Is 64-bit ever going to be completely compatible?

Georgia in MS

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Even after all this time, there are still problems with 64 bit systems. Is it ever going to be accepted 100% of the time like the 32-bit? My company is just now upgrading to allow use of Windows 7 PCs but only 32 bit. All the PC companies mainly want to sell 64 bit.

Solution
64 bit will never be more compatible with the current 16bit and old er problem 32bit apps. but the same 16 bit apps will be replaced by newer 32 bit apps. This will take longest in the corprate market where ther are still system running DOS, Windows 95/98, NT4 and other old systems.

The people who write the software for the banks are very carful and write to the O/S in use NT4/2K are common and the banks are even more carful and will not upgrade the O/S untill ALL of the apps are tested, supported and fully validated on the newer O/S.

With this in mind I would say that the corprate space will be at least 7-10 years before it moves to 64bit O/S but the home and small-medium business (less than 500 computers) will be over 90% 64bit in...

hollett

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
64 bit will never be more compatible with the current 16bit and old er problem 32bit apps. but the same 16 bit apps will be replaced by newer 32 bit apps. This will take longest in the corprate market where ther are still system running DOS, Windows 95/98, NT4 and other old systems.

The people who write the software for the banks are very carful and write to the O/S in use NT4/2K are common and the banks are even more carful and will not upgrade the O/S untill ALL of the apps are tested, supported and fully validated on the newer O/S.

With this in mind I would say that the corprate space will be at least 7-10 years before it moves to 64bit O/S but the home and small-medium business (less than 500 computers) will be over 90% 64bit in the next 5 years.

Solution

Zenthar

Distinguished
Unless they use some DirectX (or maybe even DirectDraw, not sure) functions. But I guess very few legacy applications uses those.

Georgia in MS

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Thanks Hollett for giving me a guestimate for when 64 bit will be widely accepted. It has been a struggle for a couple of years now to buy a PC that was XP, which work requires. Now we are are able to use 7, but it's got to be 32.

It seems I still run into reviews, specs, etc for programs, peripherals, etc that have problems with 64 bit. Seems like the companies for programs, peripherals, etc. did not get on pace with the PC companies.