DMA in XP

Does DMA play a part in XP like in Windows 98? I had some frames dropped
while copying to tape a 10 minute edited avi clip. I can not find anything
on turn on or off DMA in XP. I hope I am in the right ball field with this
question? If there is such a animal, where do I go to turn on or off DMA in
XP?

They hid it away under IDE/ATAPI on device manager then advanced
settings.....i think...you`ll find it anyway!

to force a change just remove(uninstall) the offending channel and let xp
reset it on reboot!

"l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Does DMA play a part in XP like in Windows 98? I had some frames dropped
> while copying to tape a 10 minute edited avi clip. I can not find
anything
> on turn on or off DMA in XP. I hope I am in the right ball field with
this
> question? If there is such a animal, where do I go to turn on or off DMA
in
> XP?

Yes, having DMA enabled will definitely make a difference.
Ginchy was very close. Right click "my computer" - select "manage" - select
"device manager" - expand "IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers" - right click "Primary
IDE Channel" & select "properties - advanced settings" - make sure
"transfer mode" is set to "DMA if available". HTH.

Mike

Ginchy wrote:
> They hid it away under IDE/ATAPI on device manager then advanced
> settings.....i think...you`ll find it anyway!
>
> to force a change just remove(uninstall) the offending channel and
> let xp reset it on reboot!
>

> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Does DMA play a part in XP like in Windows 98? I had some frames
>> dropped while copying to tape a 10 minute edited avi clip. I can
>> not find anything on turn on or off DMA in XP. I hope I am in the
>> right ball field with this question? If there is such a animal,
>> where do I go to turn on or off DMA in XP?

I went through the motions and found that "DMA is available"...should I
leave it alone??

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Yes, having DMA enabled will definitely make a difference.
> Ginchy was very close. Right click "my computer" - select "manage" -
> select
> "device manager" - expand "IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers" - right click
> "Primary
> IDE Channel" & select "properties - advanced settings" - make sure
> "transfer mode" is set to "DMA if available". HTH.
>
> Mike
>

> Ginchy wrote:
>> They hid it away under IDE/ATAPI on device manager then advanced
>> settings.....i think...you`ll find it anyway!
>>
>> to force a change just remove(uninstall) the offending channel and
>> let xp reset it on reboot!
>>

>> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> Does DMA play a part in XP like in Windows 98? I had some frames
>>> dropped while copying to tape a 10 minute edited avi clip. I can
>>> not find anything on turn on or off DMA in XP. I hope I am in the
>>> right ball field with this question? If there is such a animal,
>>> where do I go to turn on or off DMA in XP?

Yes because that's not the source of your problem.
You didn't say what program you're using so I'll be generic here.
Is this on a laptop or a desktop? Is it firewire? Are you feeding this
from a different drive than your OS? Do you have all unnecessary background
tasks disabled? Have you tweaked your system yet? There's an excellent
series of articles on this at http://www.videoguys.com/WinXP.html

Mike

l wrote:
> I went through the motions and found that "DMA is available"...should
> I leave it alone??
>

> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Yes, having DMA enabled will definitely make a difference.
>> Ginchy was very close. Right click "my computer" - select "manage" -
>> select
>> "device manager" - expand "IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers" - right click
>> "Primary
>> IDE Channel" & select "properties - advanced settings" - make sure
>> "transfer mode" is set to "DMA if available". HTH.
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> Ginchy wrote:
>>> They hid it away under IDE/ATAPI on device manager then advanced
>>> settings.....i think...you`ll find it anyway!
>>>
>>> to force a change just remove(uninstall) the offending channel and
>>> let xp reset it on reboot!
>>>

>>> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Device 0 on transfer mode was "DMA available" on Device 1 it was PIO, so I
changed that to "DMA available, did I do okay?

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Yes, having DMA enabled will definitely make a difference.
> Ginchy was very close. Right click "my computer" - select "manage" -
> select
> "device manager" - expand "IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers" - right click
> "Primary
> IDE Channel" & select "properties - advanced settings" - make sure
> "transfer mode" is set to "DMA if available". HTH.
>
> Mike
>

> Ginchy wrote:
>> They hid it away under IDE/ATAPI on device manager then advanced
>> settings.....i think...you`ll find it anyway!
>>
>> to force a change just remove(uninstall) the offending channel and
>> let xp reset it on reboot!
>>

>> "l" <dusty-dryroads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> Does DMA play a part in XP like in Windows 98? I had some frames
>>> dropped while copying to tape a 10 minute edited avi clip. I can
>>> not find anything on turn on or off DMA in XP. I hope I am in the
>>> right ball field with this question? If there is such a animal,
>>> where do I go to turn on or off DMA in XP?

this is a desktop using xp with 700 RAM a dimension 8250 Dell. I have 60
gigabytes on my hard drive and an external one with 70 gigabytes. I have all
background disabled, but sometimes I leave my modem on, but I disconnect it
most of the time.

> Yes because that's not the source of your problem.
> You didn't say what program you're using so I'll be generic here.
> Is this on a laptop or a desktop? Is it firewire? Are you feeding this
> from a different drive than your OS? Do you have all unnecessary
> background
> tasks disabled? Have you tweaked your system yet? There's an excellent
> series of articles on this at http://www.videoguys.com/WinXP.html
>
> Mike
>

> l wrote:
>> I went through the motions and found that "DMA is available"...should
>> I leave it alone??
>>

>> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> Yes, having DMA enabled will definitely make a difference.
>>> Ginchy was very close. Right click "my computer" - select "manage" -
>>> select
>>> "device manager" - expand "IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers" - right click
>>> "Primary
>>> IDE Channel" & select "properties - advanced settings" - make sure
>>> "transfer mode" is set to "DMA if available". HTH.
>>>
>>> Mike

yes you did do ok and that could be your problem

do you also defrag the drive regular? if not do so!