XP to Windows 7 upgrade

Dave Ruppel

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I'm building my first PC to replace my current PC which is running XP Pro.The new PC will have Intel Core i5 650, 500 GB Hard drive with 8GB 2x 4 memory on a H57 mobo made for Intel audio/graphics. I'm building this PC to watch Blueray 3D movies thru my home theater, listen to music, ediit photos, make DVD's............. basically home entertainment.

I have cloned the hard drive from my XP to my new hard drive. I was hoping to run the new PC with the cloned hard drive.

Will this work? I read somewhere that XP doesn't recognize dual channel memory. Is that true?

Would I be better off upgrading to Windows 7? If so any tips on how to make that easier?

Solution

No, the cloning method will not work. You will need to install a clean...

COLGeek

Cybernaut

No, the cloning method will not work. You will need to install a clean installation on the new config. Win 7 is the way to go for the things you want to do.

BTW, XP certainly does support dual channel memory....

Good luck!

Solution
Your cloned Windows XP disk will not work on your new computer if it did Microsoft would not make any money. Windows XP will work on dual channel memory as this is down to the motherboards chipset not Windows. You cannot upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 you will have to do a clean install. If you buy the professional version of Windows 7 you can download and install a very good virtual version of Windows XP.

parabola

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008

...what pjmelect wrote ;-]

The reason your cloned drive won't work is because of driver and chipset differences between your two computers. You'll likely get a few bluescreen errors. Of course, if you're planning on running both computers, then your plan won't work anyway.