john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.tfclassic (More info?)

I have CS installed but i cannot get a connection with a server. Does anyone
know a answer for me what to do. I have installed everything even DOD. and
all the others.

Or maybe a website i can look for the answer.

thanks

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 09:29:24 +0200, "John" <johnvanzon@quicknet.nl> wrote:

>I have CS installed but i cannot get a connection with a server. Does anyone
>know a answer for me what to do. I have installed everything even DOD. and
>all the others.
>
>Or maybe a website i can look for the answer.

In addition to the suggestions made by other posters, you also need to
provide information about your ISP, as well as the connection between you
and the Internet (e.g. Is there a firewall or some form of NAT?)

www.google.com has all the help.

--

alt i s enter
l i s enter

---

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.tfclassic (More info?)

"John" <johnvanzon@quicknet.nl> wrote in message
> I have CS installed but i cannot get a connection with a server.
Does anyone
> know a answer for me what to do. I have installed everything even
DOD. and
> all the others.

Which version of CS have you installed? If you bought a Boxed CD then
you will need to visit www.steampowered.com and update it to the
latest version (1.6) If you already have 1.6 and a steam account then
you need to tell us what error messages you get.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.tfclassic (More info?)

I got 1.6 Steam and already signed in
here is what i do and see.

Start C.S
- Play CS
- Quickstart
- I get the message :Out of date
- Then i run update
- receiving servers
- Countdown
- Then a message show: Could not connect to gameserver. Reason: Could not
complete connection attempt.

> I got 1.6 Steam and already signed in
> here is what i do and see.
>
> Start C.S
> - Play CS
> - Quickstart
> - I get the message :Out of date
> - Then i run update
> - receiving servers
> - Countdown
> - Then a message show: Could not connect to gameserver. Reason:
Could not
> complete connection attempt.

That sounds very much like CS1.5 to me, 1.6 as far as I can remember
(I haven't played in a few weeks and it's currently updating so I
can't run it) does not have the quickstart option as it uses the
servers window from the steam client

Did you start the steam client then click games then click Counter
Strike?
When you start CS do you get a menu with horrible rough looking text
that "glows" when you select it and fills almost the full height of
the screen or do you get a picture of some cops with the steam logo in
the bottom right and some clean white text in the bottom left with
options to find servers or start a new game etc?

If you get anything but a picture of some cops with the steam logo in
the bottom right then you are not running 1.6.

If this is the case and you are running an old version then the reason
will be that, there aren't many old style WON servers left so the
horrible quickstart option will find any old server and try to connect
even if it's on the other side of the world and will most likely fail
the old WON authentication will soon be switched off (July 31st) and
anything below CS1.6 will not work at all on-line.

"I like toys and cake" <somegeexer@aplace.aa> wrote in message

> "John" <johnvanzon@quicknet.nl> wrote in message
> > I got 1.6 Steam and already signed in
> > here is what i do and see.
> >
> > Start C.S
> > - Play CS
> > - Quickstart
> > - I get the message :Out of date
> > - Then i run update
> > - receiving servers
> > - Countdown
> > - Then a message show: Could not connect to gameserver. Reason:
> Could not
> > complete connection attempt.

> That sounds very much like CS1.5 to me, 1.6 as far as I can remember
> (I haven't played in a few weeks and it's currently updating so I
> can't run it) does not have the quickstart option as it uses the
> servers window from the steam client

CS just finished updating when you start CS if the screen looks
different to this http://www.techaddict.net/csscreen/ then you are
running an old version and need to update. This is a screenshot off
the first screen you get when you run the current CS1.6 release (no
skin packs etc)

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.tfclassic (More info?)

> www.google.com has all the help.

Another smartarse. If that is so then this newsgroup doesn't need to exist.
He/she came to this newsgroup for a particular reason, if you don't know it
then you may need to use Google.

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.tfclassic (More info?)

"WatchOutBeadlesAbout" <nospammedont@antispamdontspambrigade.info.tx> wrote
in message news:cdbibi$j8n$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > www.google.com has all the help.
>
> Another smartarse. If that is so then this newsgroup doesn't need to
exist.
> He/she came to this newsgroup for a particular reason, if you don't know
it
> then you may need to use Google.

OOooh,get her

"sc®umble" <yahboo@gotohellspam.com> wrote in message

> "WatchOutBeadlesAbout" <nospammedont@antispamdontspambrigade.info.tx>
wrote
> in message news:cdbibi$j8n$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > > www.google.com has all the help.
> >
> > Another smartarse. If that is so then this newsgroup doesn't need to
> exist.
> > He/she came to this newsgroup for a particular reason, if you don't know
> it
> > then you may need to use Google.
>
> OOooh,get her

Someone's got sand in their knickers, haven't they?

--

alt i s enter
l i s enter

---

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.tfclassic (More info?)

"WatchOutBeadlesAbout" <nospammedont@antispamdontspambrigade.info.tx> wrote
in message news:cdbibi$j8n$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > www.google.com has all the help.
>
> Another smartarse. If that is so then this newsgroup doesn't need to
exist.
> He/she came to this newsgroup for a particular reason, if you don't know
it
> then you may need to use Google.

How would Google help me exactly?

--

alt i s enter
l i s enter

---

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=newsgroup+etiquette&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=

> "Listy" <britne_yspears@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "WatchOutBeadlesAbout"
> <nospammedont@antispamdontspambrigade.info.tx> wrote
> > in message news:cdbibi$j8n$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > >
> > > Another smartarse. If that is so then this newsgroup doesn't need
> > exist.
> > > He/she came to this newsgroup for a particular reason, if you
> don't know
> > it
> > > then you may need to use Google.
> > >

> > How would Google help me exactly?
>
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=newsgroup+etiquette&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=

It would seem that you could do with reading this one;

http://www.google.com/googlegroups/posting_style.html#avoid

--

alt i s enter
l i s enter

---

> "Listy" <britne_yspears@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >

> > It would seem that you could do with reading this one;
> >
> > http://www.google.com/googlegroups/posting_style.html#avoid
> >
> I didn't start the cross posting I am merely replying, as are you.

Please stop crosspotsing to our group or i will report you

thanks

--

alt i s enter
l i s enter

---

> "I like toys and cake" <somegeexer@aplace.aa> wrote in message
> >
> > "Listy" <britne_yspears@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >

> > > It would seem that you could do with reading this one;
> > >
> > > http://www.google.com/googlegroups/posting_style.html#avoid
> > >
> > I didn't start the cross posting I am merely replying, as are you.
> >

> Please stop crosspotsing to our group or i will report you

Report me for what and to whom? Firstly you are cross-posting to my
group so you would be a hypocrite for even thinking about it and
secondly cross-posting is not forbidden, in fact it is specifically
referred to as being OK in RFC 1855

see http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html

"If you feel an article will be of interest to more than one
Newsgroup, be sure to CROSSPOST the article rather than individually
post it to those groups."

Also as I did not start this cross-posted thread and alt groups are
unmoderated, even if there were rules against cross-posting, there is
not much you can do to me.

> "Listy" <britne_yspears@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "I like toys and cake" <somegeexer@aplace.aa> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Listy" <britne_yspears@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > I didn't start the cross posting I am merely replying, as are you.
> > >

> > Please stop crosspotsing to our group or i will report you
> >

> Report me for what and to whom? Firstly you are cross-posting to my
> group so you would be a hypocrite for even thinking about it and
> secondly cross-posting is not forbidden, in fact it is specifically
> referred to as being OK in RFC 1855
>
> see http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
>
> "If you feel an article will be of interest to more than one
> Newsgroup, be sure to CROSSPOST the article rather than individually
> post it to those groups."
>
> Also as I did not start this cross-posted thread and alt groups are
> unmoderated, even if there were rules against cross-posting, there is
> not much you can do to me.

OK, I have now reported you to the internet for your abusive spam postings.

Please respect this group.

--

alt i s enter
l i s enter

---

> > > Please stop crosspotsing to our group or i will report you
> > >

> > Report me for what and to whom? Firstly you are cross-posting to
my
> > group so you would be a hypocrite for even thinking about it and
> > secondly cross-posting is not forbidden, in fact it is
specifically
> > referred to as being OK in RFC 1855
> >
> > see http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
> >
> > "If you feel an article will be of interest to more than one
> > Newsgroup, be sure to CROSSPOST the article rather than
individually
> > post it to those groups."
> >
> > Also as I did not start this cross-posted thread and alt groups
are
> > unmoderated, even if there were rules against cross-posting, there
is
> > not much you can do to me.
> >

> OK, I have now reported you to the internet for your abusive spam
postings.

> Please respect this group.

As I stated, I have not broken any rules.
The only body you could have reported me to is my ISP and as I have
not broken any rules they cannot do anything.
You never stated which group you subscribe to for me to remove it from
the original posters list.
I have never used abusive or offensive language.
USENET is a medium for free discussion which is what I am doing.
Your first reply in this thread was unhelpful and dismissive, people
come to these groups for discussion and help. Simply pointing them to
search engines is not in the spirit of USENET groups.
Nobody else seems to be bothered by my posts and if they are they have
simply done what you should have done and either added me to their
killfile or simply ignored the thread.

I thought seriously about returning the favour and reporting you to
your ISP but you have not broken any rules either and besides, to do
so would be stooping to your level.

I think perhaps you have found yourself out of your depth. Unable to
offer a firm position in a discussion which arose because of your
dismissive post, simply pointing someone who had asked for help to a
search engine, you have had a juvenile tantrum. To quote one of your
earlier posts in this thread "Someone's got sand in their knickers,
haven't they?"

I have now added you to my killfile so any late attempt at salvaging
some kind of dignity for yourself will be wasted.

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.tfclassic (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 00:10:46 +0100, I like toys and cake
<somegeexer@aplace.aa> wrote:

Just like shooting fish in a barrel. An excellent piece of trolling there
by Mr Listy. For those who have no idea whats going on, ask one of your
newsgroups old-timers about aghltfc.

/me waves to the baby-eaters

--
x-bow

kirby

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

"x-bow" <usenet@snuh.co.uk> wrote in message news:eek:psbbnaun6xsukef@weasel...
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 00:10:46 +0100, I like toys and cake
> <somegeexer@aplace.aa> wrote:
>
> Just like shooting fish in a barrel. An excellent piece of trolling there
> by Mr Listy. For those who have no idea whats going on, ask one of your
> newsgroups old-timers about aghltfc.
>
> /me waves to the baby-eaters

I think the word used to be SPNAK!!!!

/cricket claps Listy

Kirby

> --
> x-bow
> 41581878

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.tfclassic (More info?)

"x-bow" <usenet@snuh.co.uk> wrote in message news:eek:psbbnaun6xsukef@weasel...
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 00:10:46 +0100, I like toys and cake
> <somegeexer@aplace.aa> wrote:
>
> Just like shooting fish in a barrel. An excellent piece of trolling there
> by Mr Listy. For those who have no idea whats going on, ask one of your
> newsgroups old-timers about aghltfc.
>
> /me waves to the baby-eaters

Hey, we're over here!
--
David
davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

> "Listy" <britne_yspears@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > >

> > > Report me for what and to whom? Firstly you are cross-posting to
> my
> > > group so you would be a hypocrite for even thinking about it and
> > > secondly cross-posting is not forbidden, in fact it is
> specifically
> > > referred to as being OK in RFC 1855
> > >
> > > see http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
> > >
> > > "If you feel an article will be of interest to more than one
> > > Newsgroup, be sure to CROSSPOST the article rather than
> individually
> > > post it to those groups."
> > >
> > > Also as I did not start this cross-posted thread and alt groups
> are
> > > unmoderated, even if there were rules against cross-posting, there
> is
> > > not much you can do to me.
> > >

> > OK, I have now reported you to the internet for your abusive spam
> postings.
> >
> > Please respect this group.
> >

> As I stated, I have not broken any rules.
> The only body you could have reported me to is my ISP and as I have
> not broken any rules they cannot do anything.
> You never stated which group you subscribe to for me to remove it from
> the original posters list.
> I have never used abusive or offensive language.
> USENET is a medium for free discussion which is what I am doing.
> Your first reply in this thread was unhelpful and dismissive, people
> come to these groups for discussion and help. Simply pointing them to
> search engines is not in the spirit of USENET groups.

A simple search of Google Groups shows that in fact www.google.com has been
quoted 589,000 times on Usenet, more than any other single phrase. It would
seem that guiding people towards Google is precisely what Usenet exists for.

http://groups.google.com/groups?num=100&hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&safe=off&q=w
ww.google.com

> Nobody else seems to be bothered by my posts and if they are they have
> simply done what you should have done and either added me to their
> killfile or simply ignored the thread.

Two words: Off Topic.

> I thought seriously about returning the favour and reporting you to
> your ISP but you have not broken any rules either and besides, to do
> so would be stooping to your level.

No, *I* haven't broken any rules.

> I think perhaps you have found yourself out of your depth. Unable to
> offer a firm position in a discussion which arose because of your
> dismissive post, simply pointing someone who had asked for help to a
> search engine, you have had a juvenile tantrum. To quote one of your
> earlier posts in this thread "Someone's got sand in their knickers,
> haven't they?"

Let's hear it for Cornflake box psychology!

> I have now added you to my killfile so any late attempt at salvaging
> some kind of dignity for yourself will be wasted.

Yes, but you're actually reading this aren't you? You say you've added me
to your killfile, but in fact I know you are reading this with the morbid
curiosity usually reserved for car crashes or gaping wounds.

Of course, you're reading it from the local library as I had you deleted
from the internet but you're still reading it.

--

alt i s enter
l i s enter

---

> "sc®umble" <yahboo@gotohellspam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "WatchOutBeadlesAbout" <nospammedont@antispamdontspambrigade.info.tx>
> wrote
> > in message news:cdbibi$j8n$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > >
> > > Another smartarse. If that is so then this newsgroup doesn't need to
> > exist.
> > > He/she came to this newsgroup for a particular reason, if you don't
know
> > it
> > > then you may need to use Google.
> >
> > OOooh,get her
> >

> Someone's got sand in their knickers, haven't they?

Crabs as well

/scratches

--
sc um le
------- - - - ------ - - -------- ---

Lond n Z o hav of r d a eward or it aptur

I 's wher abo ts are cur ent y unkn w .
-- - ----------- - - - - - ------- -

"David Firewater" <davidfirewater.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "x-bow" <usenet@snuh.co.uk> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 00:10:46 +0100, I like toys and cake
> > <somegeexer@aplace.aa> wrote:
> >
> > Just like shooting fish in a barrel. An excellent piece of trolling
there
> > by Mr Listy. For those who have no idea whats going on, ask one of your
> > newsgroups old-timers about aghltfc.
> >
> > /me waves to the baby-eaters
>
> Hey, we're over here!

No! I'm over here!

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.tfclassic (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:58:11 +0100, "Listy" <britne_yspears@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> I thought seriously about returning the favour and reporting you to
>> your ISP but you have not broken any rules either and besides, to do
>> so would be stooping to your level.
>
>No, *I* haven't broken any rules.

Of course you haven't. </sarcasm>

>Yes, but you're actually reading this aren't you? You say you've added me
>to your killfile, but in fact I know you are reading this with the morbid
>curiosity usually reserved for car crashes or gaping wounds.

Perhaps you don't know that most killfiles don't take effect for postings
currently being replied to. That's why you see posters saying *PLONK*
while doing the permanent killfile.

By the way, *PLONK*.