usb recognition of dv camera

I am tearing my hair out trying to get my XP system to recognize the
Panasonic
MiniDV PalmCorder PV-DV102D over a USB hookup so I can transcribe the
contents of a dv tape onto a dvd. The software provided by Panasonic and
the software I've downloaded refuse to recognize it. WinXP, with all its
latest bells and whistles, just keeps saying "unknown usb device."
Panasonic keeps saying that it should work and charged me $22 for a cd of
the software which didn't work!
One good thing came out of all this -- I upgraded my motherboard bios and
smoothed over a few other developing problems with usb 2.0.
Does anyone have any ideas to offer?
8 answers Last reply
More about recognition camera

    Jark wrote:
    > I am tearing my hair out trying to get my XP system to recognize the
    > Panasonic
    > MiniDV PalmCorder PV-DV102D over a USB hookup so I can transcribe the
    > contents of a dv tape onto a dvd. The software provided by Panasonic
    > and the software I've downloaded refuse to recognize it. WinXP, with
    > all its latest bells and whistles, just keeps saying "unknown usb
    > device." Panasonic keeps saying that it should work and charged me
    > $22 for a cd of the software which didn't work!
    > One good thing came out of all this -- I upgraded my motherboard bios
    > and smoothed over a few other developing problems with usb 2.0.
    > Does anyone have any ideas to offer?

    Give up on USB. Spend a few bucks, buy a firewire card & cable and you're
    all set.

    Mike

    Jark wrote:

    > I am tearing my hair out trying to get my XP system to recognize the
    > Panasonic MiniDV PalmCorder PV-DV102D over a USB hookup so I can
    > transcribe the contents of a dv tape onto a dvd. [...] Does anyone
    > have any ideas to offer?

    Do what you should have done in the first place: forget about the USB
    and get a Firewire (IEEE-1394) card for your computer and a suitable
    Firewire cable (usually 6-to-4-pin) for connecting your camcorder to the
    card. All your problems will magically disappear.

    --
    znark

    Thanks, Mark, Mike, and Tim. I looked long and hard at firewire, but I'm
    not sure if my board supports it -- or does it just require a pci-card path
    to the bus? I checked out my mb's specs and found that there is no 1394
    connection, but it was provided on the very next mb revision.
    Will a firewire card work in a board not completely designed for it?
    (Gigabyte GA-7VT600L -- no rev. number).

    In article <7PbSd.1650$Az5.354@reader1.news.jippii.net>, Jukka Aho
    <jukka.aho@iki.fi> writes
    >Jark wrote:
    >
    >> I am tearing my hair out trying to get my XP system to recognize the
    >>Panasonic MiniDV PalmCorder PV-DV102D over a USB hookup so I can
    >>transcribe the contents of a dv tape onto a dvd. [...] Does anyone
    >>have any ideas to offer?
    >
    >Do what you should have done in the first place: forget about the USB
    >and get a Firewire (IEEE-1394) card for your computer and a suitable
    >Firewire cable (usually 6-to-4-pin) for connecting your camcorder to
    >the card. All your problems will magically disappear.

    You can't transfer DV tape via USB anyway, you can only transfer still
    images.
    --
    Tim Mitchell

    yes. a PCI fw card will work fine.

    If you are on XP SP2 USB2.0 has been mangled on that release of the servie
    pack.

    Also, as a nother poster said,,, USB is only for stills.
    "Jark" <timcole@colescorner.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Mark, Mike, and Tim. I looked long and hard at firewire, but I'm
    > not sure if my board supports it -- or does it just require a pci-card
    > path to the bus? I checked out my mb's specs and found that there is no
    > 1394 connection, but it was provided on the very next mb revision.
    > Will a firewire card work in a board not completely designed for it?
    > (Gigabyte GA-7VT600L -- no rev. number).
    >

    > "Jukka Aho" <jukka.aho@iki.fi> wrote in message
    >> Jark wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am tearing my hair out trying to get my XP system to recognize the
    >>> Panasonic MiniDV PalmCorder PV-DV102D over a USB hookup so I can
    >>> transcribe the contents of a dv tape onto a dvd. [...] Does anyone have
    >>> any ideas to offer?
    >>
    >> Do what you should have done in the first place: forget about the USB and
    >> get a Firewire (IEEE-1394) card for your computer and a suitable Firewire
    >> cable (usually 6-to-4-pin) for connecting your camcorder to the card. All
    >> your problems will magically disappear.
    >>
    >> --
    >> znark

    Thanks -- you guys have been a big help!
    I'm runnin' downtown to buy me a firewire card and cable (got paid
    yesterday)
    I'll post my success or failure here.

    "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
    > yes. a PCI fw card will work fine.
    >
    > If you are on XP SP2 USB2.0 has been mangled on that release of the servie
    > pack.
    >
    > Also, as a nother poster said,,, USB is only for stills.
    > "Jark" <timcole@colescorner.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks, Mark, Mike, and Tim. I looked long and hard at firewire, but I'm
    >> not sure if my board supports it -- or does it just require a pci-card
    >> path to the bus? I checked out my mb's specs and found that there is no
    >> 1394 connection, but it was provided on the very next mb revision.
    >> Will a firewire card work in a board not completely designed for it?
    >> (Gigabyte GA-7VT600L -- no rev. number).
    >>

    >> "Jukka Aho" <jukka.aho@iki.fi> wrote in message

    >>> Do what you should have done in the first place: forget about the USB
    >>> and get a Firewire (IEEE-1394) card for your computer and a suitable
    >>> Firewire cable (usually 6-to-4-pin) for connecting your camcorder to the
    >>> card. All your problems will magically disappear.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> znark

    Unfortunately you have found your way into a problem caused by a
    communtications gap in the world of digital video. Please, take the time to
    read your camcorder manual very carefully beginning on page 43. This chapter
    is labeled "Editing Features" should I have the page number wrong. Then also
    read the section labeled "Card (Optional) Features. Once you have read these
    sections you will probably see more clearly why the tech's at Panasonic did
    not clearly understand your needs.

    Many camcorders have the optional memory card feature. These cards have the
    ability to store still images in perhaps two or more different resolutions,
    plus the ability to record short MPEG movie sequences. The basic terminology
    used by most consumers to describe these MPEG sequences is "My Movies" - as
    I did by calling them 'short MPEG movie sequences". It is also commonplace
    to term the recordings to the video cassette "My Movies". Should you call
    technical support with the description "I cannot download my movies over the
    USB connection" it is only natural for the tech to assume you are meaning
    those MPEG sequences from the memory card. I blame your situaition on the
    tech for not clarifying the true nature of your problem by asking a few
    simple questions concerning the source of "your movies".

    Naturally I am only assuming the conversation was somewhat vague from your
    side. I am only speaking from the types of conversations I personally have
    with people attempting to deal with their equipment, what they may think is
    the proper means of using that equipment, and the reality of how that
    equipment actually works. Mind you, I am not intimating you are not a
    knowledgable person. With all the differeing links to computers from
    camcorders, memory chips, and the multitude of technical jargon it does take
    a lot of study to realize their differences.

    My advice would be to contact Panasonic for the return of the un-needed
    software. Simply tell them there was a miscommunication in the whole thing
    and I am sure they will comply. In the meantime, you should take the time to
    read or even re-read the sections of the camcorder manual beginning with
    "Editing Features". The section on the memory card clearly says the MPEG
    videos can only be downloaded using the USB and Movie Messenger.

    For capture and editing of your DV footage you will need a 1394 card in a
    slot which does not share resources with another device. The ADS Pyro cards
    are good ones, and the ADS Pyro Professional ships with Premiere Pro 1.5,
    Encore 1.5 and Audition 1.5 at around $500. Otherwise an inexpensive 1394
    card is fine and you could use Windows Movie Maker, though that software
    lacks a bit in editing features is a good place for beginner to get their
    feet wet.

    If you would like some personal assistance please send an e-mail using the
    webmaster address below.

    --
    Larry Johnson
    Digital Video Solutions

    >I am tearing my hair out trying to get my XP system to recognize the
    >Panasonic
    > MiniDV PalmCorder PV-DV102D over a USB hookup so I can transcribe the
    > contents of a dv tape onto a dvd. The software provided by Panasonic and
    > the software I've downloaded refuse to recognize it. WinXP, with all its
    > latest bells and whistles, just keeps saying "unknown usb device."
    > Panasonic keeps saying that it should work and charged me $22 for a cd of
    > the software which didn't work!
    > One good thing came out of all this -- I upgraded my motherboard bios and
    > smoothed over a few other developing problems with usb 2.0.
    > Does anyone have any ideas to offer?

    As promised -- I ran out and bought me a firewire card, installed it, and
    successfully transferred the full contents of a dv tape. I bought the only
    card I could find: a Belkin, at Staples for $50 with cable. There was no
    problem with my motherboard, and I had updated my bios and chipset in
    anticipation (solved some other developing problems as well).

    Some explanation: this is not my camera -- it belongs to a dance studio,
    and among the video shots is one that must be transferred to a dvd and
    mailed to a man's daughter in Florida so that they can wow their friends and
    neighbors at some father/daughter dance when she comes to Chicago next
    month.

    I am very impressed with the amount and quality of help that I received from
    all of you. Thank you very much.
    Tim (aka Jark)

    > Thanks -- you guys have been a big help!
    > I'm runnin' downtown to buy me a firewire card and cable (got paid
    > yesterday)
    > I'll post my success or failure here.
    >

    > "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
    >> yes. a PCI fw card will work fine.
    >>
    >> If you are on XP SP2 USB2.0 has been mangled on that release of the
    >> servie pack.
    >>
    >> Also, as a nother poster said,,, USB is only for stills.
    >> "Jark" <timcole@colescorner.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks, Mark, Mike, and Tim. I looked long and hard at firewire, but
    >>> I'm not sure if my board supports it -- or does it just require a
    >>> pci-card path to the bus? I checked out my mb's specs and found that
    >>> there is no 1394 connection, but it was provided on the very next mb
    >>> revision.
    >>> Will a firewire card work in a board not completely designed for it?
    >>> (Gigabyte GA-7VT600L -- no rev. number).
    >>>

    >>> "Jukka Aho" <jukka.aho@iki.fi> wrote in message

Tuner Cards USB Software Graphics