Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus 9.3.0 => 9.3.5

Ron

After successfully installing the product from disk, I followed links to
this update, but am confronted with a registration dialog that responds that
the serial number is invalid. (I know the serial number is valid, because
it was just used to install the software.) So far nothing but an unhelpful
automated response from tech support.

Would appreciate advice from a voice of experience. Thx, Ron

cory

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

You might try this: http://pixie.pinnaclesys.com/cgi-bin/st8serialfix.pl
That's the serial number generator when they had this problem with Studio 7
and 8.

Cory

"Ron" <Harvested@comcast.net> wrote in message
> After successfully installing the product from disk, I followed links to
> this update, but am confronted with a registration dialog that responds
that
> the serial number is invalid. (I know the serial number is valid, because
> it was just used to install the software.) So far nothing but an
unhelpful
> automated response from tech support.
>
> Would appreciate advice from a voice of experience. Thx, Ron

Ron

Thanks for the suggestion. After a few hours, I simply tried again and it
worked. I guess their server has to sync up or something.

My next problem is that while the app appears to import, and parse into
scenes, mpg files that I previously created by capturing with Nero or Roxio
products, or by exporting from Nero, I can't get any of those scenes to
simply play in the editing interface. Can it be that Studio 9 will only
play clips that it captures itself? Nah, must be I'm too early on the
learning curve. (It does, however, play the mpgs that were installed with
it.)

Thx again, Ron

"Cory" <cory@nospam.com> wrote in message
> You might try this: http://pixie.pinnaclesys.com/cgi-bin/st8serialfix.pl
> That's the serial number generator when they had this problem with Studio
> 7
> and 8.
>
> Cory
>
> "Ron" <Harvested@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> After successfully installing the product from disk, I followed links to
>> this update, but am confronted with a registration dialog that responds
> that
>> the serial number is invalid. (I know the serial number is valid,
>> because
>> it was just used to install the software.) So far nothing but an
> unhelpful
>> automated response from tech support.
>>
>> Would appreciate advice from a voice of experience. Thx, Ron

cory

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

So it's creating scenes, huh? One way to work around that is to hit "Cancel"
when you're first importing the clips so it doesn't split your imported
clips into scenes. However once they're already split, what you need to do
is close Studio, go to where your mpg file is located in Explorer, and
delete the .scn file that Studio creates. Then go back to Studio, re-import
the clip, hit "Cancel" while it's detecting the scenes, and it will stop and
be good to go.

Does this fix what you're talking about?

> So it's creating scenes, huh?

Yup.

> One way to work around that is to hit "Cancel"
> when you're first importing the clips so it doesn't split your imported
> clips into scenes. However once they're already split, what you need to do
> is close Studio, go to where your mpg file is located in Explorer, and
> delete the .scn file that Studio creates. Then go back to Studio,
> re-import
> the clip, hit "Cancel" while it's detecting the scenes, and it will stop
> and
> be good to go.

I just tried that and, yes, the (~2.5 minute) mpg appears in the upper left
area as a single take, and I can slide it onto the storyboard. I can also
move the sliders in the upper left work area while it is selected, and see
the start and endpoints reflected both there and in the upper right player.
But....

> Does this fix what you're talking about?

Unfortunately, no. When I hit the play arrow in the upper right player,
that button assumes the "pause" symbol but nothing plays. If I had placed
the cursor in the middle of the clip, it reverts to the start of it and
stays there and there's no advance of the time in the player. (It stays at
0:00:00:00) I can move the now time in the timeline view, even with the
drag controls or up/down arrows in the player, and the cursor does move on
the timeline, but no image appears in the player. I can also drag-adjust
the start and end points of the clip in the (upper left) clip properties
window, and when I do that, the image does show in the player, but only so
long as I have the left mouse button depressed. All this behavior holds
regardless of the "lock" setting to the right of the timeline.

I hope there's a simple explanation for this.... :(

Thanks for the response. -Ron

> Cory
>
> "Ron" <Harvested@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the suggestion. After a few hours, I simply tried again and
>> it
>> worked. I guess their server has to sync up or something.
>>
>> My next problem is that while the app appears to import, and parse into
>> scenes, mpg files that I previously created by capturing with Nero or
> Roxio
>> products, or by exporting from Nero, I can't get any of those scenes to
>> simply play in the editing interface. Can it be that Studio 9 will only
>> play clips that it captures itself? Nah, must be I'm too early on the
>> learning curve. (It does, however, play the mpgs that were installed
>> with
>> it.)

cory

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

At this point, I'd say you need to post to the Pinnacle Studio webboard if
you haven't done that already.
http://webboard.pinnaclesys.com/read_forums.asp?WebboardID=1&SectionID=227&lng=1
They're much more enthusiastic about buggy software than the group here and
you're most likely to find the help you need over there...
Good luck.

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:58:51 -0500, "Ron" <Harvested@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestion. After a few hours, I simply tried again and it
>worked. I guess their server has to sync up or something.
>
>My next problem is that while the app appears to import, and parse into
>scenes, mpg files that I previously created by capturing with Nero or Roxio
>products, or by exporting from Nero, I can't get any of those scenes to
>simply play in the editing interface. Can it be that Studio 9 will only
>play clips that it captures itself? Nah, must be I'm too early on the
>learning curve. (It does, however, play the mpgs that were installed with
>it.)

I've come up against this same thing with my Strudio 9+.
I've come to the comclusion that not all MPEGs are created the same.
I also tried Premiere Elements, and had different problems playing the
same MPG file; it would play in the preview pane, but very
erratically. It would skip, jump, and slo-mo.

I asked about it here, and got one person trying to help, but no joy.
Such is life. :-(

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Ron

Yup, just checked in there and immediately found a post reporting the same
issue from a few days ago. So far the only advice was to re-render the mpg
to DV-AVI type 2. I'll search more thoroughly. Since my last post here, I
did find some AVIs on my hard drive, and they do play in Studio 9+,
including one I'd made myself (albeit poor quality). The mpgs that have
caused me this difficulty play in Windows Media Player (which can't
re-render as far as I can tell). Seems to me the average user would
therefore expect them to play in Studio 9+ , so I'd have thought there'd at
least be something in the help file about different flavors of mpgs.
Nothing I've found.

Meantime, I have confirmed I can pile up my jpgs and the mpgs that came with
9+ on the timeline, use transitions, titles, zoom/pan, chromakey, etc., All
no problem. If I add one of the problem mpgs, the cursor jumps to the start
of that clip and nothing in the sequence plays. If I delete it, everything
returns to normal.

Anyway, I still have the Roxio OEM package installed, so hoping to re-render
that way to avoid having to recapture my tapes. Gotta do some reading
first - make sure this won't degrade them too far, etc.

Thanks for the support, Ron

> At this point, I'd say you need to post to the Pinnacle Studio webboard if
> you haven't done that already.
> http://webboard.pinnaclesys.com/read_forums.asp?WebboardID=1&SectionID=227&lng=1
> They're much more enthusiastic about buggy software than the group here
> and
> you're most likely to find the help you need over there...
> Good luck.
>
> Cory
>
> "Ron" <Harvested@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Cory" <cory@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> > So it's creating scenes, huh?
>>
>> Yup.
>>
>> > One way to work around that is to hit "Cancel"
>> > when you're first importing the clips so it doesn't split your imported
>> > clips into scenes. However once they're already split, what you need to
> do
>> > is close Studio, go to where your mpg file is located in Explorer, and
>> > delete the .scn file that Studio creates. Then go back to Studio,
>> > re-import
>> > the clip, hit "Cancel" while it's detecting the scenes, and it will
>> > stop
>> > and
>> > be good to go.
>>
>> I just tried that and, yes, the (~2.5 minute) mpg appears in the upper
> left
>> area as a single take, and I can slide it onto the storyboard. I can
>> also
>> move the sliders in the upper left work area while it is selected, and
>> see
>> the start and endpoints reflected both there and in the upper right
> player.
>> But....
>>
>> > Does this fix what you're talking about?
>>
>> Unfortunately, no. When I hit the play arrow in the upper right player,
>> that button assumes the "pause" symbol but nothing plays. If I had
>> placed
>> the cursor in the middle of the clip, it reverts to the start of it and
>> stays there and there's no advance of the time in the player. (It stays
> at
>> 0:00:00:00) I can move the now time in the timeline view, even with the
>> drag controls or up/down arrows in the player, and the cursor does move
>> on
>> the timeline, but no image appears in the player. I can also drag-adjust
>> the start and end points of the clip in the (upper left) clip properties
>> window, and when I do that, the image does show in the player, but only
>> so
>> long as I have the left mouse button depressed. All this behavior holds
>> regardless of the "lock" setting to the right of the timeline.
>>
>> I hope there's a simple explanation for this.... :(
>>
>> Thanks for the response. -Ron

Susan

"Ron" <Harvested@comcast.net> wrote:

>Yup, just checked in there and immediately found a post reporting the same
>issue from a few days ago. So far the only advice was to re-render the mpg
>to DV-AVI type 2. I'll search more thoroughly. Since my last post here, I
>did find some AVIs on my hard drive, and they do play in Studio 9+,
>including one I'd made myself (albeit poor quality). The mpgs that have
>caused me this difficulty play in Windows Media Player (which can't
>re-render as far as I can tell).

WMP is a player, not an editor and it will generally play (even if not
very well) any file for which it can find a playing CODEC. Studio is
an editor, it will only play a file if it has a CODEC that will both
read and render the file. Otherwise, you would end up being able to
edit a file but not render it.

MPG editing is an afterthought in most NLE packages and is usually
much more limited than DV or MJPEG editing.

> Seems to me the average user would
>therefore expect them to play in Studio 9+ , so I'd have thought there'd at
>least be something in the help file about different flavors of mpgs.
>Nothing I've found.
>
>Meantime, I have confirmed I can pile up my jpgs and the mpgs that came with
>9+ on the timeline, use transitions, titles, zoom/pan, chromakey, etc., All
>no problem. If I add one of the problem mpgs, the cursor jumps to the start
>of that clip and nothing in the sequence plays. If I delete it, everything
>returns to normal.
>
>Anyway, I still have the Roxio OEM package installed, so hoping to re-render
>that way to avoid having to recapture my tapes. Gotta do some reading
>first - make sure this won't degrade them too far, etc.
>
>Thanks for the support, Ron

It sounds as if your MPG file has AC3 or MPEG-Layer1 or 3 audio. In
general, Studio will load such files, but will not play them. Studio
wants MPG files with MPGE-Layer2 or LPCM audio.

There are about a thousand different video/audio combinations possible
in MPG2. Many editing packages (including Studio 9) are very
particular about what audio stream(s) they can handle, and this is
usually the problem when an otherwise good MPG file will not play or
render.

Therefore, when using MPG as the capture format, it is usually best to
use the same package to both capture and edit. Studio will definitely
not play an MPG file with AC3 sound, especially if that file was
ripped from a DVD. The next version of Studio may or may not play an
MPG file with AC3 audio since that is one of the issues holding up
that version.

If these are MPG files that you have captured and you still have the
original tapes, you would probably be best off just re-capturing some
MPG video with Studio and see if you can edit with it.

Is there some reason you are capturing in MPG2 if you are serious
about editing? It's okay to capture in MPG2 if you are capturing VHS
and only want to make a few cuts (such as removing commercials) but
MPG editing is still extremely difficult for most editing packages and
you usually have far fewer problems if you capture in DV or MJPEG and
then render to MPG after editing. BUT, you can capture and edit in
MPG, it is just not as stable and it is difficult not ending up having
to re-render, which lowers your final product.

Hope this helps,

Susan

Ron

Thank you, yes this certainly helps. From bits I've seen here and there,
I'd begun to suspect the audio component was the issue. I'm a rank novice,
and had probably accepted a default in Nero Vision Express when I captured
those files (from my Sony camcorder). No particular rationale behind it.
I just want to make movies and slide shows from family DV tapes and jpegs,
and eventually convert old family VHS archives to DVD. But I encountered
trouble in Nero burning those files to DVD ( - I did manage to make SVCDs
from them - ), which is why I started researching a dedicated editing
package and ended up with Studio.

Yes, I still have the tapes, and I guess I will recapture into Studio. But
first I want to do some reading. I understand what a codec is and that
there are all these formats floating around, but I need to learn more about
the distinctions between them.

So far, I've yet to find as cogent a perspective in the Studio help file as
you just provided in a few short paragraphs. Thanks again! -Ron