DB Dev new to handhelds; which OS is best for Access synch?

May 29, 2004 6:01:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

I will be working on a handheld capable db, probably using HanDBase,
that needs to synch with MS Access 2000-2002-2003. I am only now getting
any exposure to the entire realm of handhelds.

#1 Both Palm OS and Mobile Windows are thriving, right?

#2 Is either OS and app version going to be easier to keep synched with
Outlook/Access than the other? Mobile Windows would seem to be the knee-
jerk answer to this, but it wouldn't have to be true at all, since I
imagine that Palm OS has made it a high prirority to have good synch
with Outlook, and HanDBase claims to handle synch with Access with
either OS.

#3 Can't believe that MS has made this so non-transparent - but used
properly, is Mobile Windows the OS and Pocket PC more a term for the
"system" ie the hardware device + the OS (mobile windows)? I see such a
confusion of names for the OS even on the MS site.

Thanks
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 9:20:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

All pocketpc's are effectively the same functionally with respect to the
os and "syncing" so the choice is going to be on hardware... i.e.
scrolling controls, keyboard options, etc.

While you can "sync" databases, consider using a memory card to directly
transfer the databases using a card reader rather than using activesync.

First, activesync is slow.

Second, it syncs only to main memory which is limited by comparison to
storage card capacities.

Third... there are known issues with activesync/access "refreshes"
(dev's will have more info on this than I)

Think that the developer section is best place to post these questions
and avoid cross postings.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 1:30:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

OK, memory cards for synching sounds good.

Another question: does one build an app on a regular pc via an emulator?
I've heard them referred to but where do you get an emulator?

What about #3 "Can't believe that MS has made this so non-transparent -
but used properly, is Mobile Windows the OS and Pocket PC more a term
for the "system" ie the hardware device + the OS (mobile windows)? I see
such a confusion of names for the OS even on the MS site."

In article <#OBPpscREHA.1276@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Beverly Howard [Ms-
MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> says...
> All pocketpc's are effectively the same functionally with respect to the
> os and "syncing" so the choice is going to be on hardware... i.e.
> scrolling controls, keyboard options, etc.
>
> While you can "sync" databases, consider using a memory card to directly
> transfer the databases using a card reader rather than using activesync.
>
> First, activesync is slow.
>
> Second, it syncs only to main memory which is limited by comparison to
> storage card capacities.
>
> Third... there are known issues with activesync/access "refreshes"
> (dev's will have more info on this than I)
>
> Think that the developer section is best place to post these questions
> and avoid cross postings.

May 31, 2004 4:15:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

#3 is a bit confusing, but actually less than it used to be. WM2003 (Windows
Mobile) is the underlying Operating System. It is packaged on, and for,
various devices with specific flavors, such as the Pocket PC version, the
Smartphone version, the PocketPC Phone edition, etc. Each has their suite of
UI specifics and some hardware features and dependencies.

For the DB questions, I would go with Beverly's suggestion to take that to
the developer side. I don't think you will find HanDBase a good fit, if
Access compatibility is your primary focus. Last I checked, HandBase has a
proprietary format for the handheld and the desktop. The desktop version has
Access compatibility. So if you are looking to get data in an Access DB onto
the handheld, what you do is sync the Access DB to the desktop HandBase DB
and then the two HandBase products sync. Someone correct me if they have
changed this approach.

The direct Access capability on the PPC is extremely limited. There is an
ActiveSync conduit that converts .mdb stuff to .cdb (PPC) stuff. It limits
the conversion to tables only. No queries, forms, not even relationships,
transfer. All that must be done on the PPC with some third party product
that can read a .cdb. Todd Ogasawara has a nice piece on what will do that
at http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3358.
I'm not sure Beverly's suggestion to use a card reader will buy you much.
You will wind up with a .mdb on the card, and there is nothing in the PPC
world that will read that, much less allow any manipulation.

If you really want to get into DB development on a PPC I think you might
want to look into SQL Server CE, and there are links on Todd's blog to that.

The only real emulator available for PPCs is in The Visual Studio style
development environment, which you may actually be looking at for app
development. Again the developer forums are your best bet.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"kiln" <kiln@brick-like.com> wrote in message
> OK, memory cards for synching sounds good.
>
> Another question: does one build an app on a regular pc via an emulator?
> I've heard them referred to but where do you get an emulator?
>
> What about #3 "Can't believe that MS has made this so non-transparent -
> but used properly, is Mobile Windows the OS and Pocket PC more a term
> for the "system" ie the hardware device + the OS (mobile windows)? I see
> such a confusion of names for the OS even on the MS site."
>
> In article <#OBPpscREHA.1276@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Beverly Howard [Ms-
> MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> says...
> > All pocketpc's are effectively the same functionally with respect to the
> > os and "syncing" so the choice is going to be on hardware... i.e.
> > scrolling controls, keyboard options, etc.
> >
> > While you can "sync" databases, consider using a memory card to directly
> > transfer the databases using a card reader rather than using activesync.
> >
> > First, activesync is slow.
> >
> > Second, it syncs only to main memory which is limited by comparison to
> > storage card capacities.
> >
> > Third... there are known issues with activesync/access "refreshes"
> > (dev's will have more info on this than I)
> >
> > Think that the developer section is best place to post these questions
> > and avoid cross postings.
> >
> > Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Anonymous
May 31, 2004 7:51:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Thanks Sven those are very very helpful. I already have VS.net, the pro
version, a version which hopefully allows dev for Mobile Windows.

I will still check out HanDBase as it seems pretty affordable, and the
synch stuff might be workable. I will sure check out the SQL Server CE,
it is probably the closes match to my skillset.

And in the future yes I'll post to the dev ng, thanks to both of you for
responding to me about these issues.

In article <ePcwItzREHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
sejohannsen@hotmail.com says...

!