Remote desktop, using port forwarding through ADSL router...

January 31, 2005 1:18:06 PM

Hi...

I have:

Windows XP Pro SP2 wired via ethernet to BTVOYAGER 2100 ADSL modem/router
and Windows XP Pro SP2 laptop wirelessly connected to the same router.

I am trying to set up a remote desktop connection.

In the BTVOYAGER 2100 configuration manager at Virtual Server -> Port
Forwarding - Add new rule, I have:

1) In IP address box I have added the IP of my desktop, which is 192.168.1.3
2) In the 2 boxes entitled External Packet, Start Port and End Port, I am
stumped.
3) Next to this are two boxes entitled Forward to Internal Host, Start Port
& End Port, I have typed 3389 into the Start Port, but I have no idea what
else to do.

Can anyone explain to me what External Packet, Start Port and End Port &
Forward to Internal Host, Start Port & End Port mean?

Thanks

Charlie
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 9:30:54 PM

Charles Robertson <CharlesRobertson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Windows XP Pro SP2 wired via ethernet to BTVOYAGER 2100 ADSL
> modem/router and Windows XP Pro SP2 laptop wirelessly connected to
> the same router.
>
> I am trying to set up a remote desktop connection.
>
> In the BTVOYAGER 2100 configuration manager at Virtual Server -> Port
> Forwarding - Add new rule, I have:
>
> 1) In IP address box I have added the IP of my desktop, which is
> 192.168.1.3
> 2) In the 2 boxes entitled External Packet, Start Port
> and End Port, I am stumped.

Set Start Port = 3389
Set End Port = 3389

i.e. the range of ports you are forwarding is 3389 to 3389.

> 3) Next to this are two boxes entitled Forward to Internal Host,
> Start Port & End Port, I have typed 3389 into the Start Port, but I
> have no idea what else to do.

Again, set both to 3389, for range 3389 to 3389.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Thanks for this Robin...

2 more questions:

1) Which machine do I set this up on; is it the machine that I want to access
2) From the machine that I am using to access the other, how do I actually
access it; do I type in a URL to the browser or is there a piece of software
that connects me?

I hope this makes sense...

Many thanks...

Charlie