S-video to Composite Converter

All the video cards with TV out I have seen lately only have S-video
connectors. Is there a cheap cable that converts S-video to composite
video? My TV doesn't have an S-video input.

Alternatively, is there a reasonably priced AGP video card that has a
composite video out connector? Thanks.
9 answers Last reply
More about video composite converter

    Thanks for the information. Next stop, Radio Shack.

    BrianEWilliams <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > All the video cards with TV out I have seen lately only have S-video
    > connectors. Is there a cheap cable that converts S-video to composite
    > video? My TV doesn't have an S-video input.

    Radio Shack sells an adaptor that does that, for about $10 I think.

    Look at the connection though -- are there 4 pin-holes, or more? If there
    are more, then there should be a dongle or something to extract a composite
    signal directly from the extra pins.

    In article <1109251389.481884.302830@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    sorry_no_email@yahoo.com says...
    > Subject: S-video to Composite Converter
    > From: "BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com>
    > Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
    >
    > All the video cards with TV out I have seen lately only have S-video
    > connectors. Is there a cheap cable that converts S-video to composite
    > video? My TV doesn't have an S-video input.
    >
    > Alternatively, is there a reasonably priced AGP video card that has a
    > composite video out connector? Thanks.

    A lot of the ATI cards also come with a composite connector but the s-
    video to composite adapter is only a few bucks at radio shack.
    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    BrianEWilliams wrote:

    > All the video cards with TV out I have seen lately only have S-video
    > connectors. Is there a cheap cable that converts S-video to composite
    > video? My TV doesn't have an S-video input.
    >
    > Alternatively, is there a reasonably priced AGP video card that has a
    > composite video out connector? Thanks.

    The do make a cable to convert S-video to composite. My new computer
    came with one. There was also one included with my Canopus AVDC 100.
    You should not have much trouble finding one.

    In article <1109284732.924013.211420@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    sorry_no_email@yahoo.com says...
    > Subject: Re: S-video to Composite Converter
    > From: "BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com>
    > Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
    >
    > $22
    >
    > http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15-1238

    I think I pair $14 Canadian for the same one, did the US finally put a
    300% tarriff on Chinese goods? :)
    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    On 2/25/2005, Chris Phillipo managed to type:
    > In article <1109284732.924013.211420@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    > sorry_no_email@yahoo.com says...
    >> Subject: Re: S-video to Composite Converter
    >> From: "BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com>
    >> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
    >>
    >> $22
    >>
    >> http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15-1238
    >>

    > I think I pair $14 Canadian for the same one, did the US finally put a
    > 300% tarriff on Chinese goods? :)

    Radio Shack. They used to sell Adapt-a-plugs - to adapt their wall
    warts to different size jacks - for $2 US; now they are $5...

    Admittedly this is a very small sample of their catalog :-)

    Gino

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
    letters617blochg3251

    I ended up getting the 128 MB ATI Radeon 9200 Video Card which has both
    s-video and composite out. Made more sense than spending $20 on a
    cable adapter.

    Here is a link to the deal I got from Circuit City:

    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ATI-Radeon-9200-Video-Card-100-436006-/sem/rpsm/oid/73860/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/5hv9t

    The one complaint I have about the card is that I don't seem to be able
    to use something like Nvidia's "dual view". I temporarily used a 64 MB
    eVGA GeForce™ MX 4000 Video Card, which had the dual view feature.
    With dual view, I could have a full screen TV picture on my TV and a
    windows desktop on my monitor. I returned this card because the TV
    video wasn't that great. Maybe that's what you get with dual view, or
    maybe I should have tried the 128 MB version, but then I would have to
    get the cable adapter since it only has s-video out.

    Anyway, thanks for the help on this issue.

    A quick update. After posting the above and then reading a recent
    thread on this newsgroup, I realized I just had to check a box in the
    desktop settings to extend my destop to the TV. I am now happily
    watching my PVR software running on my TV while I am typing this
    message on my computer monitor. I am one happy camper now.

Tuner Cards TV Graphics Cards Video Converter Graphics