Please help a complete idiot select a video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2005 11:38:08 PM

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my video card and I am baffled by all the
choices. A lot has changed since I bought my computer.

My system:
Pentium 3 Processor @ 699Mhz
256MB RAM (This is the maximum allowed for this system)
40GB hard drive (if that matters)

My current card:
NVIDIA TNT2 Model 64

Questions:
My current card is AGP. I see that AGP 2X, 4X, and 8X are available.
What are the advantages of these and can my system support them.

One card I have been considering is the GeForce 5600 128MB. I see
256MB is available too, but is that a waste of money for my system?

Advice, suggestions, much appreciated.

Thanks!
Matt
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 22, 2005 5:18:41 AM

This vintage of motherboard may have an AGP 2X slot, which is not compatible
with some newer cards.
You need to select a card that has a transfer rate/voltage compatible with
your motherboard. It would not be more than 4X, and might be 2X.

I recommend that you not upgrade the video card in this system.
You may encounter compatibility problems, and the motherboard architecture
and CPU speed would tend to choke the performance of an expensive card.

<matt770@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to upgrade my video card and I am baffled by all the
> choices. A lot has changed since I bought my computer.
>
> My system:
> Pentium 3 Processor @ 699Mhz
> 256MB RAM (This is the maximum allowed for this system)
> 40GB hard drive (if that matters)
>
> My current card:
> NVIDIA TNT2 Model 64
>
> Questions:
> My current card is AGP. I see that AGP 2X, 4X, and 8X are available.
> What are the advantages of these and can my system support them.
>
> One card I have been considering is the GeForce 5600 128MB. I see
> 256MB is available too, but is that a waste of money for my system?
>
> Advice, suggestions, much appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Matt

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 22, 2005 5:18:42 AM

I agree. And with new systems complete with decent RAM at about $600, why
bother?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2005 6:34:40 AM

On 21 Feb 2005 20:38:08 -0800, matt770@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm looking to upgrade my video card and I am baffled by all the
>choices. A lot has changed since I bought my computer.
>
>My system:
>Pentium 3 Processor @ 699Mhz
>256MB RAM (This is the maximum allowed for this system)
>40GB hard drive (if that matters)
>
>My current card:
>NVIDIA TNT2 Model 64
>
>Questions:
>My current card is AGP. I see that AGP 2X, 4X, and 8X are available.
>What are the advantages of these and can my system support them.
>
>One card I have been considering is the GeForce 5600 128MB. I see
>256MB is available too, but is that a waste of money for my system?
>
>Advice, suggestions, much appreciated.
>
>Thanks!
>Matt

With you old hardware and ram problems, just stop trying to upgrade
the video. Just save your money and buy new hardware. The most
useless thing in life is to figure that upgrading old, old, equipment
will speed up anything useful. Your machine is just obsolete and
upgrading anything is just shoving money down the toliet. It is kinda
of dumb when your video card has as much ram as your computer. SAVE
YOUR MONEY. until you can just buy another computer.
!