Pinnacle Studio 8 - using existing AVI file

Can't see how to do this. Is there a way?

I've got an existing AVI file (already imported from DV Camcorder)
which I want to edit in Studio.

All I can see is how to capture a new project...
7 answers Last reply
More about pinnacle studio existing file

    Hi

    Open edit and go to the folder that its in and click on fold to open
    click on the avi you will now be able to see it and then you can drag
    it to your time line. I am a Studio user also. I am running Studio 9 +
    now. and love it.

    Pat

    On 23 Feb 2005 04:30:12 -0800, "paulfoel" <BertieBigBollox@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Can't see how to do this. Is there a way?
    >
    >I've got an existing AVI file (already imported from DV Camcorder)
    >which I want to edit in Studio.
    >
    >All I can see is how to capture a new project...

    In the Edit mode, do you see the box with the name of the current file
    being edited in the upper left pane? To the right of that box, there
    are two folders; the first moves you up one folder from the current
    folder, the second (the rightmost one) will bring up a window from
    which you can navigate to the folder with the file you want to edit.
    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    patm wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Open edit and go to the folder that its in and click on fold to open
    > click on the avi you will now be able to see it and then you can drag
    > it to your time line. I am a Studio user also. I am running Studio 9 +
    > now. and love it.
    >
    > Pat

    Pat. Did you start out with Studio 8 and upgrade? If so how do you compare
    the two. Have you constructed and home made transitions? I am anxious to
    hear from other users and what they have been able to do with Studio.

    J.

    Yes I did start out with Studio 8..............I think you will find
    the added thing in 9+
    a must, u now have pip, croma key, 2 video time lines and so on. Look
    at Pinnacle
    web site to compare the two. Yes I have make a few transitions. Also
    you may want to
    check out Pinnacle's Discussion Forums and here is a web site with
    some free transitions
    http://declic.video.free.fr/HFXShare/hfxshare.htm#others
    these are to be used with 9 and 9+.

    Pat

    patm wrote:
    > Yes I did start out with Studio 8..............I think you will find
    > the added thing in 9+
    > a must, u now have pip, croma key, 2 video time lines and so on. Look
    > at Pinnacle
    > web site to compare the two. Yes I have make a few transitions. Also
    > you may want to
    > check out Pinnacle's Discussion Forums and here is a web site with
    > some free transitions
    > http://declic.video.free.fr/HFXShare/hfxshare.htm#others
    > these are to be used with 9 and 9+.
    >
    > Pat

    Are the old transitions compatible with the new Studio 9 package?

    J.

    Big Bill wrote:
    > On 23 Feb 2005 04:30:12 -0800, "paulfoel" <BertieBigBollox@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Can't see how to do this. Is there a way?
    > >
    > >I've got an existing AVI file (already imported from DV Camcorder)
    > >which I want to edit in Studio.
    > >
    > >All I can see is how to capture a new project...
    >
    > In the Edit mode, do you see the box with the name of the current
    file
    > being edited in the upper left pane? To the right of that box, there
    > are two folders; the first moves you up one folder from the current
    > folder, the second (the rightmost one) will bring up a window from
    > which you can navigate to the folder with the file you want to edit.
    > --
    > Bill Funk
    > Change "g" to "a"

    Ah. I see.... Got it now. It was defaulting to what I assume was some
    sort of demo file called 'Photoshoot'.

    Only problem is now I can't open my file - it gives me an error saying
    that the file cannnot be opened. Any ideas ? (BTW. Its a 12Gb AVI file
    which plays OK on Media player when I click on it).

    On 28 Feb 2005 03:33:08 -0800, "paulfoel" <BertieBigBollox@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Big Bill wrote:
    >> On 23 Feb 2005 04:30:12 -0800, "paulfoel" <BertieBigBollox@gmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Can't see how to do this. Is there a way?
    >> >
    >> >I've got an existing AVI file (already imported from DV Camcorder)
    >> >which I want to edit in Studio.
    >> >
    >> >All I can see is how to capture a new project...
    >>
    >> In the Edit mode, do you see the box with the name of the current
    >file
    >> being edited in the upper left pane? To the right of that box, there
    >> are two folders; the first moves you up one folder from the current
    >> folder, the second (the rightmost one) will bring up a window from
    >> which you can navigate to the folder with the file you want to edit.
    >> --
    >> Bill Funk
    >> Change "g" to "a"
    >
    >Ah. I see.... Got it now. It was defaulting to what I assume was some
    >sort of demo file called 'Photoshoot'.
    >
    >Only problem is now I can't open my file - it gives me an error saying
    >that the file cannnot be opened. Any ideas ? (BTW. Its a 12Gb AVI file
    >which plays OK on Media player when I click on it).

    Where did the AVI file come from?
    I'm having the problem that Studio 9+ won't open a lot of AVI and MPEG
    files it didn't import or generate. Not a major problem to me, as
    that's mostly what I do, but it can get frustrating whn I get anpther
    file it won't open.
    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"