Error Message in RA

I am trying to establish a Remote Connection with a friend, but it gives both
of us (doesn't matter who sends the invitation) an error message.

The message reads as follows:

Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the remote
host name could not be resolved. Please try again.

All I know from this message is that there is a problem with a computer's
name, I think. So, could someone explain how to fix this error.

PS.
We are both running XP Pro and have the software installed and working.

Thankyou.

"KB"
4 answers Last reply
More about error message

    Look at the bottom of this article:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/rmassist.mspx#XSLTsection131121120120

    Patrick Rouse
    Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
    http://www.workthin.com

    "KB"" <"KB <"KB"@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the
    > remote host name could not be resolved. Please try again.

    If the Novice PC (the person requesting assistance) is behind a NAT router,
    then:
    (a) the NAT router must support UPnP, and UPnP support must be enabled;
    (b) in XP, any firewall must be configured to allow inward (i) Remote
    Assistance traffic, and (ii) UPnP traffic;
    (c) in XP, the SSDP Discovery service must be running (the default, but some
    users mistakenly disable it).

    --
    Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    Well, that gave a small amount of information because it didn't really answer
    the problem that I had, but has anyone else had the same message as me and
    fixed the problem?

    I assume that the problem lies at my friends house in his home network.
    However, I am not certain. I have tried a fw things on my computer and still
    no fix. I tried to connect to another computer of mine in my house and it
    worked instanly with no problem. I didn't even change a setting, so I know
    that it isn't my computer.

    If anyone has a solution, please reply. Thankyou.

    "KB"

    If there is a hardware firewall on either end, you must open port 3389 to the
    computer you want to expose to internet Remote Assistance offerings.

    ""KB"" wrote:

    > Well, that gave a small amount of information because it didn't really answer
    > the problem that I had, but has anyone else had the same message as me and
    > fixed the problem?
    >
    > I assume that the problem lies at my friends house in his home network.
    > However, I am not certain. I have tried a fw things on my computer and still
    > no fix. I tried to connect to another computer of mine in my house and it
    > worked instanly with no problem. I didn't even change a setting, so I know
    > that it isn't my computer.
    >
    > If anyone has a solution, please reply. Thankyou.
    >
    > "KB"

Connection Error Message Windows XP