Inbound connection to Win XP

February 4, 2005 8:47:03 PM

How many simultaneous inbound (VPN) connections can Windows XP Pro accept?
And how many simultaneous inbound (VPN) connections can Windows 2003 Server
accept?

More about : inbound connection win

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 11:15:41 PM

Desert Nerd wrote:
> How many simultaneous inbound (VPN) connections can Windows XP Pro
> accept? And how many simultaneous inbound (VPN) connections can
> Windows 2003 Server accept?

Indirectly answering your question:

10 concurrent network connections to Windows XP Professional.
5 concurrent network connections to Windows XP Home edition.

For Windows Server 2003 - ask yourself what your licensing/network and
hardware limitations are.

--
<- Shenan ->
February 4, 2005 11:15:42 PM

No, not network connections. Inbound (VPN) connections. How many inbound VPN
connections will Win XP Pro support?

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Desert Nerd wrote:
> > How many simultaneous inbound (VPN) connections can Windows XP Pro
> > accept? And how many simultaneous inbound (VPN) connections can
> > Windows 2003 Server accept?
>

> Indirectly answering your question:
>
> 10 concurrent network connections to Windows XP Professional.
> 5 concurrent network connections to Windows XP Home edition.
>
> For Windows Server 2003 - ask yourself what your licensing/network and
> hardware limitations are.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

February 5, 2005 1:30:46 AM

Desert Nerd wrote:
> No, not network connections. Inbound (VPN) connections. How many
> inbound VPN connections will Win XP Pro support?

How about this...
Less than or equal to the number of concurrent network connections...

--
<- Shenan ->
February 5, 2005 1:30:47 AM

I don't think that's correct. Going back to my Windows 2000 training, Windows
2000 Professional could support a maximum of one inbound (VPN) connection,
while Windows 2000 server could support up to 256 concurrent inbound (VPN)
connections. I have to believe that Windows XP Pro also is capable of
supporting only one inbound connection because I cannot logon more than one
time concurrently. But I just need to make sure my logic and understanding
are correct before I tell my client we need to upgrade the server to Windows
Server 2003.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Desert Nerd wrote:
> > How many simultaneous inbound (VPN) connections can Windows XP Pro
> > accept? And how many simultaneous inbound (VPN) connections can
> > Windows 2003 Server accept?
>
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> > Indirectly answering your question:
> >
> > 10 concurrent network connections to Windows XP Professional.
> > 5 concurrent network connections to Windows XP Home edition.
> >
> > For Windows Server 2003 - ask yourself what your licensing/network
> > and hardware limitations are.
>
> Desert Nerd wrote:
> > No, not network connections. Inbound (VPN) connections. How many
> > inbound VPN connections will Win XP Pro support?
>
> How about this...
> Less than or equal to the number of concurrent network connections...
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

February 5, 2005 2:04:36 AM

Desert Nerd wrote:
> I don't think that's correct. Going back to my Windows 2000 training,
> Windows 2000 Professional could support a maximum of one inbound
> (VPN) connection, while Windows 2000 server could support up to 256
> concurrent inbound (VPN) connections. I have to believe that Windows
> XP Pro also is capable of supporting only one inbound connection
> because I cannot logon more than one time concurrently. But I just
> need to make sure my logic and understanding are correct before I
> tell my client we need to upgrade the server to Windows Server 2003.

Looking here (at a simple instruction on setting it up):
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/xpvpnsrv.htm

And then trying it.. And setting the IPs assigned as shown - I got it to
supposedly be able to assign 65,536 addresses. However, in further
researching (as Google works for me) - I suspect the limitation is still
ONE - since this is a WORKSTATION OS.

Your easiest course of action? Try it - come back and post it here. =)

--
<- Shenan ->
February 5, 2005 7:28:18 AM

With XP your limited to one inbound VPN connection...

This Windows 2003 information page indicates a limit of 1000 PPTP or L2TP connections are possible
with the Windows 2003 Standard Edition...

The Windows 2003 Web Edition seems to be limited to one VPN connection...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

!