Remote Assistance and ICS

While I basically understand the requirements for UPnP on the Novice side in
order to get RA to work, my question is: If I setup Windows 2000 or 2003
Server "out of the box" and enable ICS "as basic as possible" so the server
is my "router" (using 2 NICs) is there anything else that needs to be
configured on them so that the internal clients can be "Novices" to external
"Experts"? Can you guide be to where these modifications are in Win2K and
Win2K3 Server? Thanks in advance.

EvilLama <EvilLama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> While I basically understand the requirements for UPnP on the Novice
> side in order to get RA to work, my question is: If I setup Windows
> 2000 or 2003 Server "out of the box" and enable ICS "as basic as
> possible" so the server is my "router" (using 2 NICs) is there
> anything else that needs to be configured on them so that the
> internal clients can be "Novices" to external "Experts"? Can you
> guide be to where these modifications are in Win2K and Win2K3 Server?

Windows 2000 does not support UPnP in ICS, so that will definitely not work.

Windows XP is known to support UPnP in ICS.

I cannot find any documentation for Windows 2003 ICS that answers this
question, but given XP supports it, I would guess 2003 supports it too.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Wow...didn't realize that about Win2K Server. Guess if I'm going to "support"
my mom's home XP machine (behind a Win2K ICS server) I'll have to upgrade it
to Win2K3. Thanks...

ENV

"Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:

> EvilLama <EvilLama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > While I basically understand the requirements for UPnP on the Novice
> > side in order to get RA to work, my question is: If I setup Windows
> > 2000 or 2003 Server "out of the box" and enable ICS "as basic as
> > possible" so the server is my "router" (using 2 NICs) is there
> > anything else that needs to be configured on them so that the
> > internal clients can be "Novices" to external "Experts"? Can you
> > guide be to where these modifications are in Win2K and Win2K3 Server?
>
> Windows 2000 does not support UPnP in ICS, so that will definitely not work.
>
> Windows XP is known to support UPnP in ICS.
>
> I cannot find any documentation for Windows 2003 ICS that answers this
> question, but given XP supports it, I would guess 2003 supports it too.
>
> --
> Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Or get a UPnP capable router...Of course that presumes your mother has a broadband ISP...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"user5682" wrote:
> Or get a UPnP capable router...Of course that presumes your
> mother has a broadband ISP...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for
> the mutual benefit of all of us...
> confers no rights...
>
> "EvilLama" <EvilLama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > Wow...didn't realize that about Win2K Server. Guess if I'm
> going to "support"
> > my mom's home XP machine (behind a Win2K ICS server) I'll
> have to upgrade it
> > to Win2K3. Thanks...
> >
> > ENV
> >
> > "Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:
> >
>  >> EvilLama <EvilLama@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>  >>
>   >> > While I basically understand the requirements
> for UPnP on the Novice
>   >> > side in order to get RA to work, my question
> is: If I setup Windows
>   >> > 2000 or 2003 Server "out of the box" and
> enable ICS "as basic as
>   >> > possible" so the server is my "router" (using
> 2 NICs) is there
>   >> > anything else that needs to be configured on
> them so that the
>   >> > internal clients can be "Novices" to external
> "Experts"? Can you
>   >> > guide be to where these modifications are in
> Win2K and Win2K3 Server?
>  >>
>  >> Windows 2000 does not support UPnP in ICS, so that
> will definitely not work.
>  >>
>  >> Windows XP is known to support UPnP in ICS.
>  >>
>  >> I cannot find any documentation for Windows 2003 ICS
> that answers this
>  >> question, but given XP supports it, I would guess
> 2003 supports it too.
>  >>
>  >> --
>  >> Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
>  >> rdhw@cam.ac.uk
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>

Or use another product such as VNC
free, easy to install and quite fast over the internet.

http://www.realvnc.com/

The default port is 5900 so just make sure you forward that port