Remote desktop, using port forwarding through ADSL router...

Hi...

I have:

Windows XP Pro SP2 wired via ethernet to BTVOYAGER 2100 ADSL modem/router
and Windows XP Pro SP2 laptop wirelessly connected to the same router.

I am trying to set up a remote desktop connection.

In the BTVOYAGER 2100 configuration manager at Virtual Server -> Port
Forwarding - Add new rule, I have:

1) In IP address box I have added the IP of my desktop, which is 192.168.1.3
2) In the 2 boxes entitled External Packet, Start Port and End Port, I am
stumped.
3) Next to this are two boxes entitled Forward to Internal Host, Start Port
& End Port, I have typed 3389 into the Start Port, but I have no idea what
else to do.

Can anyone explain to me what External Packet, Start Port and End Port &
Forward to Internal Host, Start Port & End Port mean?

Thanks

Charlie
2 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop port forwarding adsl router

    Charles Robertson <CharlesRobertson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Windows XP Pro SP2 wired via ethernet to BTVOYAGER 2100 ADSL
    > modem/router and Windows XP Pro SP2 laptop wirelessly connected to
    > the same router.
    >
    > I am trying to set up a remote desktop connection.
    >
    > In the BTVOYAGER 2100 configuration manager at Virtual Server -> Port
    > Forwarding - Add new rule, I have:
    >
    > 1) In IP address box I have added the IP of my desktop, which is
    > 192.168.1.3
    > 2) In the 2 boxes entitled External Packet, Start Port
    > and End Port, I am stumped.

    Set Start Port = 3389
    Set End Port = 3389

    i.e. the range of ports you are forwarding is 3389 to 3389.

    > 3) Next to this are two boxes entitled Forward to Internal Host,
    > Start Port & End Port, I have typed 3389 into the Start Port, but I
    > have no idea what else to do.

    Again, set both to 3389, for range 3389 to 3389.

    --
    Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    Thanks for this Robin...

    2 more questions:

    1) Which machine do I set this up on; is it the machine that I want to access
    2) From the machine that I am using to access the other, how do I actually
    access it; do I type in a URL to the browser or is there a piece of software
    that connects me?

    I hope this makes sense...

    Many thanks...

    Charlie

    "Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:

    > Charles Robertson <CharlesRobertson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Windows XP Pro SP2 wired via ethernet to BTVOYAGER 2100 ADSL
    > > modem/router and Windows XP Pro SP2 laptop wirelessly connected to
    > > the same router.
    > >
    > > I am trying to set up a remote desktop connection.
    > >
    > > In the BTVOYAGER 2100 configuration manager at Virtual Server -> Port
    > > Forwarding - Add new rule, I have:
    > >
    > > 1) In IP address box I have added the IP of my desktop, which is
    > > 192.168.1.3
    > > 2) In the 2 boxes entitled External Packet, Start Port
    > > and End Port, I am stumped.
    >
    > Set Start Port = 3389
    > Set End Port = 3389
    >
    > i.e. the range of ports you are forwarding is 3389 to 3389.
    >
    > > 3) Next to this are two boxes entitled Forward to Internal Host,
    > > Start Port & End Port, I have typed 3389 into the Start Port, but I
    > > have no idea what else to do.
    >
    > Again, set both to 3389, for range 3389 to 3389.
    >
    > --
    > Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
    > rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Remote Desktop Routers Port Forwarding Windows XP