  • Video
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 23, 2005 12:40:55 PM

I've a small AVI file. It plays at 30 fps, but I noticed it's
slightly jerky when playing back.

I opened it in virtualdub and looked at it frame by frame,
and there are a lot of duplicates. I looked at the frames
individually, and found only 13 unique frames in the
30 actual frames (1 second)

I don't have the original source of this AVI
(it's an old music video), but I was wndering what
was the best way to create an mpg VCD.
Seems to me that the best result it to set the
speed at 29.97 and encode it as-is.

Dave

More about : deal limited frames

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 4:48:24 PM

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:40:55 -0800, da_test
<davexnet02NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>I've a small AVI file. It plays at 30 fps, but I noticed it's
>slightly jerky when playing back.
>
>I opened it in virtualdub and looked at it frame by frame,
>and there are a lot of duplicates. I looked at the frames
>individually, and found only 13 unique frames in the
>30 actual frames (1 second)

May be it's originally a 13 fps material that has been made into a 30
fps.

Videoscope (freeware) allows you to know about duplicate frames.
http://www.dynapel.com/products/vs_overview.shtml

And MotionPerfect (also from Dynapel, and not freeware) is
sophisticated software to change the frames per second.

>I don't have the original source of this AVI
>(it's an old music video), but I was wndering what
>was the best way to create an mpg VCD.
>Seems to me that the best result it to set the
>speed at 29.97 and encode it as-is.

Perhaps you can try 23,976 fps (NTSC film).
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 4:48:25 PM

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:48:24 +0100, Bariloche
<bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:40:55 -0800, da_test
><davexnet02NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I've a small AVI file. It plays at 30 fps, but I noticed it's
>>slightly jerky when playing back.
>>
>>I opened it in virtualdub and looked at it frame by frame,
>>and there are a lot of duplicates. I looked at the frames
>>individually, and found only 13 unique frames in the
>>30 actual frames (1 second)
>
>May be it's originally a 13 fps material that has been made into a 30
>fps.
>
>Videoscope (freeware) allows you to know about duplicate frames.
>http://www.dynapel.com/products/vs_overview.shtml
>
>And MotionPerfect (also from Dynapel, and not freeware) is
>sophisticated software to change the frames per second.
>
>>I don't have the original source of this AVI
>>(it's an old music video), but I was wndering what
>>was the best way to create an mpg VCD.
>>Seems to me that the best result it to set the
>>speed at 29.97 and encode it as-is.
>
>Perhaps you can try 23,976 fps (NTSC film).
Thanks for the info about Dynapel.
I'll check it out.

It's strange. It occurred to me also that perhaps it was sourced
from 13 fps material, but what's unusual is that the AVI is
640*480 and good quality (except for the fps !)

Dave
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 2:01:51 PM

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:03:51 -0800, da_test
<davexnet02NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:48:24 +0100, Bariloche
><bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote:
>

>>And MotionPerfect (also from Dynapel, and not freeware) is
>>sophisticated software to change the frames per second.
>>

>Thanks for the info about Dynapel.
>I'll check it out.

I downloaded the trial, it installed OK.
But when I tried it on anumber of source AVI files,
the product kept crashing in file
mediamend.ax, one of motionperfects dshow filters.

I got absolutely nowhere, so I uninstalled.
I can contact the web site in case there's a
KB or suport forum.
Any other similar products?
Dave
!