).

b) Take A1 and move it to the end of my movie.

c) Take C and move it after A1 in my movie.

The absence of meaningful dialog boxes or help or instructions in the
manual or downloadable tutorials is just unacceptably confusing.
Split appears to do nothing at all, and is documented with just one or
two sentences in the downloadable tutorial. Cut appears to delete
stuff from a file, but I'd like to then PASTE what I've deleted
somewhere, and I can't.

When I try cutting, when I click on the red scissors icon, I move the
left and right arrows in the editing window to where I want to cut,
click the now-gold scissors, and it tells me the region I want to cut
is too large.

Surely I'm not the first human in the world to attempt to do this
stuff. Can someone who has used this product successfully set me
straight?

On 2/20/2005, johnny@comelately.foo managed to type:
> I continue to be frustrated with this product. Its user interface is
> just about the most nonintuitive thing I've ever used.
>
> I have a video file in NeroVision Express 2. The file, created from a
> videotape, was not split properly and is out of sequence. For
> simplity's sake, let's say I have three video files, A, C, and B. The
> ending of A flows into C, but the correct sequence of footage in the
> finished product should be A, B, A1 (part chopped off of A that
> belongs toward the end of the seqence), C. What I want to do is:
>
> a) Split the file at the point of a specific scene change, thus
> splitting A into A (truncated a bit now) and A1 (the trailing
> portion).
>
> b) Take A1 and move it to the end of my movie.
>
> c) Take C and move it after A1 in my movie.
>
> The absence of meaningful dialog boxes or help or instructions in the
> manual or downloadable tutorials is just unacceptably confusing.
> Split appears to do nothing at all, and is documented with just one or
> two sentences in the downloadable tutorial. Cut appears to delete
> stuff from a file, but I'd like to then PASTE what I've deleted
> somewhere, and I can't.
>
> When I try cutting, when I click on the red scissors icon, I move the
> left and right arrows in the editing window to where I want to cut,
> click the now-gold scissors, and it tells me the region I want to cut
> is too large.
>
> Surely I'm not the first human in the world to attempt to do this
> stuff. Can someone who has used this product successfully set me
> straight?

I have no idea if this will work, but I'll suggest it anyway.

Ignoring C for simplicity -- try putting A on the time line, then B on
the timeline, then (all of) A again.

Now cut the tail end off of the first A, starting where A1 begins, and
then cut off the beginning of the second A, up to where A1 begins.

If it works, then good. If not, it's a shame, it was my best guess...

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

<johnny@comelately.foo> wrote in message
>I continue to be frustrated with this product. Its user interface is
> just about the most nonintuitive thing I've ever used.

Man, then just wait until you try a more sophisticated program.

If you feel this, then try MovieFactory 3 from Ulead (trial available).

I admit the whole scissors etc. metaphor and implementation is confusing and
weak in this program.

> I have a video file in NeroVision Express 2. The file, created from a
> videotape, was not split properly and is out of sequence. For
> simplity's sake, let's say I have three video files, A, C, and B. The
> ending of A flows into C, but the correct sequence of footage in the
> finished product should be A, B, A1 (part chopped off of A that
> belongs toward the end of the seqence), C. What I want to do is:
>
> a) Split the file at the point of a specific scene change, thus
> splitting A into A (truncated a bit now) and A1 (the trailing
> portion).
>
> b) Take A1 and move it to the end of my movie.
>
> c) Take C and move it after A1 in my movie.
>
> The absence of meaningful dialog boxes or help or instructions in the
> manual or downloadable tutorials is just unacceptably confusing.
> Split appears to do nothing at all, and is documented with just one or
> two sentences in the downloadable tutorial. Cut appears to delete
> stuff from a file, but I'd like to then PASTE what I've deleted
> somewhere, and I can't.
>
> When I try cutting, when I click on the red scissors icon, I move the
> left and right arrows in the editing window to where I want to cut,
> click the now-gold scissors, and it tells me the region I want to cut
> is too large.
>
> Surely I'm not the first human in the world to attempt to do this
> stuff. Can someone who has used this product successfully set me
> straight?

Johnny

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:17:16 -0800, "Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote:

><johnny@comelately.foo> wrote in message
>>I continue to be frustrated with this product. Its user interface is
>> just about the most nonintuitive thing I've ever used.
>
>Man, then just wait until you try a more sophisticated program.
>
>If you feel this, then try MovieFactory 3 from Ulead (trial available).

Thanks Alpha, for your incredible patience with suggestions. I've
been taking a break from Nero since the weekend, but appreciate the
help and suggestions you've offered.