Anyone here try updating the firmware to their 750 Olympus..

Im sending it in since thats what they instructed me to do. If I have
to pay anything Im never buying another Oly product again.

I read the instructions. Used a fresh set of batteries. Got the
firmware and rechecked everything and hooked it up to the USB where it
was recognized. Then I executed the firmware and supposedly after a
minute its supposed to finish and your LCD screen comes on , on your
camera and thats it. I waited for 10 then 15 miniutes. Nothing. Ive
updated my Toshiba firmware 3 times without any problems.

I finally got sick of waiting and plugged it out and nothing. My
camera is dead now. Nothing wrong that I can see with my PC or camera
while it was updating except thats its now dead of course. I called
tech support and they say they havent heard of anyone else having this
problem unless of course they mess it up by interrupting the flash
from the PC or camera such as the power dying.

I hope I dont end up with a paperweight or a $100 bill which would be
ridiculous.
3 answers Last reply
More about anyone updating firmware olympus

    Replacing firmware yourself is a potentially deadly scenario. If
    *anything* goes wrong during the upgrade, even a tiny power surge or
    loss, or maybe a slightly flaky connection, your device simply ends up
    brain dead. It should *only* be done if you are prepared to take the
    chance, and you actually *need* something that the upgrade offers, or
    it is a necessary bugfix*.

    When you downloaded the upgrade, you would have been informed of all
    that, and very likely signed away your rights. So if the upgarde was
    only for 'convenience', you probably have no (legal) right to complain.
    And Olympus are well within their rights to charge you for the fix.

    *However.. if this was a bug fix, or an upgrade that you *had* to do,
    so that you could use the camera in the way that it was advertised to
    you, you may have an argument. That would be how I would approach
    Olympus.

    Good luck! Tell Olympus that their generosity (or otherwise!) will be
    reported on Internet forums... Fwiw, I had a minor warranty
    'discussion' with Olympus (Australia) about a couple of hot pixels on
    my C8080's screen, and they gave in fairly easily - I hope they will be
    as kind to you...

    On 18 Jul 2005 17:06:56 -0700, chrlz@go.com wrote:

    >Replacing firmware yourself is a potentially deadly scenario. If
    >*anything* goes wrong during the upgrade, even a tiny power surge or
    >loss, or maybe a slightly flaky connection, your device simply ends up
    >brain dead. It should *only* be done if you are prepared to take the
    >chance, and you actually *need* something that the upgrade offers, or
    >it is a necessary bugfix*.
    >
    >When you downloaded the upgrade, you would have been informed of all
    >that, and very likely signed away your rights. So if the upgarde was
    >only for 'convenience', you probably have no (legal) right to complain.
    > And Olympus are well within their rights to charge you for the fix.
    >
    >*However.. if this was a bug fix, or an upgrade that you *had* to do,
    >so that you could use the camera in the way that it was advertised to
    >you, you may have an argument. That would be how I would approach
    >Olympus.

    Yeah thats what they usually say when you do your motherboard and many
    people warn you abou tthat but usually if you do things OK then the
    result is OK. Its impossible to prove there wasnt a problem --- that
    the battery didnt run out of power or your PC didnt suddenly switch
    off due to power failure during the upgrade but strangely enough none
    of those things did happen and its dead.

    I really cant explain it , a micro interruption I couldnt detect?
    Seems kind of unlikely bit who knows. See theres the problem I dont
    know if itheres a defect somewhere in the build of the camera or the
    firmware etc. Obviously its not widespread or I would have heard about
    it. But when you follow the instructions and your couple hundred buck
    device becomes a paperweight --- it just doesnt seem to be right.

    I have had a problem one time out of zillions of flashes but the MB
    maker quickly remedied that by letting me send in the bios chip and
    they sent me another one just for shipping costs. Yes I understand the
    dangers just like with boards its spelled out - if the power is
    interrupted then tough luck or you flash the wrong firmware though
    this one has a safeguard. You cant I think flash the wrong firmware it
    checks. So that means a defect. Ill send it in and see what they say.
    It was also amazingly right within days of the end of the 1 year
    warranty.

Cameras Firmware Olympus Peripherals