How do you get the raw Dolby bit stream for capture?

David

I would like to somehow capture 480i s-video, or component video along with the raw digital AC3 audio bit stream (optical or coaxial) into a computer. Is there some kind of device and software combination that can do that. The only mechanism I have now that can capture analog video requires analog audio as well. It would be nice to have the original Dolby 5.1 stream as part of the capture. This application is for recording antenna and satellite digital programming from a receiver onto a computer. All video is downconverted to 480i whether in HD or not. The capture would then be MPEG2 encoded along with the Dolby 5.1 audio onto a DVD.

Any suggestions are welcomed. I assume I am not the only one interested in doing this.

David

"David" <someone@some-where.com> wrote in message
I would like to somehow capture 480i s-video, or component video along with
the raw digital AC3 audio bit stream (optical or coaxial) into a computer.
Is there some kind of device and software combination that can do that. The
only mechanism I have now that can capture analog video requires analog
audio as well. It would be nice to have the original Dolby 5.1 stream as
part of the capture. This application is for recording antenna and satellite
digital programming from a receiver onto a computer. All video is
downconverted to 480i whether in HD or not. The capture would then be MPEG2
encoded along with the Dolby 5.1 audio onto a DVD.

Any suggestions are welcomed. I assume I am not the only one interested in
doing this.

David

The capture equipment that have component video inputs are
quite expensive, so I have no actual experience with them. The
descriptions I've seen all indicate that these cards only do video.

The way MPEG is put together, there should be no problem
capturing the audio stream separately from the video. They are
separate data streams inside the MPEG. In practice, it can be a
little more problematic, but such high end equipment would be
sure to include the proper frame header data to enable an
accurate sync with the audio. It then becomes an issue for your
MPEG encoder.

I'll have to look into equipment to capture the digital audio.
It is something that I keep meaning to do for my setup also.
As long as the timing data inside the 5.1 digital signal is
maintained, it should Mux well in the Encoder. A survey of
the capabilities of various Sound Cards should provide some
answers. ( Google is your friend.)

Luck;
Ken