Need advice on flawless connection via Remote Desktop

February 3, 2005 8:11:04 AM

I am frustrated with my attempt of using RDP through a VPN with D-link vpn
routers DI-824VUP. I've had nothing but problems and guessing, even D-link
3rd level techs gave up two days ago. I can establish connections to my two
remote sites but it all depends from where I connect and which computer I
use. It is an endless guessing as to which MTU's and what not. And from my
desired location I can never connect.
So I decided to discard these vpn routers and pursue a direct and straight
remote connection without the hassle of the VPN. Is there a reasonably priced
consumer router that can work using RDP and that does not have problems?
Please send me yr recommendations.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:39:52 AM

I use Remote Desktop with a Linksys BEFSR41 4-Port Broadband router or a Buffalo WBR-G54 4-Port
Broadband router/802.11b/g Wireless Access Point. Both work equally as well by simply
forwarding/opening TCP Port 3389 to the private LAN IP of my XP Pro desktop...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Cuzurro" <Cuzurro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am frustrated with my attempt of using RDP through a VPN with D-link vpn
> routers DI-824VUP. I've had nothing but problems and guessing, even D-link
> 3rd level techs gave up two days ago. I can establish connections to my two
> remote sites but it all depends from where I connect and which computer I
> use. It is an endless guessing as to which MTU's and what not. And from my
> desired location I can never connect.
> So I decided to discard these vpn routers and pursue a direct and straight
> remote connection without the hassle of the VPN. Is there a reasonably priced
> consumer router that can work using RDP and that does not have problems?
> Please send me yr recommendations.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:52:43 AM

I forgot to add that is a Version 1 BEFSR41 router...

--

"Sooner Al (MVP)" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>I use Remote Desktop with a Linksys BEFSR41 4-Port Broadband router or a Buffalo WBR-G54 4-Port
>Broadband router/802.11b/g Wireless Access Point. Both work equally as well by simply
>forwarding/opening TCP Port 3389 to the private LAN IP of my XP Pro desktop...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Cuzurro" <Cuzurro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am frustrated with my attempt of using RDP through a VPN with D-link vpn
>> routers DI-824VUP. I've had nothing but problems and guessing, even D-link
>> 3rd level techs gave up two days ago. I can establish connections to my two
>> remote sites but it all depends from where I connect and which computer I
>> use. It is an endless guessing as to which MTU's and what not. And from my
>> desired location I can never connect.
>> So I decided to discard these vpn routers and pursue a direct and straight
>> remote connection without the hassle of the VPN. Is there a reasonably priced
>> consumer router that can work using RDP and that does not have problems?
>> Please send me yr recommendations.

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:39:02 PM

Thank you. I'll try this one.