Need advice on flawless connection via Remote Desktop

I am frustrated with my attempt of using RDP through a VPN with D-link vpn
routers DI-824VUP. I've had nothing but problems and guessing, even D-link
3rd level techs gave up two days ago. I can establish connections to my two
remote sites but it all depends from where I connect and which computer I
use. It is an endless guessing as to which MTU's and what not. And from my
desired location I can never connect.
So I decided to discard these vpn routers and pursue a direct and straight
remote connection without the hassle of the VPN. Is there a reasonably priced
consumer router that can work using RDP and that does not have problems?
Please send me yr recommendations.
3 answers Last reply
More about need advice flawless connection remote desktop

    I use Remote Desktop with a Linksys BEFSR41 4-Port Broadband router or a Buffalo WBR-G54 4-Port
    Broadband router/802.11b/g Wireless Access Point. Both work equally as well by simply
    forwarding/opening TCP Port 3389 to the private LAN IP of my XP Pro desktop...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Cuzurro" <Cuzurro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am frustrated with my attempt of using RDP through a VPN with D-link vpn
    > routers DI-824VUP. I've had nothing but problems and guessing, even D-link
    > 3rd level techs gave up two days ago. I can establish connections to my two
    > remote sites but it all depends from where I connect and which computer I
    > use. It is an endless guessing as to which MTU's and what not. And from my
    > desired location I can never connect.
    > So I decided to discard these vpn routers and pursue a direct and straight
    > remote connection without the hassle of the VPN. Is there a reasonably priced
    > consumer router that can work using RDP and that does not have problems?
    > Please send me yr recommendations.

    I forgot to add that is a Version 1 BEFSR41 router...

    --

    "Sooner Al (MVP)" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >I use Remote Desktop with a Linksys BEFSR41 4-Port Broadband router or a Buffalo WBR-G54 4-Port
    >Broadband router/802.11b/g Wireless Access Point. Both work equally as well by simply
    >forwarding/opening TCP Port 3389 to the private LAN IP of my XP Pro desktop...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Cuzurro" <Cuzurro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I am frustrated with my attempt of using RDP through a VPN with D-link vpn
    >> routers DI-824VUP. I've had nothing but problems and guessing, even D-link
    >> 3rd level techs gave up two days ago. I can establish connections to my two
    >> remote sites but it all depends from where I connect and which computer I
    >> use. It is an endless guessing as to which MTU's and what not. And from my
    >> desired location I can never connect.
    >> So I decided to discard these vpn routers and pursue a direct and straight
    >> remote connection without the hassle of the VPN. Is there a reasonably priced
    >> consumer router that can work using RDP and that does not have problems?
    >> Please send me yr recommendations.

    Thank you. I'll try this one.

    Regards,

    Cuzurro

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > I forgot to add that is a Version 1 BEFSR41 router...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Sooner Al (MVP)" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > >I use Remote Desktop with a Linksys BEFSR41 4-Port Broadband router or a Buffalo WBR-G54 4-Port
    > >Broadband router/802.11b/g Wireless Access Point. Both work equally as well by simply
    > >forwarding/opening TCP Port 3389 to the private LAN IP of my XP Pro desktop...
    > >
    > > --
    > > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >
    > > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    > > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
    > >
    > > "Cuzurro" <Cuzurro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>I am frustrated with my attempt of using RDP through a VPN with D-link vpn
    > >> routers DI-824VUP. I've had nothing but problems and guessing, even D-link
    > >> 3rd level techs gave up two days ago. I can establish connections to my two
    > >> remote sites but it all depends from where I connect and which computer I
    > >> use. It is an endless guessing as to which MTU's and what not. And from my
    > >> desired location I can never connect.
    > >> So I decided to discard these vpn routers and pursue a direct and straight
    > >> remote connection without the hassle of the VPN. Is there a reasonably priced
    > >> consumer router that can work using RDP and that does not have problems?
    > >> Please send me yr recommendations.

Remote Desktop Routers Connection VPN Windows XP