CPU - RAM - Video $$$ ratio???

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

My focus will be on running Microsoft Flight Sim 2004 as well as doing
some home video editing with a product like Premiere Elements.

I'm going to be going the Athlon 64 route, DDR400 and I'm not sure of
the video card. Right now video looks to be a 6800GT (though I'm not
totally convinced I need 16 pipelines for a flight sim, or home movie
editing)

What I was wondering was if there was a best way to allocate the limited
funds in the best manner possible.

So there you have it... CPU - RAM - Video...

FWIW I'm thinking of spending about $1,100.

Thanks in advance folks. I've already learned a lot in my lurking <grin>
--
- Rog

http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html

NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM"
from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

That set-up sounds good. video editing takes up quite a bit of RAM and I
would get a SCUSI as I have heard they perform a little faster then IDE. FS,
if you want lots of traffic, good weather and amazing scenery takes up alot
of power, so you wouldn't be over doing your self with that set-up. I have
an AMD64 3400+ 512DDR400 but I could do with an extra 512 of RAM and my
Geforce4 Ti4200 128DDR does show its age a bit with AA AF but I still get
really good performance, hits my 20-25FPS mark nearly all the time
--
www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.
"Roger Buchanan" <rogerb@wpcusrgrp.NOSPAMorg> wrote in message
> My focus will be on running Microsoft Flight Sim 2004 as well as doing
> some home video editing with a product like Premiere Elements.
>
> I'm going to be going the Athlon 64 route, DDR400 and I'm not sure of
> the video card. Right now video looks to be a 6800GT (though I'm not
> totally convinced I need 16 pipelines for a flight sim, or home movie
> editing)
>
> What I was wondering was if there was a best way to allocate the limited
> funds in the best manner possible.
>
> So there you have it... CPU - RAM - Video...
>
> FWIW I'm thinking of spending about $1,100.
>
> Thanks in advance folks. I've already learned a lot in my lurking <grin>
> --
> - Rog
>
> http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html
>
> NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM"
> from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.

Scott

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Don't worry about SCSI for video editing. SATA drives do a great job (for
less $$) and plenty of motherboards support SATA now. I'd get two drives.
One for the OS/apps and one strictly for video capture/rendering. :)

"Chris Harries" <chrisflyer@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> That set-up sounds good. video editing takes up quite a bit of RAM and I
> would get a SCUSI as I have heard they perform a little faster then IDE.
> FS, if you want lots of traffic, good weather and amazing scenery takes up
> alot of power, so you wouldn't be over doing your self with that set-up. I
> have an AMD64 3400+ 512DDR400 but I could do with an extra 512 of RAM and
> my Geforce4 Ti4200 128DDR does show its age a bit with AA AF but I still
> get really good performance, hits my 20-25FPS mark nearly all the time
> --
> www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
> www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.
> I apologise now for any spelling mistakes or bad grammar
> --
> "Roger Buchanan" <rogerb@wpcusrgrp.NOSPAMorg> wrote in message
>> My focus will be on running Microsoft Flight Sim 2004 as well as doing
>> some home video editing with a product like Premiere Elements.
>>
>> I'm going to be going the Athlon 64 route, DDR400 and I'm not sure of
>> the video card. Right now video looks to be a 6800GT (though I'm not
>> totally convinced I need 16 pipelines for a flight sim, or home movie
>> editing)
>>
>> What I was wondering was if there was a best way to allocate the limited
>> funds in the best manner possible.
>>
>> So there you have it... CPU - RAM - Video...
>>
>> FWIW I'm thinking of spending about $1,100.
>>
>> Thanks in advance folks. I've already learned a lot in my lurking <grin>
>> --
>> - Rog
>>
>> http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html
>>
>> NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM"
>> from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Roger Buchanan" <rogerb@wpcusrgrp.NOSPAMorg> wrote in message
> My focus will be on running Microsoft Flight Sim 2004 as well as doing
> some home video editing with a product like Premiere Elements.
>
> I'm going to be going the Athlon 64 route, DDR400 and I'm not sure of
> the video card. Right now video looks to be a 6800GT (though I'm not
> totally convinced I need 16 pipelines for a flight sim, or home movie
> editing)
>
> What I was wondering was if there was a best way to allocate the limited
> funds in the best manner possible.
>
> So there you have it... CPU - RAM - Video...
>
> FWIW I'm thinking of spending about $1,100.
>
> Thanks in advance folks. I've already learned a lot in my lurking <grin>
> --
> - Rog

The resources required by Flight Simulator are quite different from those
required for video editing.

Games are far more dependent on the speed of the 3D functions of the video
card than the power of the CPU. One computer journalist discovered that old
computers refitted with high-end video cards appear to function almost as
well as the latest processors with similar video. I run FS 2004 on a dual
1.2 gHz Athlon MP setup with an Nvidia 5900, and obtain very high frame
rates even with all the advanced options. (FS2004 performance is measured in
terms of the sustained frame rate).

Most video apps use none of the 3D functions of a video card. However, they
are critically dependent on the speed of execution of the SSE instructions
sets (single instruction multiple operand), which is a function of CPU
speed.

Flight Simulator is minimally dependent on disk I/O, while video editing is
critically dependent.

Since the critical requirements of editing and gaming are so different, only
you can correctly prioritize your needs.

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

are yes maybe it was SATA that I was thinking about and not SCUSI

--
"Scott" <shawshank73@BOOgmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't worry about SCSI for video editing. SATA drives do a great job (for
> less $$) and plenty of motherboards support SATA now. I'd get two drives.
> One for the OS/apps and one strictly for video capture/rendering. :)
>

> "Chris Harries" <chrisflyer@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> That set-up sounds good. video editing takes up quite a bit of RAM and I
>> would get a SCUSI as I have heard they perform a little faster then IDE.
>> FS, if you want lots of traffic, good weather and amazing scenery takes
>> up alot of power, so you wouldn't be over doing your self with that
>> set-up. I have an AMD64 3400+ 512DDR400 but I could do with an extra 512
>> of RAM and my Geforce4 Ti4200 128DDR does show its age a bit with AA AF
>> but I still get really good performance, hits my 20-25FPS mark nearly all
>> the time
>> --
>> www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
>> www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.
>> I apologise now for any spelling mistakes or bad grammar
>> --
>> "Roger Buchanan" <rogerb@wpcusrgrp.NOSPAMorg> wrote in message
>>> My focus will be on running Microsoft Flight Sim 2004 as well as doing
>>> some home video editing with a product like Premiere Elements.
>>>
>>> I'm going to be going the Athlon 64 route, DDR400 and I'm not sure of
>>> the video card. Right now video looks to be a 6800GT (though I'm not
>>> totally convinced I need 16 pipelines for a flight sim, or home movie
>>> editing)
>>>
>>> What I was wondering was if there was a best way to allocate the limited
>>> funds in the best manner possible.
>>>
>>> So there you have it... CPU - RAM - Video...
>>>
>>> FWIW I'm thinking of spending about $1,100.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance folks. I've already learned a lot in my lurking <grin>
>>> --
>>> - Rog
>>>
>>> http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html
>>>
>>> NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM"
>>> from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Please don't assume good hardware will give you great results in video
editing.
IMHO, hardware requirements are way over-hyped for consumer level
editing. I've captured, edited plenty of DV footage using vegas and
burned to DVDs on nothing more than a laptop with 1.6GHz P-4 512MB with
4200 RPM HDD! Frankly, it is quite amusing when someone asks if SCSI
RAID is required for editing home videos.

Robert Morein wrote:
> The resources required by Flight Simulator are quite different from those
> required for video editing.

Oh. I was under the impression that FS was into heavily using the CPU,
as oppossed to the more graphics intensive games like first person
shooters and the like. Thanks for the correction.

> Most video apps use none of the 3D functions of a video card. However, they
> are critically dependent on the speed of execution of the SSE instructions
> sets (single instruction multiple operand), which is a function of CPU
> speed.

For the CPU I'm thinking of the AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (939) and for RAM
I'm likely going with 2Gb of DDR400.

> Flight Simulator is minimally dependent on disk I/O, while video editing is
> critically dependent.

The disk side of things I've got covered pretty well, I think.

> Since the critical requirements of editing and gaming are so different, only
> you can correctly prioritize your needs.

Yep. I just thought that the combo of FS and Video work might affect the
allocation of dollars. I'd say that both uses will come out about even
in terms of my interest.

Thanks for your reply, and thanks to everyone else who took the time to
help enlighten me.