vpn to either xp pro or 2000 pro desktop

sorry for the newbie question:
Using a dlink 804hv at the office with dsl. I connect to my lan at the
office via vpn but have no idea what to do from there.. seems like when I
connect with vpn, there is a pretty like connection saying i'm connected on
the machine at work.. great but how can I access a desktop from that point..
I used vnc at one time and works nice across a same lan but how do I access a
desktop on that machine remotly if it is running vnc server... and is that
secure as long as I'm connection with the vpn? Perferred to use vnc because
connection to the 2000 pro computer at the office would be disired.. the
program I need to access in loaded on that machine (on the 2000 pro). Alt.
I'm assuming I can connect easier and smoother to an xp pro workstation at
the office through the vpn and use remote desktop but it would be slower,
probably a lot slower to get to the 2000 pro machine.
Any idea's for the best and most secure way to do this with the equipment I
have? The machine at home is XP pro.
Thank you

kewlest_chi_guy wrote:
> sorry for the newbie question:
> Using a dlink 804hv at the office with dsl. I connect to my lan at the
> office via vpn but have no idea what to do from there..

Whatever you like!

> seems like
> when I connect with vpn, there is a pretty like connection saying i'm
> connected on the machine at work.. great but how can I access a
> desktop from that point..

If you've enabled remote desktop on a WinXP Pro workstation, run the RD
client on your workstation and enter the LAN IP of the remote workstation as
the hostname (unless you have WINS set up/use LMHOSTS etc). Or use VNC,
whatever.

> I used vnc at one time and works nice
> across a same lan but how do I access a desktop on that machine
> remotly if it is running vnc server...

Same way. Launch the VNC viewer from your home PC and then enter the
hostname/IP of the remote machine as the host you want to connect to.

> and is that secure as long as
> I'm connection with the vpn?

Yes, although security depends somewhat on the type of VPN. I'd use IPSec.

> Perferred to use vnc because connection
> to the 2000 pro computer at the office would be disired..

Yes, you need VNC or similar as there's no native RD/TS in Win2k Pro.

> the program
> I need to access in loaded on that machine (on the 2000 pro). Alt.
> I'm assuming I can connect easier and smoother to an xp pro
> workstation at the office through the vpn and use remote desktop but
> it would be slower, probably a lot slower to get to the 2000 pro
> machine.

RD is not slower - but if you need to get to a 2000 PC you have to run VNC
on it or something similar. Or do you mean, bypass VPN, access an XP Pro
workstation over the Internet via RD, and then from the XP Pro session
launch VNC? I wouldn't do that. Can you install the program you want to
access on the XP Pro box in the office and just use VPN-->RD to that box
alone?

> Any idea's for the best and most secure way to do this with the
> equipment I have? The machine at home is XP pro.

That won't matter.
> Thank you

"Thanks Lanwench"

how can I access a desktop from that point..
I think the first problem lies in not being able to see any of the
drives/machines outside each network.. within each network I have access to
everything I need.. I dont know if this sounds newbie to you but when when I
try to view any shared drives or machines while connected to vpn.. Doesn't
happen.. again nothing is interupted on each individual lan.

> If you've enabled remote desktop on a WinXP Pro workstation, run the RD
client on your workstation and enter the LAN IP of the remote workstation as
the hostname (unless you have WINS set up/use LMHOSTS etc). Or use VNC,
whatever.

My sister is a lot less technical then I am (and she needs to get in too), I
think it would be easier to have one way to get to the desktops we need
access. The main program is on the 2000 machine and runs the fastest locally
on that machine which would be obvious verses going through her workstation.
There is quickbooks on her machine (xp pro) that she may use occationally and
I can have her log into her machine with the same vnc viewer over the vpn..
thinking this would be suitable unless vnc uses alot of resources sitting in
the tray waiting for a connection. If so, then I can look into RD I suppose
to her machine.

how do I access a desktop on that machine remotly if it is running vnc
server...
>Same way. Launch the VNC viewer from your home PC and then enter the hostname/IP of the remote machine as the host you want to connect to.

Getting timed out so far.. Do I need to have any other protocols installed
in the vpn besides TCP/IP? Like IPX.. I wouldn't think so but I can't see the
problem yet.

Is that secure as long as I'm connected with the vpn?
> Yes, although security depends somewhat on the type of VPN. I'd use IPSec.

Right now, I guess I was taking the easy way out using PPTP. Can you tell me
is it difficult to use IPSec.. I was looking it within the router and seems
like a lot to learn before it will work. true or no?

>do you mean, bypass VPN, access an XP Pro workstation over the Internet via RD, and then from the XP Pro session launch VNC? I wouldn't do that.

No, sorry that isn't how I meant it to come out : )

>Can you install the program you want to access on the XP Pro box in the office and just use VPN-->RD to that box alone?

The program installed on the 2000 pro machine is also installed on her WS
(well, just most of the files needed to help it run faster over a network
anyway).. and wouldnt mind trying that if I can just ping or see the
network.. I don't mind trying RD to see if it is too less practical being
much slower then loging straight to the 2000 box (where the host program is
actually running from).. Sometimes I get impatient using this program over
the office network because it is so huge.. was actually thinking of
converting to a gigabit lan because of it.. but it's ok for now.

Any idea's for the best and most secure way to do this with the equipment I
have? The machine at home is XP pro.
>that won't matter.

I failed to mention my sister has a laptop also with HOME installed.. will I
have to install PRO on the laptop also or does that matter?
>that won't matter.

Thank You

kewlest_chi_guy wrote:
> "Thanks Lanwench"
>
> how can I access a desktop from that point..
> I think the first problem lies in not being able to see any of the
> drives/machines outside each network.. within each network I have
> access to everything I need.. I dont know if this sounds newbie to
> you but when when I try to view any shared drives or machines while
> connected to vpn.. Doesn't happen.. again nothing is interupted on
> each individual lan.

Not sure what you mean by "see". If you have a VPN connection, you should be
able to ping a remote computer by its IP address....and if you use WINS you
might even be able to ping by name. LMHOSTS is another option, but will
require that the remote computers have static IPs or DHCP reservations -
anything that doesn't change.

>> If you've enabled remote desktop on a WinXP Pro workstation, run the
>> RD
> client on your workstation and enter the LAN IP of the remote
> workstation as the hostname (unless you have WINS set up/use LMHOSTS
> etc). Or use VNC, whatever.
>
> My sister is a lot less technical then I am (and she needs to get in
> too), I think it would be easier to have one way to get to the
> desktops we need access. The main program is on the 2000 machine and
> runs the fastest locally on that machine which would be obvious
> verses going through her workstation. There is quickbooks on her
> machine (xp pro) that she may use occationally and I can have her log
> into her machine with the same vnc viewer over the vpn.. thinking
> this would be suitable unless vnc uses alot of resources sitting in
> the tray waiting for a connection. If so, then I can look into RD I
> suppose to her machine.

Either VNC to the Win2k Pro machine and use it, or RD to the XP Pro machine
directly and install what she needs on there. It's much easier that way. If
the XP box is slow, add memory - that's probably what it wants - and/or do a
defrag on it to see if that helps.

> how do I access a desktop on that machine remotly if it is running vnc
> server...
>> Same way. Launch the VNC viewer from your home PC and then enter the
>> hostname/IP of the remote machine as the host you want to connect
>> to.
>
> Getting timed out so far.. Do I need to have any other protocols
> installed in the vpn besides TCP/IP? Like IPX.. I wouldn't think so
> but I can't see the problem yet.

No - only TCP/IP should be needed. Again, can you ping the host computer by
its IP address?

> Is that secure as long as I'm connected with the vpn?
>> Yes, although security depends somewhat on the type of VPN. I'd use
>> IPSec.
>
> Right now, I guess I was taking the easy way out using PPTP. Can you
> tell me is it difficult to use IPSec.. I was looking it within the
> router and seems like a lot to learn before it will work. true or no?

I wouldn't think so. What router do you have? I use IPSec VPN with Sonicwall
firewalls as the endpoint a lot and it works quite well - some Netgears,
etc., have the same features (and use the same VPN client software).

>> do you mean, bypass VPN, access an XP Pro workstation over the
>> Internet via RD, and then from the XP Pro session launch VNC? I
>> wouldn't do that.
>
> No, sorry that isn't how I meant it to come out : )
>
>> Can you install the program you want to access on the XP Pro box in
>> the office and just use VPN-->RD to that box alone?
>
> The program installed on the 2000 pro machine is also installed on
> her WS (well, just most of the files needed to help it run faster
> over a network anyway).. and wouldnt mind trying that if I can just
> ping or see the network.. I don't mind trying RD to see if it is too
> less practical being much slower then loging straight to the 2000 box
> (where the host program is actually running from).. Sometimes I get
> impatient using this program over the office network because it is so
> huge.. was actually thinking of converting to a gigabit lan because
> of it.. but it's ok for now.
>
> Any idea's for the best and most secure way to do this with the
> equipment I have? The machine at home is XP pro.
>> that won't matter.
>
> I failed to mention my sister has a laptop also with HOME installed..
> will I have to install PRO on the laptop also or does that matter?
>> that won't matter.
>
> Thank You

> > how can I access a desktop from that point..
> > I think the first problem lies in not being able to see any of the
> > drives/machines outside each network..
> Not sure what you mean by "see". If you have a VPN connection, you should be
> able to ping a remote computer by its IP address....and if you use WINS you
> might even be able to ping by name. LMHOSTS is another option, but will
> require that the remote computers have static IPs or DHCP reservations -
> anything that doesn't change.
--- I thought if I connect sucessfully, I would be able to map shared drives
and access files on those drives that way, at least I would like to run vnc
at that point and launch viewer to the 2000 box with vnc server running (I
can access with vnc fine unencripted untill I connect over vpn)... then I
could access everything that way. I can set these machines up as static
except I was using the router to filter 3 mac address on the network from
internet access.. Of course there is other ways I can use for that..
No, I cannot ping the server machine 192.168.0.100 while connected to the
vpn at this point.

> > how do I access a desktop on that machine remotly if it is running vnc
> > server...
> >> Same way. Launch the VNC viewer from your home PC and then enter the
> >> hostname/IP of the remote machine as the host you want to connect
> >> to.
----Thats just it.. It just times out.. cannot connect to the vnc server
(again, I can connect to without using vpn.. but thats defeating the purpose)

> No - only TCP/IP should be needed. Again, can you ping the host computer by
> its IP address?
--- Understood, only tcp/ip No, I cannot ping anything on the remote network.

------ DLink DI-804HV

----Can she do vnc over vpn with XP Home after I get this all worked out?

kewlest_chi_guy wrote:
>>> how can I access a desktop from that point..
>>> I think the first problem lies in not being able to see any of the
>>> drives/machines outside each network..
>> Not sure what you mean by "see". If you have a VPN connection, you
>> should be able to ping a remote computer by its IP address....and if
>> you use WINS you might even be able to ping by name. LMHOSTS is
>> another option, but will require that the remote computers have
>> static IPs or DHCP reservations - anything that doesn't change.

> --- I thought if I connect sucessfully, I would be able to map shared
> drives and access files on those drives that way,

Yes, you can, if you have an LMHOSTS file configured properly (and static
IPs on the host computers).

> at least I would
> like to run vnc at that point and launch viewer to the 2000 box with
> vnc server running (

If you can ping the host by name, you should be able to use VNC.

> I can access with vnc fine unencripted untill I
> connect over vpn)... then I could access everything that way. I can
> set these machines up as static except I was using the router to
> filter 3 mac address on the network from internet access.. Of course
> there is other ways I can use for that..
> No, I cannot ping the server machine 192.168.0.100 while connected to
> the vpn at this point.

There's your problem right there. Something is funky in your setup.

>>> how do I access a desktop on that machine remotly if it is running
>>> vnc server...
> ----Thats just it.. It just times out.. cannot connect to the vnc
> server (again, I can connect to without using vpn.. but thats
> defeating the purpose)
>
>> No - only TCP/IP should be needed. Again, can you ping the host
>> computer by its IP address?

> --- Understood, only tcp/ip No, I cannot ping anything on the remote
> network.

>>> Right now, I guess I was taking the easy way out using PPTP. Can you
>>> tell me is it difficult to use IPSec.. I was looking it within the
>>> router and seems like a lot to learn before it will work. true or
>>> no?
>>
>> I wouldn't think so. What router do you have?
> ------ DLink DI-804HV

There are lots of sites that will help with VPN. One is here:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/VPN_help.htm

>>> I failed to mention my sister has a laptop also with HOME
>>> installed.. will I have to install PRO on the laptop also or does
>>> that matter?
> ----Can she do vnc over vpn with XP Home after I get this all worked
> out?

Sure.