The host system I am trying to call into is running XP Pro with a netopia
router. The gateway for it is 69.216.249.190. Assignable static IP's range
69.216.249.185-189. (This was an SBC DSL install.)

I can ping the gateway IP number from a remote computer. What's my IP shows
the host computer having the gateway number (69.216.249.190.)

In Netopia's configuration I created a pinhole for port 3389 (external
start, external end, and internal port) with the internal IP being
69.216.249.190 (the gateway).

I can't connect with the remote connection timing out. Am I doing something
wrong using the gateway IP number instead of one of the assignable IP's?
(Remember, I can't ping any of the assignable IP numbers, only the
gateway. - Also the gateway is the IP number for the host I come up with
when connected to internet.)

Thanks.

Reply to message from "rob p" <nospam*wlb@stans.net> (Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:04:02) about "No
Response":

> The host system I am trying to call into is running XP Pro with a netopia router. The
> gateway for it is 69.216.249.190. Assignable static IP's range
> 69.216.249.185-189. (This was an SBC DSL install.)

> I can ping the gateway IP number from a remote computer. What's my IP shows the host
> computer having the gateway number (69.216.249.190.)

> In Netopia's configuration I created a pinhole for port 3389 (external start, external
> end, and internal port) with the internal IP being
> 69.216.249.190 (the gateway).

> I can't connect with the remote connection timing out. Am I doing something wrong using
> the gateway IP number instead of one of the assignable IP's? (Remember, I can't ping
> any of the assignable IP numbers, only the gateway. - Also the gateway is the IP number
> for the host I come up with when connected to internet.)

> Thanks.

You need to forward/open TCP Port 3389 to the private LAN IP address of the PC you want to
access/control with Remote Desktop, not the gateway address. Call using the public IP of
the router.

------
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC