using remote desktop

I want to connect to another computer using Remote Desktop. I have two
computers running xp pro , one that I need to connect to over the internet.
But i cant seem to figure out how to connect to it since it is behind a
router. I know its public IP address and its network address, but how do i
use that to connect to it. I can use remote connection but since i cant be in
both places at once that is not an option.

My question is when you try to log into another computer using Remote
desktop do you just enter in the machines IP address, and if so how do you
tell it what computer behind the router you want to connect to.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
1 answer Last reply
More about using remote desktop

    webnetjogger <webnetjogger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > I want to connect to another computer using Remote Desktop. I have two
    > computers running xp pro , one that I need to connect to over the
    > internet. But i cant seem to figure out how to connect to it since it
    > is behind a router. I know its public IP address and its network
    > address, but how do i use that to connect to it.

    You need to configure the router to forward TCP port 3389 to the LAN IP
    address of the XP Pro PC that you wish to connect to. For this to work
    reliably, it is best that you assign that XP Pro PC a static IP address on
    the LAN within the IP sub-net of the router, but outside the router's DHCP
    allocation pool. (This is to guarantee that (a) the LAN IP address of the
    XP Pro PC never changes, and (b) there is no duplication between statically
    assigned IP addresses and ones dynamically issued by the router).

    You then place Remote Desktop calls to the public WAN IP address of your
    router.

    --
    Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Remote Desktop Connection Computers Windows XP