Setting up RDC on port other than 3389

How do you setup a remote PC within the network to listen in on a port other
than 3389? Is there anything that must be done beyond the router port
forwarding assignment, using the new port and forwarding that to the local
machine on network?

Let's say I'm going to use port 3390 for a PC on the internal network with a
static address of 192.168.1.150

I configure the router to listen on TCP 3390 and forward all requests for
this port to 192.168.1.150. The router's external IP for this examp is say
23.23.10.125

After configuring router would I then contact PC from outside network by
specifying the external IP address + port redirection (ie,
23.23.10.125:3390) -- using this in the Remote Desktop Computer address
window? Or do I have to make some registry edits/entries on the desktop
machine as well?

Port 3390 on this network is already port-forwarded to a server, which I'd
like to keep. I could use another static external IP, but the ISP vendor
sells the statics to this customer one at a time (not enough competition, I
guess) so this might get expensive.

Thanks,
Tom
6 answers Last reply
More about setting port 3389

    You also need to change the listening port on the PC you want to access using Port 3390 (your
    example)...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306759

    Reboot the PC after making the registry change...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Tom M" <tmcnally@mdl.com> wrote in message news:%23zLIVECCFHA.3824@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > How do you setup a remote PC within the network to listen in on a port other than 3389? Is there
    > anything that must be done beyond the router port forwarding assignment, using the new port and
    > forwarding that to the local machine on network?
    >
    > Let's say I'm going to use port 3390 for a PC on the internal network with a static address of
    > 192.168.1.150
    >
    > I configure the router to listen on TCP 3390 and forward all requests for this port to
    > 192.168.1.150. The router's external IP for this examp is say 23.23.10.125
    >
    > After configuring router would I then contact PC from outside network by specifying the external
    > IP address + port redirection (ie, 23.23.10.125:3390) -- using this in the Remote Desktop Computer
    > address window? Or do I have to make some registry edits/entries on the desktop machine as well?
    >
    > Port 3390 on this network is already port-forwarded to a server, which I'd like to keep. I could
    > use another static external IP, but the ISP vendor sells the statics to this customer one at a
    > time (not enough competition, I guess) so this might get expensive.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tom

    Thanks, Al!

    "Sooner Al (MVP)" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > You also need to change the listening port on the PC you want to access
    > using Port 3390 (your example)...
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306759
    >
    > Reboot the PC after making the registry change...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >
    > "Tom M" <tmcnally@mdl.com> wrote in message
    >> How do you setup a remote PC within the network to listen in on a port
    >> other than 3389? Is there anything that must be done beyond the router
    >> port forwarding assignment, using the new port and forwarding that to the
    >> local machine on network?
    >>
    >> Let's say I'm going to use port 3390 for a PC on the internal network
    >> with a static address of 192.168.1.150
    >>
    >> I configure the router to listen on TCP 3390 and forward all requests for
    >> this port to 192.168.1.150. The router's external IP for this examp is
    >> say 23.23.10.125
    >>
    >> After configuring router would I then contact PC from outside network by
    >> specifying the external IP address + port redirection (ie,
    >> 23.23.10.125:3390) -- using this in the Remote Desktop Computer address
    >> window? Or do I have to make some registry edits/entries on the desktop
    >> machine as well?
    >>
    >> Port 3390 on this network is already port-forwarded to a server, which
    >> I'd like to keep. I could use another static external IP, but the ISP
    >> vendor sells the statics to this customer one at a time (not enough
    >> competition, I guess) so this might get expensive.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Tom

    Is this a good idea to do for security reasons? And are there any security
    guidelines I should follow in picking the new RD port?

    Thanks,
    JR

    "Tom M" wrote:

    > Thanks, Al!
    >
    > "Sooner Al (MVP)" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > > You also need to change the listening port on the PC you want to access
    > > using Port 3390 (your example)...
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306759
    > >
    > > Reboot the PC after making the registry change...
    > >
    > > --
    > > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >
    > > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
    > > benefit of all of us...
    > > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > > rights...
    > >
    > > "Tom M" <tmcnally@mdl.com> wrote in message
    > >> How do you setup a remote PC within the network to listen in on a port
    > >> other than 3389? Is there anything that must be done beyond the router
    > >> port forwarding assignment, using the new port and forwarding that to the
    > >> local machine on network?
    > >>
    > >> Let's say I'm going to use port 3390 for a PC on the internal network
    > >> with a static address of 192.168.1.150
    > >>
    > >> I configure the router to listen on TCP 3390 and forward all requests for
    > >> this port to 192.168.1.150. The router's external IP for this examp is
    > >> say 23.23.10.125
    > >>
    > >> After configuring router would I then contact PC from outside network by
    > >> specifying the external IP address + port redirection (ie,
    > >> 23.23.10.125:3390) -- using this in the Remote Desktop Computer address
    > >> window? Or do I have to make some registry edits/entries on the desktop
    > >> machine as well?
    > >>
    > >> Port 3390 on this network is already port-forwarded to a server, which
    > >> I'd like to keep. I could use another static external IP, but the ISP
    > >> vendor sells the statics to this customer one at a time (not enough
    > >> competition, I guess) so this might get expensive.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Tom

    Some people believe in the "security through obscurity" theory, which your trying to do if you
    change the listening port to something other than the default. Personally, I think using a *strong*
    password and limiting Remote Desktop access to a specific user is sufficient, at least in my case.

    You could always run Remote Desktop through a VPN or SSH tunnel for added security.

    It really comes down to how much risk you are comfortable with...

    --

    Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
    > Some people believe in the "security through obscurity" theory, which
    your trying to do if you
    > change the listening port to something other than the default.
    Personally, I think using a *strong*
    > password and limiting Remote Desktop access to a specific user is
    sufficient, at least in my case.

    > You could always run Remote Desktop through a VPN or SSH tunnel for
    added security.

    > It really comes down to how much risk you are comfortable with...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    WiSSH (http://www.wissh.com) is a very nice RDP over SSH solution. And
    when used with a Windows SSH daemon service, such as FreeSSHd from
    http://www.freesshd.com, its even better for the small setups to use.

    Chad

    Chad,

    Thanks for that...

    --

    <chad@bluestream.org> wrote in message news:1107639848.330440.118270@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
    > Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
    >> Some people believe in the "security through obscurity" theory, which
    > your trying to do if you
    >> change the listening port to something other than the default.
    > Personally, I think using a *strong*
    >> password and limiting Remote Desktop access to a specific user is
    > sufficient, at least in my case.
    >>
    >> You could always run Remote Desktop through a VPN or SSH tunnel for
    > added security.
    >>
    >> It really comes down to how much risk you are comfortable with...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >
    > WiSSH (http://www.wissh.com) is a very nice RDP over SSH solution. And
    > when used with a Windows SSH daemon service, such as FreeSSHd from
    > http://www.freesshd.com, its even better for the small setups to use.
    >
    > Chad

Routers Windows XP