  • Terminal
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
February 4, 2005 2:51:18 PM

We are currently running our software product as an Application Service
Provider (ASP). This is a recent change for us. Previously the
application was all on your desktop. In the new environment. It is
still an application (not webbased) that a user can log into using
Terminal Services and access our site.

We are having our site hosted at Navisite. The have the ability to
create Terminal Services accounts for us and allow access to our
products.

Navisite is requireing us to give them named users to set up the
Terminal Services accounts. In our case a company may end up with Two
Named users for navisite but may actually have more than two users.

The problem has been, that if there are two users logged on (using up
both of the named users) and a third user tries to log on, it kicks one
of the other users off of the system (no warning no nothing). Of
course, we don't have a problem limiting the number of concurrent
users, but we don't want a person to be kicked off. We want the new
person trying to log on, to be notified that they need to buy another
license or at the very least that both users aer logged on...try again
later.

Navisite has told us that this problem (the kicking people off problem)
is inherent in microsofts terminal services produdct. (a) is that true
(b) is there something we can do about it?

Thanks
Mark

More about : terminal services asp

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 12:37:44 PM

Mark wrote:
> We are currently running our software product as an Application
> Service Provider (ASP). This is a recent change for us. Previously the
> application was all on your desktop. In the new environment. It is
> still an application (not webbased) that a user can log into using
> Terminal Services and access our site.
>
> We are having our site hosted at Navisite. The have the ability to
> create Terminal Services accounts for us and allow access to our
> products.
>
> Navisite is requireing us to give them named users to set up the
> Terminal Services accounts. In our case a company may end up with Two
> Named users for navisite but may actually have more than two users.
>
> The problem has been, that if there are two users logged on (using up
> both of the named users) and a third user tries to log on, it kicks
> one of the other users off of the system (no warning no nothing). Of
> course, we don't have a problem limiting the number of concurrent
> users, but we don't want a person to be kicked off. We want the new
> person trying to log on, to be notified that they need to buy another
> license or at the very least that both users aer logged on...try again
> later.
>
> Navisite has told us that this problem (the kicking people off
> problem) is inherent in microsofts terminal services produdct. (a) is
> that true

What version of Windows/TS, what mode, and do you/they have sufficient TS
CALs, and are users set as administrators on the TS box? Only an
administrator, or someone who knows the logged-in user's credentials, can
log someone else off. If someone knows the credentials, they can do this - I
wonder whether that's what is happening. Have you actually seen this happen
yourself?

(b) is there something we can do about it?

I'm sure you can - but don't know anything about the TS setup.

> Thanks
> Mark
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 5:09:02 PM

Please do not post the same question as different threads to multiple
newsgroups, as you have different people trying to help you without knowing
what someone else has already suggested.

Thanks.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://www.workthin.com