1 computer - 2 monitors

situation:

have two computers - 1 for editing 1 for net/office. each has monitor, but i
would like to be able to switch (simply - no cable plugging!!!) the 'net'
monitor over to the editing one when needed. i know there's various forms of
'kvm's', but all i want is to simply switch monitor alone. i tried with an
old mechanical switch (dos days 640x480), but the ghosting, etc., is totally
unacceptable. obviously need something eletronic.

any suggestions please?

leslie
12 answers Last reply
More about computer monitors

    "ushere" <kaywand@REMoVEaBUSebigpond.com> wrote in message news:o7CTd.175107$K7.88125@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
    > situation:
    >
    > have two computers - 1 for editing 1 for net/office. each has monitor, but i
    > would like to be able to switch (simply - no cable plugging!!!) the 'net'
    > monitor over to the editing one when needed. i know there's various forms of
    > 'kvm's', but all i want is to simply switch monitor alone. i tried with an
    > old mechanical switch (dos days 640x480), but the ghosting, etc., is totally
    > unacceptable. obviously need something eletronic.
    >
    > any suggestions please?

    Does either one of your monitors have dual inputs? That's the
    easiest solution.

    right here

    http://www.cablesnmor.com/video-switch-box.html

    In article <o7CTd.175107$K7.88125@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
    kaywand@REMoVEaBUSebigpond.com says...
    > Subject: 1 computer - 2 monitors
    > From: "ushere" <kaywand@REMoVEaBUSebigpond.com>
    > Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
    >
    > situation:
    >
    > have two computers - 1 for editing 1 for net/office. each has monitor, but i
    > would like to be able to switch (simply - no cable plugging!!!) the 'net'
    > monitor over to the editing one when needed. i know there's various forms of
    > 'kvm's', but all i want is to simply switch monitor alone. i tried with an
    > old mechanical switch (dos days 640x480), but the ghosting, etc., is totally
    > unacceptable. obviously need something eletronic.
    >
    > any suggestions please?
    >
    > leslie

    KVM really is the best way unless there is some reason you need to have
    separate keyboards/mice. Even then you can use it just for the monitor
    but you'll have to press the button on the KVM since obviously the
    keyboard hotkey won't work. I have a couple of Trendnet TK-205i KVMs
    that work really well at 1024x768 85hz. As long as it has a manual
    switch on it it really doesn't matter what one you buy.
    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    "Greg Coulter" <nospam@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > "ushere" <kaywand@REMoVEaBUSebigpond.com> wrote in message
    >> situation:
    >>
    >> have two computers - 1 for editing 1 for net/office. each has monitor,
    >> but i
    >> would like to be able to switch (simply - no cable plugging!!!) the 'net'
    >> monitor over to the editing one when needed. i know there's various forms
    >> of
    >> 'kvm's', but all i want is to simply switch monitor alone. i tried with
    >> an
    >> old mechanical switch (dos days 640x480), but the ghosting, etc., is
    >> totally
    >> unacceptable. obviously need something eletronic.
    >>
    >> any suggestions please?
    >
    > Does either one of your monitors have dual inputs? That's the
    > easiest solution.

    do you mean dvi / vga? or vga / svideo?

    thanks leslie

    "ushere" <kaywand@REMoVEaBUSebigpond.com> wrote in message news:nXWTd.176368$K7.134050@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

    > "Greg Coulter" <nospam@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > "ushere" <kaywand@REMoVEaBUSebigpond.com> wrote in message
    > >> situation:
    > >>
    > >> have two computers - 1 for editing 1 for net/office. each has monitor,
    > >> but i
    > >> would like to be able to switch (simply - no cable plugging!!!) the 'net'
    > >> monitor over to the editing one when needed. i know there's various forms
    > >> of
    > >> 'kvm's', but all i want is to simply switch monitor alone. i tried with
    > >> an
    > >> old mechanical switch (dos days 640x480), but the ghosting, etc., is
    > >> totally
    > >> unacceptable. obviously need something eletronic.
    > >>
    > >> any suggestions please?
    > >
    > > Does either one of your monitors have dual inputs? That's the
    > > easiest solution.
    > >

    > do you mean dvi / vga? or vga / svideo?

    I mean a monitor that supports two different input sources: either
    two vga ports, or one vga port and a set of BNC connectors for
    the second source.

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:22:28 GMT, "ushere"
    <kaywand@REMoVEaBUSebigpond.com> wrote:

    >have two computers - 1 for editing 1 for net/office. each has monitor, but i
    >would like to be able to switch (simply - no cable plugging!!!) the 'net'
    >monitor over to the editing one when needed. i know there's various forms of
    >'kvm's', but all i want is to simply switch monitor alone. i tried with an
    >old mechanical switch (dos days 640x480), but the ghosting, etc., is totally
    >unacceptable. obviously need something eletronic.

    The simple answer may be cable plugging. The next most complex a
    switch box. There's no reason a mechanical switch should cause more
    than very minor degradation. Try cleaning the one you've got? A
    SVGA switch box doesn't know or care what resolution you send down the
    line.

    "Laurence Payne" <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:gv012194qs8jbcmvo73hof9pdk61qp7p6v@4ax.com...
    > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:22:28 GMT, "ushere"
    > <kaywand@REMoVEaBUSebigpond.com> wrote:
    >
    > >have two computers - 1 for editing 1 for net/office. each has monitor, but i
    > >would like to be able to switch (simply - no cable plugging!!!) the 'net'
    > >monitor over to the editing one when needed. i know there's various forms of
    > >'kvm's', but all i want is to simply switch monitor alone. i tried with an
    > >old mechanical switch (dos days 640x480), but the ghosting, etc., is totally
    > >unacceptable. obviously need something eletronic.
    >
    > The simple answer may be cable plugging. The next most complex a
    > switch box. There's no reason a mechanical switch should cause more
    > than very minor degradation.

    It depends on the resolution & refresh rate being switched.
    The higher one goes for either or both, the more degradation
    will result. Anything over 800x600 or 1024x768 at anything
    over 70Hz will result in severe image quality problems with
    most mechanical switches.

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:50:58 -0800, "Greg Coulter"
    <nospam@privacy.net> wrote:

    >It depends on the resolution & refresh rate being switched.
    >The higher one goes for either or both, the more degradation
    >will result. Anything over 800x600 or 1024x768 at anything
    >over 70Hz will result in severe image quality problems with
    >most mechanical switches.

    I run 1024x768 at 75Hz through a simple mechanical switch with no
    noticeable degradation. Is your opinion theory or experience?

    "Laurence Payne" <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:evj121ha8ff54ou38248v64hkmehptj2uh@4ax.com...
    > On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:50:58 -0800, "Greg Coulter"
    > <nospam@privacy.net> wrote:
    >
    > >It depends on the resolution & refresh rate being switched.
    > >The higher one goes for either or both, the more degradation
    > >will result. Anything over 800x600 or 1024x768 at anything
    > >over 70Hz will result in severe image quality problems with
    > >most mechanical switches.
    >
    > I run 1024x768 at 75Hz through a simple mechanical switch with no
    > noticeable degradation. Is your opinion theory or experience?

    Both. There's no easy way to maintain shielding and signal
    quality with a mechanical switch.

    On a sunny day (Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:11:17 -0800) it happened "Greg Coulter"
    <nospam@privacy.net> wrote in <38c3fbF5nhaa4U1@individual.net>:

    >"Laurence Payne" <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:evj121ha8ff54ou38248v64hkmehptj2uh@4ax.com...
    >> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:50:58 -0800, "Greg Coulter"
    >> <nospam@privacy.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >It depends on the resolution & refresh rate being switched.
    >> >The higher one goes for either or both, the more degradation
    >> >will result. Anything over 800x600 or 1024x768 at anything
    >> >over 70Hz will result in severe image quality problems with
    >> >most mechanical switches.
    >>
    >> I run 1024x768 at 75Hz through a simple mechanical switch with no
    >> noticeable degradation. Is your opinion theory or experience?
    >
    >Both. There's no easy way to maintain shielding and signal
    >quality with a mechanical switch.
    It all depends.
    What is important is tha tthe impedance does not change.
    I have an old Philips TV card, with on it a couple of relays, the
    VGA PC output goes to it, and it connects the monitor to
    the TV card (line doubler) or the PC VGA output.
    This works without a glitch up to 1980 x 1280 (max I tried) or so.
    This thing is always in in my PC, never a problem, but the leads are short.
    Already in the sixties we had video switches with relais.
    Shielding is not that important if the switch is in a metal box.
    I would expect no problems with a cheap multipole switch, if correctly
    installed.
    Else one could use coaxial relays driven by a switch.
    So, depends on the switch box, if it looks OK it is OK.
    If it 'smears' something is not done right.
    One can make really effective switches by having some contacts flip
    on some PCB tracks too, keeping the impedance correct without
    reflections to > 100 MHz. (very short signal path).
    There were (ever) even special switch kits to do just that IIRC.

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:11:17 -0800, "Greg Coulter"
    <nospam@privacy.net> wrote:

    >Both. There's no easy way to maintain shielding and signal
    >quality with a mechanical switch.

    OK. So I've been lucky, you haven't :-) The switch I have is a
    rotary selector mounted in a quite substantial metal box. Not
    expensive. I remember the cables cost more than the box :-)

    I have Two Dell 2001F LCD monitors. Each monitor has 4 inputs.
    1 RGB
    2 DVI
    3 SVHS
    4 Composite
    along with a 1x4 USB hub.
    I use these monitors on two PC's. Each PC has a Video card with BOTH RGB and
    DVI output. So I hook PC-1 to Monitor 1 RGb and Monitor2 DVI and I hook PC2
    to monitor 1 DVI and monitor 2 RGB.
    I therefore have two two display PC's
    [ actually I have 4 monitors on one PC using Two Radeon Cards one AGP and
    one PCI - - works perfectly.]

    "ushere" <kaywand@REMoVEaBUSebigpond.com> wrote in message
    > situation:
    >
    > have two computers - 1 for editing 1 for net/office. each has monitor, but
    > would like to be able to switch (simply - no cable plugging!!!) the 'net'
    > monitor over to the editing one when needed. i know there's various forms
    of
    > 'kvm's', but all i want is to simply switch monitor alone. i tried with an
    > old mechanical switch (dos days 640x480), but the ghosting, etc., is
    totally
    > unacceptable. obviously need something eletronic.
    >
    > any suggestions please?
    >
    > leslie

Tuner Cards Switch Monitors Graphics