File copy from client crashes

Hi all,

I connect to my works machine from home, winxp pro to winxp pro. I have
enabled local storage on the client to be visible over the connection.
However, right click a .exe on the client folders and it takes absolutely
ages to return the context menu. Do the same with a zip and its hell of a lot
quicker. Secondly if I try to copy/paste files from the client to my works
machine the explorer on the works machine crashes out and I have to
disconnect and reconnect to get the desktop back.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. Pete.
Pete

trinitypete <trinitypete@online.nospam> wrote:

> I connect to my works machine from home, winxp pro to winxp pro. I
> have enabled local storage on the client to be visible over the
> connection. However, right click a .exe on the client folders and it
> takes absolutely ages to return the context menu. Do the same with a
> zip and its hell of a lot quicker.

I guess that the anti-virus system on the server is scanning the entire .exe
file before displaying the context menu.

> Secondly if I try to copy/paste
> files from the client to my works machine the explorer on the works
> machine crashes out and I have to disconnect and reconnect to get the
> desktop back.

Try investigating your anti-virus.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Thanks Robin - will check server anti virus.

Pete.