Error Message in RA

I am trying to establish a Remote Connection with a friend, but it gives both
of us (doesn't matter who sends the invitation) an error message.

The message reads as follows:

Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the remote
host name could not be resolved. Please try again.

All I know from this message is that there is a problem with a computer's
name, I think. So, could someone explain how to fix this error.

PS.
We are both running XP Pro and have the software installed and working.

Thankyou.

"KB"

Look at the bottom of this article:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/rmassist.mspx#XSLTsection131121120120

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://www.workthin.com

"KB"" <"KB <"KB"@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the
> remote host name could not be resolved. Please try again.

If the Novice PC (the person requesting assistance) is behind a NAT router,
then:
(a) the NAT router must support UPnP, and UPnP support must be enabled;
(b) in XP, any firewall must be configured to allow inward (i) Remote
Assistance traffic, and (ii) UPnP traffic;
(c) in XP, the SSDP Discovery service must be running (the default, but some
users mistakenly disable it).

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Well, that gave a small amount of information because it didn't really answer
the problem that I had, but has anyone else had the same message as me and
fixed the problem?

I assume that the problem lies at my friends house in his home network.
However, I am not certain. I have tried a fw things on my computer and still
no fix. I tried to connect to another computer of mine in my house and it
worked instanly with no problem. I didn't even change a setting, so I know
that it isn't my computer.

If anyone has a solution, please reply. Thankyou.

"KB"

If there is a hardware firewall on either end, you must open port 3389 to the
computer you want to expose to internet Remote Assistance offerings.