Inbound connection to Win XP

How many simultaneous inbound (VPN) connections can Windows XP Pro accept?
And how many simultaneous inbound (VPN) connections can Windows 2003 Server
accept?
6 answers Last reply
More about inbound connection

    Desert Nerd wrote:
    > How many simultaneous inbound (VPN) connections can Windows XP Pro
    > accept? And how many simultaneous inbound (VPN) connections can
    > Windows 2003 Server accept?

    Indirectly answering your question:

    10 concurrent network connections to Windows XP Professional.
    5 concurrent network connections to Windows XP Home edition.

    For Windows Server 2003 - ask yourself what your licensing/network and
    hardware limitations are.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    No, not network connections. Inbound (VPN) connections. How many inbound VPN
    connections will Win XP Pro support?

    Desert Nerd wrote:
    > No, not network connections. Inbound (VPN) connections. How many
    > inbound VPN connections will Win XP Pro support?

    How about this...
    Less than or equal to the number of concurrent network connections...

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    I don't think that's correct. Going back to my Windows 2000 training, Windows
    2000 Professional could support a maximum of one inbound (VPN) connection,
    while Windows 2000 server could support up to 256 concurrent inbound (VPN)
    connections. I have to believe that Windows XP Pro also is capable of
    supporting only one inbound connection because I cannot logon more than one
    time concurrently. But I just need to make sure my logic and understanding
    are correct before I tell my client we need to upgrade the server to Windows
    Server 2003.

    Desert Nerd wrote:
    > I don't think that's correct. Going back to my Windows 2000 training,
    > Windows 2000 Professional could support a maximum of one inbound
    > (VPN) connection, while Windows 2000 server could support up to 256
    > concurrent inbound (VPN) connections. I have to believe that Windows
    > XP Pro also is capable of supporting only one inbound connection
    > because I cannot logon more than one time concurrently. But I just
    > need to make sure my logic and understanding are correct before I
    > tell my client we need to upgrade the server to Windows Server 2003.

    Looking here (at a simple instruction on setting it up):
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/xpvpnsrv.htm

    And then trying it.. And setting the IPs assigned as shown - I got it to
    supposedly be able to assign 65,536 addresses. However, in further
    researching (as Google works for me) - I suspect the limitation is still
    ONE - since this is a WORKSTATION OS.

    Your easiest course of action? Try it - come back and post it here. =)

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    With XP your limited to one inbound VPN connection...

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prcg_cnd_dbem.asp

    This Windows 2003 information page indicates a limit of 1000 PPTP or L2TP connections are possible
    with the Windows 2003 Standard Edition...

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/sag_VPNtopnode.asp

    The Windows 2003 Web Edition seems to be limited to one VPN connection...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Desert Nerd" <DesertNerd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How many simultaneous inbound (VPN) connections can Windows XP Pro accept?
    > And how many simultaneous inbound (VPN) connections can Windows 2003 Server
    > accept?

Connection VPN Windows Server 2003 Windows XP