Please recommend the best VCR to make VHS video copies <<

I want to make real good copies of VHS videos and I want the best brand
and model VCR I can find. Please recommend one to me. Please do NOT
tell me to get a DVD burner. I am not interested in that right now.
Thanks.....daveknoll727@yahoo.com

daveknoll727 wrote:
> I want to make real good copies of VHS videos and I want the best
brand
> and model VCR I can find. Please recommend one to me. Please do NOT
> tell me to get a DVD burner. I am not interested in that right now.
> Thanks.....daveknoll727@yahoo.com

Errr..... why don't you get a DVD burner? No seriously! I can't
imagine why anyone in the year 2005 would waste the time and energy
making VHS tapes. Step into your local electronics store, and you can
scarcely find any VCRs for sale these days. Many manufacturers have
given up making them. Blank DVD's can be as low as 30cents (US)....

You don't live in Afghanistan do you? I'm not sure they've got VCRs
yet, but maybe in 20-30 years they will have....

"daveknoll727" wrote ...
>I want to make real good copies of VHS videos and I want the best
> brand and model VCR I can find. Please recommend one to me.

Are you prepared to spend $18,000? If not, you should state
your practical budget so we know what you are REALLY looking
for!

"daveknoll727" <daveknoll727@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I want to make real good copies of VHS videos and I want the best brand
> and model VCR I can find. Please recommend one to me. Please do NOT
> tell me to get a DVD burner. I am not interested in that right now.
> Thanks.....daveknoll727@yahoo.com

It would have to be one of the older ones, preferrably one of the following
Sonys:
SLV-575, SLV-676.

Stay away from SVHS machines, as they have narrower head gaps that are
inferior for recording at standard resolution.

Also stay away from any machine that advertises high quality in LP mode, as
it will also have narrower head gaps.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"daveknoll727" <daveknoll727@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I want to make real good copies of VHS videos and I want the best brand
>and model VCR I can find. Please recommend one to me. Please do NOT
>tell me to get a DVD burner. I am not interested in that right now.
>Thanks.....daveknoll727@yahoo.com

If you manage to get a VCR that supports S-VHS tapes then the
electronics components are likely to be better quality.
These days there is not a lot of choice as there is a move towards DVD
Recorders. Phillips have stopped making VCR's
Most 6 head VCR's are of good quality. I prefer Panasonic as it gives
a sharp clear picture.
I think there may be professional VCR machines available for purchase
that are using for copying tapes, but they are more expensive.
If the tapes are commercial movies you might run into trouble with
macrovision that stops copywrite tapes from being copied by giving you
a bad copy.

Regards Brian

Let me make this clear.... I want to copy amateur videos that I have
shot myself NOT copyrighted videos. So I was just wondering the best
VCR to make copies of these so I can sell them. Thanks!
daveknoll727@yahoo.com

footman727 wrote ...
> Let me make this clear.... I want to copy amateur videos that I have
> shot myself NOT copyrighted videos. So I was just wondering
> the best VCR to make copies of these so I can sell them. Thanks!

There is currently a Panasonic AG-1980 for sale right here in this
newsgroup by Jerry Rosenberg. I use three of the 1980s for small
scale VHS dubbing. They are the right choice for my budget and
requirements. Of course since you have never revealed your
budget (after repeated requests), we have no idea whether this
what you were intending to spend.

Jimmy

<footman727@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Let me make this clear.... I want to copy amateur videos that I have
> shot myself NOT copyrighted videos. So I was just wondering the best
> VCR to make copies of these so I can sell them. Thanks!
> daveknoll727@yahoo.com

Ok, I WILL ask. Won't there be more people wanting to purchase a DVD than a
VHS tape? Won't the distribution and overall production be far more
economical? Wouldn't you at least want to offer a choice?

J.

Richard Crowley wrote:
> footman727 wrote ...
> > Let me make this clear.... I want to copy amateur videos that I
have
> > shot myself NOT copyrighted videos. So I was just wondering
> > the best VCR to make copies of these so I can sell them. Thanks!
>
> There is currently a Panasonic AG-1980 for sale right here in this
> newsgroup by Jerry Rosenberg. I use three of the 1980s for small
> scale VHS dubbing. They are the right choice for my budget and
> requirements. Of course since you have never revealed your
> budget (after repeated requests), we have no idea whether this
> what you were intending to spend.

I want to buy a VCR in the $150-300 price range that will copy videos
that I have shot myself. I have made copies on a $50 VCR that I have
and they really aren't that bad. The copies I make with this one are as
good as some videos I have purchased. But I want to get a better one
and was just wondering about good brands and models. Yes I do want to
buy a DVD burner eventually so I can offer both videos and DVD's. But
right now I am jusy interested in an economical way of producing VHS
copies. I am not mass-producing them. I will probably make a few
hundred copies to start out with. If my venture proves to be worthwile
I will later look for a more expensive way to produse copies. Thanks,
Dave

On a sunny day (26 Feb 2005 07:44:35 -0800) it happened "daveknoll727"
<1109432675.624289.149680@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>:

>I want to buy a VCR in the $150-300 price range that will copy videos
>that I have shot myself. I have made copies on a $50 VCR that I have
>and they really aren't that bad. The copies I make with this one are as
>good as some videos I have purchased. But I want to get a better one
>and was just wondering about good brands and models. Yes I do want to
>buy a DVD burner eventually so I can offer both videos and DVD's. But
>right now I am jusy interested in an economical way of producing VHS
>copies. I am not mass-producing them. I will probably make a few
>hundred copies to start out with. If my venture proves to be worthwile
>I will later look for a more expensive way to produse copies. Thanks,
>Dave
One simple way around your problems would be to buy a MPEG2 digitizer PCI card,
and first read your VHS to disk.
Make sure you have a mpeg2 compatible video out too.
Then make as many copies from the PC with that same VHS.
And if you then later buy a DVD burner, you are all set.
Same price range, better quality, as 100x playback on a VHS will NOT improve
quality. This is how I did it, you can then edit and for example add
subtitles too.
This advice costs 100$ though, to be payed in golden bits.

"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
SNIP

>> But right now I am jusy interested in an economical way of producing VHS
>>copies. I am not mass-producing them. I will probably make a few
>>hundred copies to start out with.

At a "few hundred" it would be worthwhile to check with some duplicators
that specialize in short runs. You may find that you can have the videos
duplicated, labels applied, and cassettes inserted into sleeves for about
the same cost as purchasing the blank tapes, label stock, and sleeves.
Google "Short run VHS Duplication" and ask for some quotes.

Steve King