Want to access a XP Home PC remotely, what are my options?

I would like to access a Windows XP Home PC remotely from other XP Home PC on
the internal network and possibly over the internet. Is Remote Desktop only
available for XP Pro PC's? What are my options? Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about want access home remotely options

    You got it!

    Upgrade to XP Pro or the latest version of PC Anywhere:
    http://www.symantec.com/pcanywhere/Consumer/index.html

    "koegels.net" wrote:

    > I would like to access a Windows XP Home PC remotely from other XP Home PC on
    > the internal network and possibly over the internet. Is Remote Desktop only
    > available for XP Pro PC's? What are my options? Thanks.

    In addition to "BAR's" advice, a *FREE* option is UltraVNC with its encryption plug-in or NetMeeting
    Remote Desktop Sharing (built-in to XP Pro and XP Home).

    Get the UltraVNC server, client and encryption plug-in from...

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

    VNC firewall information...

    http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#firewall

    For help with RDS look at this KB article...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;233175

    To start NetMeeting on an XP box go to "Start | Run" and typ­­e conf at the command line... To use
    NetMeeting RDS you need to open TCP Port 1503.

    In all cases, ie. VNC or RDS, call using the public IP of the firewall/NAT/router...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 04:33:59 -0600, MVP\ wrote:

    >In addition to "BAR's" advice, a *FREE* option is UltraVNC with its encryption
    >plug-in or NetMeeting
    >Remote Desktop Sharing (built-in to XP Pro and XP Home).
    >
    >Get the UltraVNC server, client and encryption plug-in from...
    >
    >http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    >http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

    I have been struggling with this same problem without success. I have tried both
    pcAnywhere and UltraVNC but for some reason, can't seem to get my home PC
    configured.

    It uses a DSL connection and sits behind a Linksys router. I've installed the
    software, opened all the appropriate ports on the router, registered with
    dyndns.org to connect through a domain name, all without results.

    The only thing I got to work was the GoToMyPC service, but I have been strongly
    discouraged from using that service at my place of employment to remote back to
    my home computer. pcAnywhere was unofficially recommended to me as a suitable
    solution but I'll be darned if I can get it set up.

    Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    --
    To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"

    From the home PC that you want to connect to using either PC Anywhere or UltraVNC, go to this site
    and run the test. This should tell you if port forwarding through the router is working. UltraVNC
    uses TCP Port 5900 for example...

    http://www.canyouseeme.org/

    Note that UltraVNC or PC Anywhere should be running when you run the respective test...

    If it does not work then check the router port forwarding configuration for whatever program your
    trying to use.

    What Linksys router are you using? Are you running the latest firmware in the router?

    --

    "H.B. Elkins" <hbelkins@mis.net.restrictorplate> wrote in message news:cuaipc0ivv@drn.newsguy.com...
    > On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 04:33:59 -0600, MVP\ wrote:
    >>
    >>In addition to "BAR's" advice, a *FREE* option is UltraVNC with its encryption
    >>plug-in or NetMeeting
    >>Remote Desktop Sharing (built-in to XP Pro and XP Home).
    >>
    >>Get the UltraVNC server, client and encryption plug-in from...
    >>
    >>http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    >>http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/
    >
    > I have been struggling with this same problem without success. I have tried both
    > pcAnywhere and UltraVNC but for some reason, can't seem to get my home PC
    > configured.
    >
    > It uses a DSL connection and sits behind a Linksys router. I've installed the
    > software, opened all the appropriate ports on the router, registered with
    > dyndns.org to connect through a domain name, all without results.
    >
    > The only thing I got to work was the GoToMyPC service, but I have been strongly
    > discouraged from using that service at my place of employment to remote back to
    > my home computer. pcAnywhere was unofficially recommended to me as a suitable
    > solution but I'll be darned if I can get it set up.
    >
    > Assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    >

    > --
    > To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"

Remote Desktop Microsoft Windows XP