AVerMedia Video Capture Card as TV tuner?

I have an AVerMedia DVD EZMaker PCI card, and have been very pleased
with it. I have digitized vhs tapes, and connected my digital camera to
it and used it as a crude but effective video camera. I was wondering
if there was a way to connect my cable TV to its input port and utilize
it as TV viewer and capture device...som sort of tuner software would
have to be needed I suppose, as well as an adapter for the connection
itself. Or could I connect a VCR to its input and use it as the TV
source? Just wondering.

Dave

"David M" <no@nothere.com> wrote in message
> I have an AVerMedia DVD EZMaker PCI card, and have been very pleased
> with it. I have digitized vhs tapes, and connected my digital camera to
> it and used it as a crude but effective video camera. I was wondering
> if there was a way to connect my cable TV to its input port and utilize
> it as TV viewer and capture device...som sort of tuner software would
> have to be needed I suppose, as well as an adapter for the connection
> itself. Or could I connect a VCR to its input and use it as the TV
> source? Just wondering.
>
> Dave

You can use a VCR. This has no tuner, so you are otherwise out of luck.

"Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message

> "David M" <no@nothere.com> wrote in message
>> I have an AVerMedia DVD EZMaker PCI card, and have been very pleased
>> with it. I have digitized vhs tapes, and connected my digital camera to
>> it and used it as a crude but effective video camera. I was wondering
>> if there was a way to connect my cable TV to its input port and utilize
>> it as TV viewer and capture device...som sort of tuner software would
>> have to be needed I suppose, as well as an adapter for the connection
>> itself. Or could I connect a VCR to its input and use it as the TV
>> source? Just wondering.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> You can use a VCR. This has no tuner, so you are otherwise out of luck.

If you have a "Cable TV Box" that has A/V outputs and you
select what you watch by controlling the cable box, then you
can use that, also. If you have no cable box, or it only has RF
output; you could route it through your "Cable ready" VCR tuner.

Luck;
Ken

In article <111nm3sekhshd36@corp.supernews.com>, logos1@trip.net says...
> "David M" <no@nothere.com> wrote in message
> > I have an AVerMedia DVD EZMaker PCI card, and have been very pleased
> > with it. I have digitized vhs tapes, and connected my digital camera to
> > it and used it as a crude but effective video camera. I was wondering
> > if there was a way to connect my cable TV to its input port and utilize
> > it as TV viewer and capture device...som sort of tuner software would
> > have to be needed I suppose, as well as an adapter for the connection
> > itself. Or could I connect a VCR to its input and use it as the TV
> > source? Just wondering.
> >
> > Dave

You could run your cable through a VCR to use as a cable box and then
use a program along with an IR Blaster to control the VCR and change the
channels but after all that trouble and expense it would be cheaper to
get a PVR-150 or similar. If you just want to record the occasional
show you could use the VCRs timer to change the channel as long as you
have software that will start recording on the PCI card at a preset
time.
--
http://www.ramsays-online.com