VPN in XP Pro

Can anyone tell me where I can find step by step directions on how to setup a
VPN on XP SP2. I have a server set up 1 machine hooked directly to a cble
modem with windows firewall enabled. I am try to net work to this machine
with my machine with XP Pro SP2 with firewall enabled this machine is behind
a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. Problem I make the connection to the
machine just fine but I can't see the server on the other end it doesn't
show up in "network places" or in the "View Workgroup Computers" screen. I
assume I should see the server in these places. On the server I have only 1
folder being shared and both of the printers. I have hooked this up in
several senarios on my end even totally turning off the firewalls on both
ends and hooking my macine directly to the cable modem with no luck. I know
after all this there is some check box somewhere that I haven't checked. In
the future I am going to be setting up my machne behind the router to be a
server so if anyone has any tips on this I whould appriecate your help.
2 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Parker

    Have a look at these MS technical Articles (they helped me
    with Win2k)....

    VPN Website
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/technologies/communications/vpn/default.asp

    RA Intro and Overview
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/communications/remoteaccess/raoverview.asp

    Deploying RA VPNs
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/incremental/vpndeploy.asp

    HTH

    Malcolm

    "Parker" <Parker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me where I can find step by step
    > directions on how to setup a
    > VPN on XP SP2. I have a server set up 1 machine hooked
    > directly to a cble
    > modem with windows firewall enabled. I am try to net work
    > to this machine
    > with my machine with XP Pro SP2 with firewall enabled this
    > machine is behind
    > a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. Problem I make the
    > connection to the
    > machine just fine but I can't see the server on the other
    > end it doesn't
    > show up in "network places" or in the "View Workgroup
    > Computers" screen. I
    > assume I should see the server in these places. On the
    > server I have only 1
    > folder being shared and both of the printers. I have
    > hooked this up in
    > several senarios on my end even totally turning off the
    > firewalls on both
    > ends and hooking my macine directly to the cable modem
    > with no luck. I know
    > after all this there is some check box somewhere that I
    > haven't checked. In
    > the future I am going to be setting up my machne behind
    > the router to be a
    > server so if anyone has any tips on this I whould
    > appriecate your help.

    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
    these gave me what I needed to start
    very nice and easy to follow

    "Parker" <Parker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me where I can find step by step directions on how to
    > setup a
    > VPN on XP SP2. I have a server set up 1 machine hooked directly to a cble
    > modem with windows firewall enabled. I am try to net work to this machine
    > with my machine with XP Pro SP2 with firewall enabled this machine is
    > behind
    > a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. Problem I make the connection to the
    > machine just fine but I can't see the server on the other end it doesn't
    > show up in "network places" or in the "View Workgroup Computers" screen.
    > assume I should see the server in these places. On the server I have only
    > 1
    > folder being shared and both of the printers. I have hooked this up in
    > several senarios on my end even totally turning off the firewalls on both
    > ends and hooking my macine directly to the cable modem with no luck. I
    > know
    > after all this there is some check box somewhere that I haven't checked.
    > In
    > the future I am going to be setting up my machne behind the router to be a
    > server so if anyone has any tips on this I whould appriecate your help.

Windows XP Servers